325ix... m50 swap, yay or nay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me so stupid... me sorry nando...

I do agree that turbo would be better and probably easier, although would still be up there in price if you want to do it right.

For my own edumication... do the same stroke and bore tricks work for the ix M20 as it does for the regular M20s? I heard the crank rotates in the opposite direction of the typical M20, which is confusing me because I believe my S54 powered 325xi rotates the same as every other S54.

Comment

no, the block is basically the same, crank rotation and all. I think it's the oil pump that goes in the opposite direction (I'm not 100% positive, but several ix guys have mentioned it). I'll probably do a simple n/a 2.8 as long as this car is my daily driver, the turbo would be fun but I would get in a LOT of trouble with 300hp under my right foot.

I think the swaps tend to cost more than everyone thinks no matter what car you put it into, and with the ix it seems like much less of a headache to bolt on a $5k turbo kit and be done with it. as it is, you're going to have to rebuild the entire drivetrain (no way I'd turbo my car with 173k on all those driveshafts, diffs etc), so add another $2k in costs..
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

After you surmount all the mechanical hurdles, you will come to a wall that is durability.

Since the LSD units in the transfer case and rear diff are viscous, they will break under too much stress. Mainly the t-case diff is the worst.

Hell, they break easily on stock 325ix cars. Too much wheel spin wil burn them up like snot in a bucket (which is basically what a VC is)
        Alex Melomed
        www.e30.us
        SoloRacer.com

Comment

Working...
        X