• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Treehouse Racing - Eyeball Arms

Product: Eyeball Arms
    Company: Treehouse Racing
    Price @ review: $169
    URL: http://www.treehouseracing.com/

Earlier this week I installed new inner + outer tierods on my car, and last night I installed my new Treehouse Racing "Eyeball Arms". Today I got the car aligned properly by a tech at work.

Definately worth their weight in gold. I called Jon at Treehouse Racing and asked him to provide me with a pair of the "Eyeball Arms" in unfinished steel. He was more then willing to help with that request. They are normally only available in bright green.

Here are the pros/cons I have noticed thus far.

Pros:

Steering response and turnin is razor sharp.
    Deflection under load is all but non existant.
    Increased caster improves high speed stability
    Slight shimmy under heavy braking is gone (product of very worn OE CAB's)

Cons:

Ride is considerable harsher over train tracks, painted lines, pebbles etc. (This is to be expected I should think)

If you don't mind the increased harshness of ride quality over bumps and whatnot, then these are definately a worth while upgrade for your daily driver. Totally steetable, and super smooth installation.

Some pics:

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

great review jordan,

i think i'll consider these with my new car.

-cam
    Cam .W '91 325is

Spaz's 1991 Alpine White???? S52 Build Thread...

Comment

The popping might be from something else, as the eyeball arms are allowing more noise into the cockpit. I have been running my set for 8 months, and I have no popping noises, just loud cracks as the car rolls over reflectors in the road :D
      Good to see they are well recieved by r3v's most critical member :)

NASA MidSouth TT Director / GTS2 #018
      Mods: Coastal PS Fluid, 10w40 Oil
      Future Mods: Bosch Micro-Edge Wiper Blades, Painter's Tape, Spark Plugs, Freezer for Nutty Buddys, Adam Nitti CD's

Comment

The noise is definately coming from them. I can hear it through the floor.. no sound deadening. Its quite clear its coming from that place. I find they are too loose on the arm. They dont press on with any force at all, they are free to rotate and slide around with zero resistance.

Comment

I love how you take pics of all your parts on that glass table, it makes a cool backdrop.

Where do those eyebal arms mount, and what specifically is their purpose?

Comment

WHAT!?? Popping!!??

Popping!!!???

Yikes.. there's no "popping" coming from the Eyeball Arms. I'm worried something else in the front end is loose!. Seriously, Call me first thing monday morning Jordan. There should be NO POPPING!

Thanks for the positives!

Jon
            "Dr. Eyeball Arm"

Comment

Well there was no clunking/popping of any sort before with the rubber CAB's. Now its there.

If it stops pouring today I will jack the front end up and make sure all the control arm ball joints are tight as can be

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
                They dont press on with any force at all, they are free to rotate and slide around with zero resistance.
                Thats part of the design, this way they are very easy to install/remove for maintenance. The bushing material is very slippery you will find.

NASA MidSouth TT Director / GTS2 #018
                Mods: Coastal PS Fluid, 10w40 Oil
                Future Mods: Bosch Micro-Edge Wiper Blades, Painter's Tape, Spark Plugs, Freezer for Nutty Buddys, Adam Nitti CD's

Comment

Alright. I ran the car up on my custom ramps (so my low profile jack actually gets under my car ) and jacked it up.

I took the passenger side eyeball arm off, and inspected it. All seemed well. The bolts were VERY tight, no issues there. Inspected all the ball joints and any suspension couplings. Everything was tight.

Put the eyeball arm back on and tightened it down, no more popping noise.

Only thing I could think of is that it was tightened down before on some very small "off" angle which was causing it to bind and pop.

The noise is gone, and all is good.

I had a very enjoyable slideways session today in the rain. Its so freaking easy to make finite steering adjustments to keep the ass end out there. :twisted:

Jon :up:

Comment

No more popping......sweet.

thanks for the review! 8)

Comment

Once again...

Originally posted by Eurospeed88
                      Where do those eyebal arms mount, and what specifically is their purpose?

Comment

Josh, the replace the bracket that holds the CAB and the CAB itself. It replaces that and it's purpose is to do what the control arm bushing did.

Comment

almost like urthane m3 cab...but better :P
                          Cam .W '91 325is

Spaz's 1991 Alpine White???? S52 Build Thread...

Comment

Do they keep the mounting hole in the exact same location as the E30 M3 CAB?
                            San Diego BMW repair -> Jake @ www.littlecarshop.com Great guy :up:

Comment

Originally posted by BimmerToad
                              Do they keep the mounting hole in the exact same location as the E30 M3 CAB?
                              Yes, they use offset e30 M3 CAB geometery. But allllooottt stiffer.

Comment

Working...
                              X