Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checked realoem and the intake manifold gaskets are different from b27 to b25. If I want to use b27 manifold + b25 throttle body I would use the b27 intake manifold gaskets to attach to the 885 head? The b27 manifold bolts up to the 885 head right?
    Last edited by e30onBBSs; 10-30-2015, 07:42 AM.
    BMW tech
    Umass Amherst
    05 wrx sti

Comment

The bolt patterns are the same but the port sizes/shapes are way different

1986 327i
      transaction feedback
      DIY thing
      meh

Comment

Originally posted by modernist View Post
        The bolt patterns are the same but the port sizes/shapes are way different
        thanks modernist (2.7i expert)
        BMW tech
        Umass Amherst
        05 wrx sti

Comment

Rough running

Hi all.

Recently converted my 86' 325 to a 2.7i with parts from an 89' 325i. I am having an issue with the throttle cutting out around above 2500 RPM (hard to tell as I don't have the tach hooked up). The car idles fine, but starts cutting with more then 1/4 throttle applied. If I keep the throttle open, it will rev up for a second, cut off, rev up, cut off, etc. Any idea what could be causing this? It does this at all temperatures and with/without o2 sensor or throttle position sensor plugged in.

The car ran well before the conversion; so I should be able to rule out old parts still on the car (fuel pump, filter) and focus on the new parts.

Comment

I now have ever conceivable part to do my swap and my last question (I hope) is regarding the exhaust manifold. I have a b25 dual pipe cat and cat back and I'm fairly comfortable that it will bolt up to my ETA exhaust manifold.

Since I'm un der the impression that the ETA manifold is a little smaller inside will that restriction be enough of an issue to justify grabbing a b25 or could it actually be better to keep the ETA manifold as the back pressure could help ?

...or does it really not matter
            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
            Alice the Time Capsule
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by Untouched View Post
              Hi all.

Recently converted my 86' 325 to a 2.7i with parts from an 89' 325i. I am having an issue with the throttle cutting out around above 2500 RPM (hard to tell as I don't have the tach hooked up). The car idles fine, but starts cutting with more then 1/4 throttle applied. If I keep the throttle open, it will rev up for a second, cut off, rev up, cut off, etc. Any idea what could be causing this? It does this at all temperatures and with/without o2 sensor or throttle position sensor plugged in.

The car ran well before the conversion; so I should be able to rule out old parts still on the car (fuel pump, filter) and focus on the new parts.
              Did you swap in the 325i AFM? Is it connected?

Comment

Hey there i have a 87 325is and im swapping a E block I had in it. If i get 17# injectors with a intake and the sssquid chip ontop of being the stroker, will this be a noticeable difference?? Also is there anything besides the block that i need from the e motor or is it just the block? Thanks so much!
                -Jimmy

Comment

Are you doing all the internals from the 2.7 block as well? It's the crank/rods/pistons that make it the 2.7L. Other than that, as long as your electronics match up to your head, you'll be good.

Just make sure you include the hall effect cog from the 2.5 engine, and not the 2.7 engine.

You'll notice quite a jump in Tq doing the 2.7 conversion, with a few more HP-- but the real draw is the Tq coupled with the ability to get more power out of the engine with other mods (cams/turbo/valves/ITB) over the 2.5 engine.

Comment

I'm in the process of assembling a stock eta block and 731 head to install in my '86 325e. So far I'm planning to use these parts from my '89 325i to swap to Motronic 1.3: engine harness, intake manifold, fuel injectors, throttle body, AFM, 173 ecu.

The issue I'm running into is that I don't want to have to buy a late style radiator and just use the '86 radiator I already have. I understand I need to use the early style water pump with the early radiator, but can I use the thermostat housing from my '89 325i? If I had to use a late style radiator I'm confused about how to mount the late coolant reservoir in the early engine bay.
                    My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
                      I'm in the process of assembling a stock eta block and 731 head to install in my '86 325e. So far I'm planning to use these parts from my '89 325i to swap to Motronic 1.3: engine harness, intake manifold, fuel injectors, throttle body, AFM, 173 ecu.

