1972 BMW 2002tii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1972 BMW 2002tii

So first a little bit of background. Up for sale is my recently attained 72 tii in fjord blue. When I bought the car, it had been sitting for about 3 years and would not start. The interior had been taken apart to clear away a mouse nest and was basically in shambles. The PO had literally a boat load of parts that he sent with us as well as a stack of books and literature and a binder of receipts and the Bently manual for the car. He also gave us some plaques he won with the car in the early 2000s at some concours events. I had always wanted one of these and it killed me to see it the way it was so I bought the car to save it and bring it back to life.

The PO was a really good guy. He owned the car for 16 years or something like that, I have his bill of sale from when he bought it among the stack of history. When he bought it he used it as a daily and occasional show car and placed in a few events with it. He then got in to racing the car and did that for 5-6 years in the mid 2000s. During that span of time he had rebuilt the KF fuel injection system, upgrades the shocks and springs to Bilsteins and H&Rs (I think) and upgraded the bushings on the sway bars to urethane. When he had a few kids he quit the whole tracking thing and converted it back in to a daily. He took the old engine out and replaced it with a fully rebuilt and resealed 74 tii engine block, head and intake components. Unfortunately I do not have the original engine parts. From what he told me as his kids grew up he just couldn't spend the time working on it that it needed and stopped driving it.

When I got the car, parts, and literature that came with it, the engine had not ran in 3 almost 4 years, and the interior was apart. So once we trailer the car home, I started tearing in to the interior. I managed to get the dash and all the electronics back in and sorted and organized all of the parts (currently for sale on this site in the parts for sale section). All of these parts will come with the car when it is purchased. Once I got the interior more or less together and complete, I dug into the engine. After diagnosing a dead battery, I replaced the fuel pump and filter with new units and drained the gas tank and filled it with fresh gas. I also cleaned out a lot of the intake vacuum and gas lines and replaced a few with better stronger ones. I also replaced the spark wires because the old ones were pretty worn and cracking and cleaned up the points in the distributer. I put fresh oil and coolant in it. When I first tried to start the car after the new fuel pump and filter it started but ran like crap, on 2 cylinders we found out. The spark wires and cleaning out the distributer fixed that problem. The car runs great now, has a small surge at idle but from what I've read that is sort of typical of these cars. I have not touched the brakes or transmission or anything other than bleeding them with fresh clean fluid (all of which bled just fine).

The body of the car is in decent shape. The PO told me a few panels had been replaced (front nose and hood) and the car was repainted. The repaint looks very nice in most spots but in others it bubbled up a bit (some on the hood and the fenders) and it is cracking on the roof. There is a dent in the front nose just above the grill and some of the chrome is a bit dented and faded. There is the typical rear trim and window spotting and some around the front quarter panel and trunk, but other than that the body is straight as an arrow and very solid. It has its dings and dents here and there, but what 45 year old car doesn't. The drivers side floor pan will have to be fixed up with some donor metal where the throttle pedal mounts to the floor, a common problem area on these cars as well as E30s.

Since I have restored the car back to driving condition I have put about 30 miles on it through the back roads and neighborhoods (unregistered and uninspected currently) and I have to say, the car drives, stops and corners very well. I have had a bunch of people stop me and say how cool of a car it is. It has a very solid stance thanks to the springs and struts, but it has a relatively soft ride and drives super smooth.

As it sits, the car is definitely a project, and that is how it will be sold. I want people to be able to buy the car and feel safe that the car is at a good enough state as it sits but is a blank slate as far as restoration or customization goes. I am trying to be as honest and straight forward as I can because I genuinely want the car to go to a good home. My goal was to bring it back to life and I feel I have done that and can now pass it along to someone who can take it in their own direction. That being said, as I put more time and parts and money into the car, the price may go up. Things I want to do to the car (or could/should be done by the next owner) are dropping the drive line and inspecting that and all the bearings, guibos, and exhaust, brakes rotors (I have brand new pads for it), and the carpet. My vision of the car is a console-less interior with a brand new carpet from esty, but again, I want the next owner to be able to take the car in their own direction.

