Clear All

Sub'd, nice start! Sad that the vert got cut up... :(
    -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
    08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
    318iS, slow build/garage queen...
    '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
    Originally posted by roguetoaster
    Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Middday update. Waiting on parts from bmw. Starting on the bay.

Gonna wait on cleaning it until I can get the car outside. Currently being blocked by this

Stupid porsche racecars. :)

Thinking of cutting the valance out in the middle to fit the intercooler and taking out all the plastic shit. I dont think a puller fan will fit in front of the radiator.... the engine sat really close to the radiator to begin with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
      www.cp-e.com

1989 Zinno 325i m52 turbo coupe
      2015 Ford Fiesta ST, Daily Driver.

Comment

I got more angle grinder wheels today but didnt get to work until like 2.

Flap disk works great and the knotted wire wheel worked wonders on the seam filler.

Unfortunatley, I made a hole on the passenger side

So I needed to learn how to patch the hole.

I made this

And ended up like this

Hooefully I can fill the rest up.... as the wheel well caught fire while welding. This was my first time patching a hole and first time mig welding in a really long time.

I was going to do the rest of the abs delete but I thought I needed a brake line splitter for the front lines. I ordered it last nighy but turns iut it is discontinued. I lost the extra I had. Turns out theres an extra port in the master cyl for the other front line. I just gotta shorten the lines and plug them in.

Im going to cut and start mounting the intercooler and then lay down some primer and filler tomorrow.

Next week I feel confident ill finish putting the motor together and hopefully finish the bay. Ordered oil lines last night for the turbo and an intake boot.

www.cp-e.com

Comment

Today was frustrating. First I noticed some rust at corner of the wheel tower. I was debating just cutting all of it and going drift style, but to my better judgement, I tried my hand at patching again

This time I grinded out all of the undercoating before I welded.... still caught fire though.

Welds were also better this time.

I did some more grinding, took some more parts out to prep for paint. And started to fit the intercooler. I started with the fan still installed, and mounting it low, bringing the charged pipes underneath and up. Wouldnt work. Then I tried the usual way, mounted high up, no fan, sitting on the frame rails. I cut the valance for it to fit. I had to totally remove the brackets for the valance near the intercooler. I figure its still held on by 6 other bolts.

I also realized I cut too much of the valance. There would be an empty spot between the grilles and the bumper. Now that I trimmed it enough to fit, I need to reweld the middle part of the valance. I had to leave when I was prepping it for welding.

Im going to mount the oil cooler underneath it, and get a slim pusher fan.

Goals for next week:
          Get engine ready to drop in-
          Time it and put all the accessories on. Also do the oil return in the oil pan.
          Get the intercooler and oil cooler mounted, brake lines run, and bay painted.

www.cp-e.com

Comment

Just my luck.
            As I drove to my moms garage yesterday my daily, the cressida, started thumping from the rear. It wouldnt drive in any gear and still rolled in park. Luckily I was 4 miles from my shop, and I JUST renewed AAA, so i got it towed for 4 bucks.

Turns out that the axle flange in the diff decided to come out a little, and grinded all the splines off. The axle is toast too. Ordered a new axle for about 50 bucks, and called all the toyota dealerships in the area. Ended up ordering online. The parts person at one dealership didnt even know what a cressida was...

So that slowed me down. Now I need to bike 4 miles to work on my car....but fuck it. I have until the 27th to get this DONE. Its crunchtime.

Today I rewelded the metal piece below the grills and did some more trimming to fit the intercooler AND the valance properly. Im starting to get a hand of MIG welding alot better. I also started to make an intercooler mount, ill get pictures when I finish welding tomorrow. Hopefully ill get at least 6 good hours of work in.
            www.cp-e.com

Comment

this looks niceeee. good luck for you
              my build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=309778

Comment

Well, today was frustrating.

I starting doing the timing on the motor. Halfway into doing it, i found out the threads for the sprockets on the intake cam were jimmied beyond repair. Ordinarily i would just bring it from a m8 to an m10, but the bolts and washers for it are so specific.

So, I took the intake cam from my m52 alloy motor. Good thing I think I am going to just part it out because someone wants the block. But of course, taking cams out is a bitch. Uninstalled the s52 cam and m52 cam and reinstalled the m52 cam. Got the motor all timed and the vanos on and everything looks good.

I posted yesterday but i guess i didnt hit post. yesterday i made a bracket for the intercooler and tabs for the oil cooler and got them mounted on the car. The oil cooler will sit below. I did a ton of clearancing for the intercooler.

I also ordered a new radiator with a puller fan. I need to find the right fitting for the oil line for the turbo side. I am not sure that thread my turbo is, maybe ill figure that out tomorrow.

Today i received my muffler, and oil filter housing.... too bad the dude sent the wrong fucking one, its a non vanos. I have 4 housings now and none of them will work.

