No announcement yet.

E30 runs RICH AS HELL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had the same problem. It was a clogged return line in the gas tank. I had to replace the tank.

Just check your return lines.
    '02 Outback wagon
    '87 325is 5sp
    '93 Kawasaki ZR1100

Comment

Grab a fuel pressure tester, tee it into the feed line.

Next, remove the bolts that hold the fuel rail into the intake, and wiggle the rail/injectors out and lay them on the valve cover.

Remove and jumper the fuel pump relay to turn on the pump.

Now, make sure every injector is dry and post up your gauge reading.
      -Dave
      2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

Originally posted by pharow View Post
        I had the same problem. It was a clogged return line in the gas tank. I had to replace the tank.

Just check your return lines.
        Oh my..I don't want to have to replace my tank ...

Originally posted by DaveSmed View Post
        Grab a fuel pressure tester, tee it into the feed line.

Next, remove the bolts that hold the fuel rail into the intake, and wiggle the rail/injectors out and lay them on the valve cover.

Remove and jumper the fuel pump relay to turn on the pump.

Now, make sure every injector is dry and post up your gauge reading.

Will do, just gotta get hold of a fuel pressure gauge now. What could change the pressure? My FPR is new..when I disconnect the fuel return from the FPR it's basically dry
        Originally posted by TSI
        ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
        OEM+

Comment

Hmmm..dry? No way should that return line be dry.

Check the vacuum source on the FPR.

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
            Hmmm..dry? No way should that return line be dry.

Check the vacuum source on the FPR.
            Will do. I know the vac line is good, the actual line itself is in good condition but not sure if it's vacuuming or not. I know that if I disconnect the fuel return line from the FPR and jump the fuel pump It shoots out gas at the rate Bentley recommends
            Originally posted by TSI
            OEM+

Comment

How rich does hell actually run? Do they have a dirty injector or something?
              Ma che cazzo state dicendo? :|

Comment

Originally posted by b*saint View Post
                How rich does hell actually run? Do they have a dirty injector or something?
                Originally posted by TSI
                OEM+

Comment

well I am stumped ladies and gentlemen.

FPR return line looks good, I turned on the car without the line attached to the FPR and it was gushing out adequately. Vaccum line to it is..vacuuming. No exhaust leaks. all spark plugs spark. Oxygen sensor is receiving signal, main relay is receiving signal, coolant temp sensor is recieving signal, coolant temp sender is too. Switched out DME's same problem.
                  One thing I noticed is that my MPG's go up (according to the "all accurate OBC) from 10.1MPG to 12.7MPG max when im NOT idling.

fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
                  Originally posted by TSI
                  OEM+

Comment

It was gushing out of the fpr right? Meaning the return line could still be plugged.
                    971-295-7077

91' 318i

Comment

try breathing through it if you cbfed buying a fuel pressure tester.

did you funk with the afm?
                      RIP 84 323i coupe 5spd w/ 14psi
                      89' 318i

Comment

Originally posted by Blackangusinc View Post
                        It was gushing out of the fpr right? Meaning the return line could still be plugged.
                        +1

You need to put a pressure gauge in and check the pressure at the rail. A clogged return line will cause the pressure to be very high, thus the engine will run very rich if at all. I just had to replace a tank in an e30 because of this. The late model tanks return line runs into the tank and across the inside. These can get clogged, but usually from sitting and tank rusting and all. I would be a little surprised if your return line got clogged out of nowhere. However, since you're troubleshooting a fuel problem, you need to test the fuel pressure...

edit: BTW autozone or whoever your local chain store is should have fuel pressure gauge sets in their tools you can "borrow". Just put down the deposit and bring it back when you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackangusinc View Post
                          Originally posted by Gruelius View Post
                          try breathing through it if you cbfed buying a fuel pressure tester.

did you funk with the afm?
                          Originally posted by lennon View Post
                          +1

You need to put a pressure gauge in and check the pressure at the rail. A clogged return line will cause the pressure to be very high, thus the engine will run very rich if at all. I just had to replace a tank in an e30 because of this. The late model tanks return line runs into the tank and across the inside. These can get clogged, but usually from sitting and tank rusting and all. I would be a little surprised if your return line got clogged out of nowhere. However, since you're troubleshooting a fuel problem, you need to test the fuel pressure...

edit: BTW autozone or whoever your local chain store is should have fuel pressure gauge sets in their tools you can "borrow". Just put down the deposit and bring it back when you want.
                          Right-o, I'll go borrow a fuel pressure gauge today. I will be very pissed if I have to replace my gas tank ugh. I don't see how it could clog out of no where, my car never sits lol.
                          Originally posted by TSI
                          OEM+

Comment

Originally posted by lolcantturn View Post
                            Right-o, I'll go borrow a fuel pressure gauge today. I will be very pissed if I have to replace my gas tank ugh. I don't see how it could clog out of no where, my car never sits lol.
                            yeah, it's probably not the return line out of nowhere. just gotta see those fuel pressure numbers!

Comment

Yeah, fuel pressure and residual fuel pressure are both critical.

Closing SOON!
                              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

how old/dirty are your plugs? or your ignition system in general

my car ran like ass, and my exhaust looked like an old diesel in the morning. I changed the plugs and now it runs incredibly smooth.

Comment

Working...
                                X