Flywheel options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WatchMyDrift View Post
    well i lucked out and found an old 735 at the junkyard with a manual. pulled that sucker out for 25$!
    I love finding things a the junkyard!
    1991 335is in progress

Comment

What year 735? Those got B35s in later years. It's totally worth it to have that B35 w/wiring harness. Early B35s are better for boosting.
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
        What year 735? Those got B35s in later years. It's totally worth it to have that B35 w/wiring harness. Early B35s are better for boosting.
        nah it was a 3.2/3.3 motor.

i also found an old 7 series that had the turbo.... but the turbo manifold was gone :(
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WatchMyDrift View Post
          nah it was a 3.2/3.3 motor.

i also found an old 7 series that had the turbo.... but the turbo manifold was gone :(
          745? I'd still grab the motor. Bolt up a better mani and roll with it. M102/106 FTW.
          1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

I aquired a 14lbs flywheel from a 1984 318i M10. I plan on using a HD clutch and PP as I am going to be running boost.
            450whp 524 lb-ft 1988 336ic In progress

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=250709

Comment

any new info on M50 flywheel on a M30 motor/trans/clutch setup? I know the 533/M5 is the preferred one but I have a M50 flywheel and a E34 M30B35 clutch kit. So will it work or am I going to waste my time attempting something that has been proven not to work?

Comment

The flywheel will bolt up - it won't work though. The short story is that the M20 / M50 flywheels are a slightly larger diameter than the M10 / M30 flywheels.

I attempted to defeat the internets running an M20 flywheel on mine, and it didn't work - there are two problems, First - the different diameter, although the difference seems to be in the ring gear, so you could try swapping the ring gear from an M10 or M30 flywheel to the M50 (although by that point you're probably better off just getting the correct flywheel).

The other problem is the starter bendix has a spacer in it on the M20 / M50, so the starter does not engage properly with the flywheel - eventually the ring gear fails. My ring gear lasted for a month.

If you want to run a 228mm clutch, then the Racehead Engineering flywheel is a good option if you can't find an old 2002 M10 flywheel.

Racehead also make a 240mm flywheel that would work with the clutch you've got:

My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Grab that 745i engine harness and sell it to me :-)
                  My Garage
                  2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                  1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                  1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                  Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Working...
                  X