Sorry I hope to have pics tomorrow.
                www.cp-e.com

Comment

That's a lot of work! Looking good so far. Hopefully you get the right oil filter housing eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by squidmaster View Post
                    That's a lot of work! Looking good so far. Hopefully you get the right oil filter housing eventually.
                    thanks
                    www.cp-e.com

Comment

Well last night I was able to sit down after work and get some wiring done.
                      There were alot of extra wires on the e36 harness but im sure I got the ones the e30 needs. Its an auto harness with EWS so that can account for some extra wiring. If I had more time I would just make my own harness. The standalone needs alot less wiring.

The C101 is mostly done, just gotta clean it up. Tried my hand at sodering. Some were better then others.

today at "work".... I was really frustrated. My goal was to finish the engine, which means putting the crank and cam sensors in, alternator, WP, and weld the bung in the oil pan.

Well I cleaned the oil pan up for welding, but we didnt have the right electrode and the guys I work with didnt think our 180 amp welder had enough power. I may bring it to my friends house and try to do it myself with my TIG.

Then, the crank sensor bolt (that holds it in place) had a bolt stuck in the hole. I wish I had noticed this earlier. With the head on and everything timed, getting the timing cover off is a bitch. Then there is very little room to get the drill in straight.... and I was using a right angle drill with a short drill bit. I had to take off the harmonic damper and the pulley underneath. Finally after about 2 hours of drilling i got through (had to go through the bottom). Tapped it and forgot to take pics. It turned out a little messy, but it holds the sensor in.

I installed my turner motorsport alternator underdrive pulley i had laying around on the alternator, and cleaned it up a little bit. I painted the engine mounts and the thermostat housing and installed the water pump, thermostat, filter housing cam sensor, and belt tensioner stuff. What a great feeling turning a bunch of bags of gaskets and bolts into an assembled engine.

I ended the day installing the turbo manifold. This is such a pain in the ass. I took a ratchet with all the different extensions, and like 5 different kinds of wrenches. Some of the studs were so hard to get to i barley even got the nut started. I didn't get to finish but i did all the ones I could get with ratcheting tools. Tomorrow will suck getting those hard to get nuts tight. I had the tools for access but ill have to do it like half a turn at a time.

Heres the pics I do have.

Heres whats left to do
                      -Weld bung on oil pan and install oil pan
                      -put together rest of oil return line
                      -figure out final fitting for the turbo feed
                      -clean, bondo and paint bay
                      -valve cover and gasket
                      -wire the ECU side of the harness
                      -fix coilovers
                      -install engine
                      -fab exhaust
                      -install different spring in wastegate
                      - start up and base tune
                      -get brackets and install seats
                      - fab charge pipes

I have 6 days to do all of this. I am hoping to get the harness done by the end of the weekend
                      www.cp-e.com

Comment

Todays Progress...

Started out finishing up the exhaust/turbo manifold. Some of the nuts are near impossible to get do. I used a 1/4 inch socket and 5 different kinds of wrenches. Cant wait to go back and tighten it after i run the motor.

With that done I put the engine mounts on and tried to clean the alternator up. Not to worried about the alternator looking good. I had a spare turner underdrive pulley so I threw that on and now all the pulleys are there. Anybody happen to have the belt routing of a non ps e36 motor??

Yesterday me and my boss tried to weld the return drain to the oil pain. We didnt have the right tungsten and we werent sure if our welder is strong enough. I was able to go to ISP motorsports, in the same complex and their owner, Peter welded it up real quick. That shop (infinite speed and performance) is pretty cool. They have a twin turbo viper and a bunch of high hp supra builds.

Then I made the oil return line. The foot long -an line that came with the vibrant kit was not long enough. Luckily we have a stockpile of AN lines at the shop. Needed about 15" to get down to the oil pan. We also happened to have the fitting i need for the turbo side of the feed line. Now I just need an oil restrictor. Heres a pic of it next to the turbo

I put the valve cover on. Im a little sketchy about using the obd2 VC, I hope it doesnt melt because its plastic. My DP will be heatwrapped and my hotside is ceramic coated, im hoping that will keep it from melting. Eventually I want a nice powercoated obd1 cover and ill build a heat shield to keep the coilpacks good. Oh, i put a set of BKR7s in. I still had the plugs that were in the engine i guess in the junkyard. I think there was some sitting water as one was pretty rusty.

Heres the engine 90 percent done. Just gotta get it off the stand so I can do the flywheel, clutch and rear main seal.

i also cleaned the trans up and the z3 shifter I have. I would like to upgrade to the AKG stg 2, but ill be happy with this until I have a spare 400 bucks hanging around. I didnt get a pic, it was pretty messy. I didnt care about getting it perfect as its a trans, its gonna get plenty dirty anyways. I also decided to reuse the throwout bearing I had. Reason being, I have heard terrible things about the one that comes with the f1 clutch kit. The one I have is oem and only has about 5k on it. I cleaned it up, packed it with some bearing grease and now the trans is ready.

