Reman front axles for $200 total from Detroit Axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EyExR View Post
    Wow. Nothing to lose here! I just bought a pair for the heck of it. If they're good I'm sure they'll get gobbled up quickly. Fingers crossed!
    Yeah I sent them a email. Looks like they are out of stock for both sides already. Haven't got a update on shipping yet.
    Build Thread
    https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
    Parts Thread
    https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

Yup. I knew it was too good to be true. They don't have them. They cancelled my order and are returning payment.
      My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

Originally posted by EyExR View Post
        Yup. I knew it was too good to be true. They don't have them. They cancelled my order and are returning payment.
        What the hell, it was worth a shot. Definitely a shame though...
        Build Thread
        https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
        Parts Thread
        https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

For those in need, I ended up using cvjaxels out of Colorado. No affiliation, it is the first time I have used them and I do not have it yet mounted. That said, after calling several places both my mechanic and I were more comfortable with what they had to say up front and about thier rebuild process. It was $269 each not including shipping. They only charged $10 to ship it back. They were well aware of the E30ix CV units, upfront we were advised that those ix units they due not stock cores but they due stock the parts to rebuild a set, parts used are OEM where available, they do a full rebuild and they don't like chineese parts or knock off's. The units are properly tested, and a full warranty offered. Some of the other places needed to see the axels before and would not or could not advise what they replace or service upfront. We decided to go with CVJAXELS. It took them a few days after receiving, maybe 2. Once it was ready they called for payment and literally shipped it back that same day it was paid. My mechanic said it looks perrfect and original with high quality work, its not just a fresh coat of paint and a boot. I am no expert nor a mechanic but rebuilt units for $100 or so is not something I'd trust if your truly looking for a long term as close to new part as possible. For a full proper remanufacture I believe the parts alone amount to $100 so what can you be getting?

I have no experience with Detroit Axels and they were not one of the places I/we called so to be fair, this is not a negative against them...

Max

Comment

I have heard good things about cvjaxles before. And it looks like my experience with Detroit Axles is still holding true!
            AWD > RWD

Comment

CVJAxles is great. They are very helpful, but if you have any worn parts, such as a cracked cage or any wear in the CV joint housing they won't be able to rebuild as they have no cores or parts for iX axles. I sourced my own used parts and brought them in and they were able to rebuild one axle for me with great results.

As being relatively new to the forum, and maybe this is a stupid question, but has anyone ever looked at cages and ball bearing sizes in other readily available axles (maybe Subaru or similar) that would work if you had good iX CV housings and inner races?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisbike View Post
                What the hell, it was worth a shot. Definitely a shame though...
                Definitely worth a shot! No harm no foul.
                My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

says sold out
                  Red-ish 89 325ix with dent in the door, bad paint, missing center caps, broken defrost, broken ac, p/s pump may be going, brake pad sensors missing. On the plus side i just had the trannie and tc fixed for 2 grand!!

Comment

Still need to get both passenger CV shafts rebuilt. both sets click.

Would you believe i have a set with 300k on them? Probably 80k lowered, and I beat the shit out of the car during that time. Ironically, I had no issues until i raised the car 1/4"... Then it started making noise. And the "low miles" set (180k) is in the worst shape. The main reason i dont drive the E30 more is I don't want to further damage the shafts.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

My 300k set (possibly 400k) are in better shape than my 160k set as well. I wish we could source the cages so we could rebuild them ourselves. Wouldn't it have been convenient if the rear axle cages were the same size?
                      AWD > RWD

Comment

A guy wrote on my Instagram that when he ordered a CV boot he got a boot that was marked with "Volvo" but it did fit.
                        Doesn't mean the internals will fit, but if the boot fits at least the odds are better :)

At least on the 525ix the front CVs are German brand, GKN Loebro. So maybe Audi could use similar parts?
                        E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
                        E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
                        E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Maybe a future hobby will be collecting cv axles from german vehicles at the junkyard and seeing if the cages match up. Seems like a long, expensive, tiring road for very little pay off though.
                          AWD > RWD

Comment

I think it's usually the outters that wear out. You could probably more easily adapt a rear CV joint to fit up front. Assuming the splines for the hubs are the same.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yeah, I think so too. My outer passenger side is what's clicking (on my 160k mile set.)
                              AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                                Maybe a future hobby will be collecting cv axles from german vehicles at the junkyard and seeing if the cages match up. Seems like a long, expensive, tiring road for very little pay off though.
                                Haha yes :D
                                Originally posted by nando View Post
                                I think it's usually the outters that wear out. You could probably more easily adapt a rear CV joint to fit up front. Assuming the splines for the hubs are the same.
                                They are the same.
                                E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
                                E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
                                E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Working...
                                X