Currently I am asking $10,000. I am negotiable on the price but I know what these cars are worth and how hard they are to find in decent running shape. Again, I want the car to go to a good home and I am very willing to work with someone on price to make that happen. The car is located in Burlington, Vermont but because it is unregistered I can't drive very far to meet anyone. However, if someone was interested in covering the cost of a trailer for a day or two I would be happy to trailer the car somewhere to meet any interested parties and/or deliver to a buyer.

If you have any questions please feel free to comment or PM, I can take more pictures of anything if requested. This listing is a bit more thorough on 2002FAQ and has plenty of pictures of the car including faults and problem areas, so I will post the link below and I highly recommend viewing that thread if you are interested. It has plenty of additional information and pictures in the OP and the comments. Thanks for looking, help me find this car a new home!

Zach

FAQ Listing:
    Hi guys, So first a little bit of background. Up for sale is my recently attained 72 tii in fjord blue. When I bought the car, it had been sitting for about 3 years and would not start. The interior had been taken apart to clear away a mouse nest and was basically in shambles. The PO had literall...

A few teaser pictures:

Last edited by zcenterb; 03-16-2017, 02:35 PM. Reason: Price drop!
    CENTERBAR MOTORSPORT - Check out my small Bimmer/Beamer parts and custom projects business!
    Instagram: @centerbarmotorsport
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/centerbarmo...?ref=bookmarks

The Fleet:
    -1984 325ei Lapis
    -1991 325ix Diamond
    - 2005 X5 4.4i Black Sapphire

-1972 2002tii Fjord - SOLD 7/8/17
    -1991 325i S50 ///Sterling Silver/// - SOLD 9/15/17

The Bike:
    -1980 R100RS Inca

sigpic

Beautiful 2002! Glws

Comment

trade plus 30k for really nice s54 e30 m3?
      1991 E30 M3 Brilliant/black - S54B32/5M
      1990 E30 318iT RHD Lagunagrun/tan - S52B32Turbo/5M
      2011 E82 1M VO/blk/6M
      1991 E31 850i red/grey/6M
      1997 F355 spider red/tan/6M

Comment

If it had the original S14 I would seriously consider that... thanks for the offer though lol
        CENTERBAR MOTORSPORT - Check out my small Bimmer/Beamer parts and custom projects business!

The Fleet:
        -1984 325ei Lapis
        -1991 325ix Diamond

The Bike:
        -1980 R100RS Inca

sigpic

Comment

Bump

The Fleet:
          -1984 325ei Lapis
          -1991 325ix Diamond

The Bike:
          -1980 R100RS Inca

sigpic

Comment

bump

The Fleet:
            -1984 325ei Lapis
            -1991 325ix Diamond

The Bike:
            -1980 R100RS Inca

sigpic

Comment

bump

The Fleet:
              -1984 325ei Lapis
              -1991 325ix Diamond

The Bike:
              -1980 R100RS Inca

sigpic

Comment

bump

The Fleet:
                -1984 325ei Lapis
                -1991 325ix Diamond

The Bike:
                -1980 R100RS Inca

sigpic

Comment

Consider a trade for my S38 E30? Pm me if interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

^ Tempting but i really just want to pass it on to its next home. I don't have the space for it and I could use the money honestly. Thanks for the offer though.

That being said i would consider a trade for an M3 with the original S14...

The Fleet:
                    -1984 325ei Lapis
                    -1991 325ix Diamond

The Bike:
                    -1980 R100RS Inca

sigpic

Comment

bump

The Fleet:
                      -1984 325ei Lapis
                      -1991 325ix Diamond

The Bike:
                      -1980 R100RS Inca

sigpic

Comment

Bump, love it but need it to be sold before winter. Help find a new home for this car!

The Fleet:
                        -1984 325ei Lapis
                        -1991 325ix Diamond

The Bike:
                        -1980 R100RS Inca

sigpic

Comment

bump best offer!

The Fleet:
                          -1984 325ei Lapis
                          -1991 325ix Diamond

The Bike:
                          -1980 R100RS Inca

sigpic

Comment

bump, need to let this go before winter

The Fleet:
                            -1984 325ei Lapis
                            -1991 325ix Diamond

The Bike:
                            -1980 R100RS Inca

sigpic

Comment

Bump

The Fleet:
                              -1984 325ei Lapis
                              -1991 325ix Diamond

The Bike:
                              -1980 R100RS Inca

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X