As I left this bad mofo pulled in.

race spec 3.8 rs race prepped. Just something better to look at then my stupid build.

This build is going to go into the semester. oh well.

Thanks for all the kind words those of you who replied!
                        www.cp-e.com

Comment

Finally more progress.
                          So today I had to get the part to fix my cressida. Luckily a buddy of mine had a bunch of them sitting in his shop. When your cressida pushes over 600 whp, you go through drivelines. He gave it to me for free too. It was the axle stub. Now i have transport.

We finally moved the trailer behind my car so i brought it outside to pressure wash it. Unfortunately, i didnt have one of the fittings for it so i just had to use a hose. Turned out okay...

I also took the engine off the stand so I can access the rear of the motor. I installed the rear main seal with the last of the oil pan bolts (2 of the oil pan bolts go into the rear main seal). I also did the pilot bearing.

And then I did the flywheel right before I left. 90 ft. lbs and some loctite should hold it on good.

Not as much progress but I didn't get in till lunch as I was picking up parts.

Also, I wrote up a post when I was timing the engine and i didn't post it by accident. The biggest update is that my s52 intake cam is fudged. The threads for the sprockets were fubared. I tried rethreading them to no avail. The nuts that go into them were too specific. Luckily, I still had the m52 alloy, so I took the intake cam off of that and will use that. I wonder how it will do with a s52 exhaust cam and m52 intake cam. It may even make more power as there will be less overlap, helping the turbo spool at low rpms.

Time to check things off the list....

Heres whats left to do
                          -Weld bung on oil pan and install oil pan
                          -put together rest of oil return line
                          -figure out final fitting for the turbo feed- i got it, but i need a restrictor too....
                          -clean, bondo and paint bay
                          -valve cover and gasket
                          -wire the ECU side of the harness- i finished the pinout conversion, now i just gotta do it.
                          -fix coilovers
                          -install engine
                          -fab exhaust
                          -install different spring in wastegate- using a 7.5 spring. May leave it there and put a boost controller on.
                          - start up and base tune
                          -get brackets and install seats
                          - fab charge pipes
                          www.cp-e.com

Comment

got nothing done yesterday as I had to take care of some stuff for school which starts monday. This is going to be a hell of a semester. Ill be working 2 days a week and taking 5 classes. Luckily, one of them is Internal Combustion Engines, and another is Formula SAE.

Today I also got a late start. I went over my buddies house to get all my exhaust piping that I ordered a long time ago, and also to move my toolbox to work.

I continued sanding and body work on the bay. I had to lay down another layer of bondo because the first one sucked. I Most likley needed a skim coat when I was done. Its not going to be perfect. I don't have the tools, time or knowledge to make it perfect. I think it looks good for now. I layed down primer till I finished the can and called it a day.

it was still wet. Im happy with it, i just hope it still looks good tomrrow. Ill do some sanding and another coat of primer and go for the color and clear (matte black with clear) After everything, its my racecar, and its going to be how i want it to be.

Also wednesday, I guess I did not realize, but the clutch and flywheel came with 2 pilot bearings. One was for a g260 and one was for a zf trans. I installed the g260 one, so i had to take it out and put the right one in. I also didnt have any bolts for the clutch so i got those and installed the clutch. The trans just needs to be bolted to the engine and it will be ready to go in. I am a little worried as I am not really sure what driver side motor mount arm i am running. It does not have the indent that the regular e36 one has. It worked before I dont see why it wont work again.

I am going in early tomorrow to get as much done as possible. Finish off winter break strong.
                            www.cp-e.com

Comment

Unfortunately, I have another picture less update today. I didn't really do anything picture worthy anyways. I had some things at work to do in the morning so I didn't have as much time as I usually do. Also, I have a class at 630 tuesdays so I left a little early.

Also, my m52 alloy block is being sent off to massachusetts tommorrow. I had to pack it on a crate, wrap it, weigh it, and measure it.

I took all the making tape off the bay. The clear coat didn't dry as shiny in some spots so im thinking about wetsanding and polishing at least the strut towers before the engine goes in.

I installed the new e34 throttle cable, and reinstalled the blower motor cover and hood latch release. I also installed the master cylinder and brake booster. That is a pain. I was able to get 2 of the brake lines i made in, but the flare broke off the 3rd and my buddy with the tool was home sick. Gonna get the car on the lift on thursday and get the fron subframe off to paint it and do the coilovers and brakes.
                              www.cp-e.com

Comment

on another note I had a long talk with my boss today about the wiring. The bosche ecu always had 12v and then the key turns it on. The DTA ecu cannot run that way, and I have to switch the 12v source with the key. I just use the turn on wire from the key to activate the main relay and that should work. Theres a voltage input and already going from the main relay output to the ecu. Just another wiring issue i didnt think i would run into. Also someone cut off the connection for the vanos so I have to run that outside of the harness because I couldnt feed the wire all the way back through.
                                www.cp-e.com

Comment

Working...
                                X