Koni inserts bottoming out collar nut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Koni inserts bottoming out collar nut?

So a little confused about my Konis... Not much install info out there and the stupid instructions are all cryptic :p

The collar will only thread down this far

It bottoms out on the body of the insert

I'm wondering if that's what it's referring to here under III, it says up to 1-4mm gap?

I'm thinking of just cutting down the collar piece to fit...

Side note but is it referring to antifreeze or cold water or something on the top left of that diagram?

maybe you have the wrong collar nut?

you don't need to fill the tube with anything. maybe spray a little bit of WD-40 in there as rust prevention.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I filled it with a random premix of collant/water I had.

I tightened mine down as tight as I could. No problems so far.
      2008 335i - n54b30
      1991 318i - m52b28
      1994 fzj80 - LAND CRUSHER

Comment

Wouldn't the water lead to rust issues? I had one set seized in because I didn't dry it out properly...

The collar nuts are OEM :s

When u say u tightened as far as you could -- you had a similar gap?

It's supposed to be like 90 ft lbs :O

Comment

I used the same oem nut.

I didnt worry about that gap. I remember measuring it as slightly bigger than the 4 mm upper limit.

90 ft lbs isnt high at all. If anything, it's possible I over did it. I'm going off memory here and it's been a year or two since I've done it.
          Last edited by drumad; 07-16-2012, 09:28 AM.
          2008 335i - n54b30
          1991 318i - m52b28

Comment

the collar nuts should definitelys lip over the inserts

you don't need to use water or coolant, there were older style inserts that needed cooling but not konis.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

When using OE gland nuts with Koni inserts the gland nuts will have a good bit of thread exposed. The instructions call for adding 50ml of oil to the strut housing to assist heat transfer from the shocks. Unless you are really beating on the suspension I doubt the oil is necessary.
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Hmm isn't there supposed to be a safety issue with adding oil to gas strut inserts? Or is it fine?

Any way to get the 90 ft lbs without that tool lol?

Comment

It's about 50/50 on this board as to whether it's ok to use but I use a pipe wrench :/.

If you don't feel comfortable using that, you can try using an adjustable pin spanner wrench with a square drive to hook up a torque wrench too. Then again, you're messing with the torque wrench now since the square drive isnt where torque is being applied to exactly. Hope that made sense.

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.
                  2008 335i - n54b30
                  1991 318i - m52b28

Comment

Working...
                  X