Renown Steering wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renown Steering wheels

Scott from Renown sent us a wheel this week so I thought Id post my thoughts on his product.
    I got the silver Monoco with perforated leather.
    Im going to admit I was a little skeptical of what Id end up with at this price point . The wheel weighs 2.6 ounces with horn button. I physically tried to twist and flex the wheel in my hands and laid it on the floor and put my weight on the center of the wheel to see what it would do. No ill effects.
    If youve ever been in an R32 this perforated leather appears to be identical to what VW uses.
    Stitching is done well and is smooth. I dont know anything about stitching material so I cant comment on what is used and of its quality but to the laymans eye its fine.
    Scott may be able to give you more specifics on that. This is strictly personal preference but I think on next wheel I will get the black spokes. This is an attractive wheel in all regards but black would suit me better from an aesthetics point of view.
    My only other complaint, and this is minor is the installation instructions. On his site he suggests using a zip tie to attach the horn wire. My preference would be to simply drill a small hole in your wheel hub and attach that wire with a self tapping screw for a more permanent professional install.
    Bottom line is, at this price point... This is a nice product that seems strong. Im sure some of you have seen the Youtube video of cheap aftermarket wheels flexing and deforming.. This does not appear to have any of those characteristics.

Renown USA specializes in high-quality motorsport steering wheels, and offers top quality wheels at a reasonable price. Renown USA wheels will distinguish your build from other typical offerings. Available in a variety of finishes and stitch colors, Renown wheels are the perfect complement to any interior. Since 2015.
    We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
    www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Thanks for the honest review Blunt!

For anyone not following us on facebook or instagram - we are giving away a steering wheel for the holidays!

RENOWN Steering Wheel Holiday Giveaway!!!
    Pick any wheel you like, shipped anywhere in the world!
    All you have to do:
    1. Follow & Share this on instagram @renownusa.
    2. Like & Share our Facebook page.
    Contest ends Sunday 12/21. Random Winner announced 12/22.
    Please tag us @renownusa #renownusa on your posts to make sure you are entered!

All wheels and specs are at: www.renownusa.com
    91 DS S52 Slicktop, 91 Calypso M42, 89 Royalblau M20, 84 Bahama Beige 323i, M535, Euro e24, ap1

www.RenownUSA.com
    ig @RenownUSA / @rude.scott

Comment

I have been wondering where these are made at, I assume you know since you are a distributor/seller?

I do not have interest in replacing my MOMO, just wondering and saw that question was not answered in your FAQ.
      ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
      ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
      ~ '87 535
      ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
      ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Originally posted by blunttech View Post
        Scott from Renown sent us a wheel this week so I thought Id post my thoughts on his product.
        I got the silver Monoco with perforated leather.
        Im going to admit I was a little skeptical of what Id end up with at this price point . The wheel weighs 2.6 ounces with horn button. I physically tried to twist and flex the wheel in my hands and laid it on the floor and put my weight on the center of the wheel to see what it would do. No ill effects.
        If youve ever been in an R32 this perforated leather appears to be identical to what VW uses.
        Stitching is done well and is smooth. I dont know anything about stitching material so I cant comment on what is used and of its quality but to the laymans eye its fine.
        Scott may be able to give you more specifics on that. This is strictly personal preference but I think on next wheel I will get the black spokes. This is an attractive wheel in all regards but black would suit me better from an aesthetics point of view.
        My only other complaint, and this is minor is the installation instructions. On his site he suggests using a zip tie to attach the horn wire. My preference would be to simply drill a small hole in your wheel hub and attach that wire with a self tapping screw for a more permanent professional install.
        Bottom line is, at this price point... This is a nice product that seems strong. Im sure some of you have seen the Youtube video of cheap aftermarket wheels flexing and deforming.. This does not appear to have any of those characteristics.

http://www.renownusa.com/category/steering-wheels
        I don't get the price point reference. These are maybe $20 cheaper than the Momo competition that they're exact copies of.
        Build Threads:
        Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
          I don't get the price point reference. These are maybe $20 cheaper than the Momo competition that they're exact copies of.
          Dude this is r3v. 20 bucks gets you a used timing belt or a low mileage head gasket
          We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
          www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by blunttech View Post
            Dude this is r3v. 20 bucks gets you a used timing belt or a low mileage head gasket

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
            IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

Just got mine!

Can't wait to get it in the car! It is the 130R.

Hmmm...pic will not post. Sorry.

Comment

Honestly guys.... i find renown wheels are pretty shitty and are way over priced.. I would stay away.

My friend had one ..got rid of it after 2 days.

The side spokes... have just piece of fabric glued on. Don't let the pictures fool you. Just my 2 cents.

They're over priced replicas.

Comment

Originally posted by e30blue View Post
                  Honestly guys.... i find renown wheels are pretty shitty and are way over priced.. I would stay away.

The side spokes... have just piece of fabric glued on. Don't let the pictures fool you. Just my 2 cents.

Completely agree, they're trash.

image (10) by serdar.gurhan, on Flickr
                  PM me for custom shift knobs and stickers!
                  Originally posted by marshallnoise
                  You ain't done working on a car unless you are bleeding.

Comment

Mines held up pretty good for almost 1.5 years and close to 30,000 miles of daily driving. I had the motorsports stitching on the black Monaco and perforated leather. Besides the black spokes fading to a goldish bronze color its been solid.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by e30blue View Post

Alpina does same thing. But yea i can say over all i wasnt enthused with the quality. Specially once i had a real alpina/momo wheel

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

so what you're saying is

i should just buy a nardi?
                        Originally posted by Vokuhila
                        I laughed, and then I serioused

Comment

Mine is holding up as well been about 1.5 years. I have the 130R with motorsport stitch in perforated leather. Been through 3 track days and about 10,000kms daily, no fade whatsoever on mine. Leather still feels nice and soft.

Comment

Got my 130R installed on Saturday night and broke it in the very next day at the CCA AutoX! This is the best wheel I've ever felt and it is built extremely well. I got the 130R in suede and white stitching and there are zero flaws with the material anywhere. When I received the wheel, I did the weight tests also, I did everything from trying to flex it with my own hands to doing push ups with it and putting my weight on it. No give at all. I went from the 380mm 3 spoke to this one, which is a 350mm for those unsure, and it makes it a totally different feel in a fantastic way. Very confidence inspiring and a great feel to the way it fits in your hands. It literally took me 7 minutes to install everything and it's the best mod for the time I can think of. If you've never turned a wrench on a car, this might take you 8 minutes. The communication I received from Scott, aka Animal on here, was 10/10 and he is a massive E30 guy so you never feel like you're talking business with him because it's half about the wheel and half about go fast parts! All in all, this wheel is fantastic, Scott is immensely helpful and knowledgeable and I'm gonna be running a Renown in every car from here on out. If you're considering one, just do it ;D
                            Attached Files
                            C6Z
                            S2K
                            VeloN

Comment

no complaints with my renown wheel here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              My Garage
                              09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
                              09 E92 335i Msport
                              09 E70 X5 4.8
                              88 325es - Build Thread - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=383423
                              87 325i m50 swap
                              87 325es

Comment

Working...
                              X