Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 88' e30 325i Touring build thread, wiretucked, ITB'd M20, Bagged.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the catch can setup and lines. Did you make a hole yourself in one of the intakes to plum the line or did the setup come this way?
    Ever worry that 1 cylinder is going to get all the oil vapor rather than spread accross all 6?

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
      I like the catch can setup and lines. Did you make a hole yourself in one of the intakes to plum the line or did the setup come this way?
      Ever worry that 1 cylinder is going to get all the oil vapor rather than spread accross all 6?
      To be honest i haven't thought about it, but you're right all the blow by going into the same cylinder might cause some problems long term i guess, time will tell.

The setup didn't come with a port for a catch can, we drilled/tapped a hole and threaded in the port for the catch can. I wasn't overly keen to just run the blow by to a can that just vented to air.

I also had a -AN8 fitting threaded into the blow by port on the rocker cover, so that I could run AN8 lines.
      E30 325i Touring currently under construction.
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...256444&page=20
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bmwandhonda View Post
        To be honest i haven't thought about it, but you're right all the blow by going into the same cylinder might cause some problems long term i guess, time will tell.

The setup didn't come with a port for a catch can, we drilled/tapped a hole and threaded in the port for the catch can. I wasn't overly keen to just run the blow by to a can that just vented to air.

I also had a -AN8 fitting threaded into the blow by port on the rocker cover, so that I could run AN8 lines.
        Yeah, maybe it could cause a leaner condition in one cylinder than the rest, but it's N/A so maybe it's not that detrimental. I mean, I can't imagine all these other unopened 25 year old M20's on the forum to have perfect AFR's either and they're doing fine.

I saw the line into the valvecover. Looks really sleek. I welded mine shut and plumbed two -AN10(?) fittings on the cover, but I have a stock intake manifold to conceal most of it. Your option follows your motor's lines better with the ITB setup.

I'm in the process of gathering info to change everything else to -AN fittings (fuel, vac, maybe even water) and your bay was a fun/informative example to look at.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Thanks so much for the pictures, like they say "worth a thousand words." One last question on the topic, approximately how many feet of hose did you use?

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
            Yeah, maybe it could cause a leaner condition in one cylinder than the rest, but it's N/A so maybe it's not that detrimental. I mean, I can't imagine all these other unopened 25 year old M20's on the forum to have perfect AFR's either and they're doing fine.

I saw the line into the valvecover. Looks really sleek. I welded mine shut and plumbed two -AN10(?) fittings on the cover, but I have a stock intake manifold to conceal most of it. Your option follows your motor's lines better with the ITB setup.

I'm in the process of gathering info to change everything else to -AN fittings (fuel, vac, maybe even water) and your bay was a fun/informative example to look at.
            Thanks mate.

I could see converting all the vac lines to -AN fittings could be a 'fun' experience lol will look great when it's done though. Rad hoses/Coolant lines would look awesome it all converted to -AN fittings. Wouldn't be a cheap exercise though since all the coolant necks would have to be threaded, or have a threaded bung welded to the end. Would have to be pushing towards -AN14 or so sizes so all the fittings would be mega $$$. But hey, would look great when done and you wouldn't have to worry about split hoses anymore :)

Originally posted by brett_duenas View Post
            Thanks so much for the pictures, like they say "worth a thousand words." One last question on the topic, approximately how many feet of hose did you use?
            No worries, yeah a picture is so helpful when trying to explain the smaller details.

When are you guys going to move into the future and start using the metric system lol but at a guess, would probably be close to 6-7 ft or so. But depending on how you're planning on running your lines, just measure befor you order. Nothing worse than being 100mm short when it comes time to install. lol I have been down that road befor...
            sigpic

Comment

I just ordered all the fittings to somewhat replicate your setup (love it). I already had the Nuke rail on order, just needed to get a visual on the hoses. Another question haha, how did you fit that -8AN fitting onto the valve cover? Did you cut in threads?

Comment

Originally posted by brett_duenas View Post
                I just ordered all the fittings to somewhat replicate your setup (love it). I already had the Nuke rail on order, just needed to get a visual on the hoses. Another question haha, how did you fit that -8AN fitting onto the valve cover? Did you cut in threads?
                Nice.

I had an aluminium welder attach it for me. Although, I'm not exactly sure how it is sitting in there to be honest. The original port isn't threaded and the fitting isn't welded in, so he must have used some sort of adhesive or something to hold it in there. It is solid, but yeah not sure to be honest.

I gave the welder a male to male -an8 to 1/2 fitting (if i remember right :/), with the hope he could thread the stock blow by port and thread this in, but apparently he couldn't thread it, but it is nicely stuck in there somehow.
                Last edited by bmwandhonda; 07-19-2016, 02:00 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

Photos by: https://www.facebook.com/hardparkedproductions/?fref=ts

sigpic

Comment

Those are my e30 dream wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                      Those are my e30 dream wheels.
                      It is a very attainable dream. Compomotive still make them, they are very reasonably priced too btw
                      sigpic

Comment

Seriously so good. Inspiring build mate!
                        1990 Touring

Comment

Originally posted by crxtone View Post
                          Seriously so good. Inspiring build mate!
                          Thanks mate.
                          sigpic

Comment

Nice touring, like the custom stuff. Makes the car look all that much better :)
                            Djordje

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Comment

Mind blowing engine setup! Very creative!

Comment

Thanks guys.

I really need to get back on these forums. I barely check them anymore...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X