The issue I'm running into is that I don't want to have to buy a late style radiator and just use the '86 radiator I already have. I understand I need to use the early style water pump with the early radiator, but can I use the thermostat housing from my '89 325i? If I had to use a late style radiator I'm confused about how to mount the late coolant reservoir in the early engine bay.

Looks like its the same part # between early and late models. Should be able to keep the cooling system as is.
                      Swanny!
                      SUCKERS.

Comment

My car is a 1986 325es, I've been reading a lot of the forums, anyone who has done this to 325es 1986 can you help me. I need to swap my E head to I. I have all the parts from a 1987 325ic do you have any diy step-by-steps I can follow and also is this a plug and play or are their more components? Thank you for taking the time to answer me I really appreciate it thanks again.

Comment

The first post sums up everything rather well. http://www.strictlyeta.net/technical/328i_1.html this is another good resource. Read up, crack into it, ask questions when you hit road blocks. Good luck!
                          Swanny!
                          SUCKERS.

Comment

Thank you Swanny I give up. I do not want to deal with piston.

Comment

Question about using 325i pistons, eta crank and rods

Hi, guys.

So my car already has a late-model M20B25 and I am going to be getting a cheap B27 engine in the next week. My plan is to make a very cheap 2.7i stroker, and I believe I can do so because I have the B25 already. For current engine mods on the B25, I have upgraded injectors and a Conforti chip but I plan to go to MSPNP so I can do a new intake and tune for my eventual longtube header install. This will allow me to take advantage of the new displacement and CR as well. (And okay, so I am not counting the MSPNP as part of the cost of the stroker build since I was going to do it anyways...) A big part of why I am doing this project is because I have never done and engine build before and I don't want to sink a bunch of money or machining into the first time. I realize that in a lot of cases it is not worth it.

So here is a question that I genuinely CANNOT find the answer to, and I have read a lot of threads from 2007 onwards to see if I could.

What if I use the ETA block, crank, and rods, BUT use the B25 pistons and 885 head? I know this puts my compression dangerously high from what I have read, but how high? And can I just throw on a thicker head gasket to lower it? How thick? Would that thickness be too much for a non-adjustable cam? I have read on strictly ETA that 325i pistons require 2-3mm of shaving but does that translate to adding 2-3mm of head gasket?

I know that typically this swap would require me to have the pistons shaved to get down to 10:1 or 9.5:1 CR or get custom pistons made. However head gasket sounds the cheapest so I was curious. I have access to 93 octane fuel so a higher CR with my MSPNP sounds fun anyways.

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by LovelessAndroid View Post
                                Hi, guys.

So my car already has a late-model M20B25 and I am going to be getting a cheap B27 engine in the next week. My plan is to make a very cheap 2.7i stroker, and I believe I can do so because I have the B25 already. For current engine mods on the B25, I have upgraded injectors and a Conforti chip but I plan to go to MSPNP so I can do a new intake and tune for my eventual longtube header install. This will allow me to take advantage of the new displacement and CR as well. (And okay, so I am not counting the MSPNP as part of the cost of the stroker build since I was going to do it anyways...) A big part of why I am doing this project is because I have never done and engine build before and I don't want to sink a bunch of money or machining into the first time. I realize that in a lot of cases it is not worth it.

So here is a question that I genuinely CANNOT find the answer to, and I have read a lot of threads from 2007 onwards to see if I could.

What if I use the ETA block, crank, and rods, BUT use the B25 pistons and 885 head? I know this puts my compression dangerously high from what I have read, but how high? And can I just throw on a thicker head gasket to lower it? How thick? Would that thickness be too much for a non-adjustable cam? I have read on strictly ETA that 325i pistons require 2-3mm of shaving but does that translate to adding 2-3mm of head gasket?

I know that typically this swap would require me to have the pistons shaved to get down to 10:1 or 9.5:1 CR or get custom pistons made. However head gasket sounds the cheapest so I was curious. I have access to 93 octane fuel so a higher CR with my MSPNP sounds fun anyways.

Thank you!

Does a good breakdown of rod/piston comparisons.
                                Swanny!
                                SUCKERS.

Comment

Working...
                                X