Engine Bay Shave Questiona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Bay Shave Questiona

Hey yall, Before i toss in my s52 i wanted to get a few wires shaved and tucked if at all possible before my respray. Now Iv seen these posts covered on various other forums but not as in depth as i would like. Im planning on remedying this situation with a write up but first i have to do the work! Now I wanted to tap into the vast R3v hive mind and ask a few questions. Located below on the linked picture i have circled a few wires in green. I know they are relays and a ground wire. However i wanted to ask if there is a simple way to hide and or delete them without affecting the gods chariot in anyway. Let me know yalls thoughts and options and btw drilling, bodywork, and custom shenanigans are welcome!

EDIT: I am not circling the AC hose but the wire underneath.

Top circle: Ground harness. Can be attached to any solid ground point.
    Lower left: Airbag sensor. If you modify it in any way, you should just delete your airbag. Don't count on a highly calibrated explosive to go off 10 inches from your face safely after making unproven changes to the system itself.
    Lower right: I think you are talking about the wheel speed sensor. There is one on both sides. If you delete ABS, you can remove them. The DME/speedometer get their input from the sensor on the rear diff.

Comment

Agree with above.

If a really clean and empty engine bay is your top priority, delete things like the abs and airbag sensors. Makes the end product a lot cleaner and simple.

if you want to retain these items for whatever reason, your bay won't look nearly as naked as some of the stuff that is out there.
      My previous build (currently E30-less)
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Well i already tossed the airbag out when i put my mtech wheel on so i can get rid of those i believe. Also will this cause the lil air bag light to come on or should i just disable that as well? And unfortunately i want my ABS, im trying to get the best of both worlds which is always impossible.

As far as what im wanting to achieve im looking to remove everything i can. I was going to make custom containers for the Rad overflow, and windshield wiper fluid containers and relocate them to where the current Rad fluid box is. From there im going to move as many wires as i can to hide them from view.

This is what im going for but i know i wont achieve as i want all the creature comforts plus a car that runs =P

http://i.imgur.com/VSdaaRV.jpg

Comment

Impossible to get one that unobstructed. If you look close the belts, Coolant Hoses are not installed yet. Neither are the plug wires. They look to be pulled back for the photo. Awesome engine bay though!!
          sigpic
          Steve Corbett
          1983 528E Scrapped
          1983 528E Sold
          1984 745I
          1984 325E - Sold
          1989 325I Bronzit-Sold
          1989 325I Zinno
          1988 635CSI

Comment

Heh yea, no belts, no coolant, no ground wires makes for a car that doesn't run. I like the overall bare bones approach of it tho. I figure you can relocate certain bits and make it look somewhat clean. I wanted to try and retrofit the newish 3 series reservoir under the fender like this.

http://i.imgur.com/GwCyTYK.jpg

But electrical has never been my strongest suit. and i fear it would stick out a bit.

Comment

I agree, It would take a little engineering but the results would look awesome.
              sigpic
              Steve Corbett
              1983 528E Scrapped
              1983 528E Sold
              1984 745I
              1984 325E - Sold
              1989 325I Bronzit-Sold
              1989 325I Zinno
              1988 635CSI

Comment

I took the shock tower ground and attached it to the hood latch bracket beside the battery try, then it just tucks behind the M3 firewall cover.

My abs wiring on that side runs down where all the A/C stuff is up front, down the underside of the frame rail into the wheel well from the front. It's tight, but with a few Adel clamps on the wire it works. (I only did this because the hole it would go through otherwise is like 1.5" from my manifold)
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

For washer reservoir, I saw that option and would love to do something like that, but it seemed easier to order a generic one off ebay and mount it in what's left of the battery tray.
                  Originally posted by priapism
                  My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                  Originally posted by shameson
                  Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                    I took the shock tower ground and attached it to the hood latch bracket beside the battery try, then it just tucks behind the M3 firewall cover.

My abs wiring on that side runs down where all the A/C stuff is up front, down the underside of the frame rail into the wheel well from the front. It's tight, but with a few Adel clamps on the wire it works. (I only did this because the hole it would go through otherwise is like 1.5" from my manifold)
                    Think the same trick with the shock tower ground to the hood latch will work once i have my S52 in there? I think the wiring harness is a bit bigger and requires a different cover to hide the wires.

That or im smoking too much and have confused the wiring covers lol.

Comment

Also is there a way to remove the airbag wiring without fking anything up? I did a quick google search and turned up a whole lot of nothing.

Im resisting the urge to just get my wire cutters and casually snip things.

Comment

Remove airbag wiring

I just traced all wiring starting with the steering column connector, the computer under the dash and the 2 actuator boxes in the engine compartment which need torx no-tamper sockets. Bitch of a fiddley little job but I was worried about the stability of 25+ y/o igniters plus installed a new steering wheel. Kept everything in case the 3rd owner wants to reinstall it.

Comment

There was a guy on here a while back with an e30m3 s54 swap that mounted the ABS pump under the tray, but in the same area. Made it look even cleaner, and kept ABS.
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:
                          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
                          X