Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap/Basic M42 Mods.

What is out there?
    I've done some searches, but I want to see what could happen first-with a budget.

The car at hand is a 1991 Bmw 318i 4d. (m42 as yall know)

I've been reading about chipping, which is the best, and provides the best hp gain? also, exhaust, intake, etc.

This is a highschool/d.d/fun car that I'm working on getting all together so I can retire the Peugeot to a weekend/occasion car.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

mark D / WAR chip are the two best

Intake Is not so much a mod UNLESS you go Headling intake which DOES improve the car. Superspring/ REMUS/ Stromung or GTFO

Regrind Cams are an option for 300 bucks

m20 flywheel is a cheap option too for performance.

Or get a Supra motor?

[/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG
    Team USA Wrestling Strength And Conditioning Coach

Comment

I think the exhaust on the M42 is already stock at 2 1/4 you should jump up to 2 1/2 a better cat and muffter setup. The summit racing turbo muffler sounds awsome on the M42's. My buddy had a MarkD chip on his M42 and it made a big big improvment. Its pretty much the best bang for your buck.

Comment

hmm.
        i've heard about m20 flys, i think i'm going to for sure opt for one of those. those are off the 325's right?

lol...2-jay-z?!
        i will keep the car original-bmw.
        and the car will be staying with the M42...till maybe i'm out of college, and thats a far way down the line.

I wanna have a car that wont take shit from my friends' integras, subar-whos, yotas, etc..

i wanna do a 5-lug soon, and throw something like some m-system throwing stars on, and do the suspension all up, and do a lsd.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
        1983 Peugeot 505 STI
        1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
        2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
          I wanna have a car that wont take shit from my friends' integras, subar-whos, yotas, etc..
          Should of bought a wrx if you wanna keep up with wrx's. Mostly stock tegs and most things 6 cylinder and/or turbo from toyota will also beat m42 powered cars.

There's a ti in the south san jose pick n pull for your 5 lug setup.

Comment

No need to upgrade the headers they're already a tubular setup.
            1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

The ONLY worthwhile mod on a street driven M42 is a chip. I have used both MarkD and Turner and they are both great.

Intake and exhaust will do absolutely nothing. A lightweight flywheel is nice, but not a power mod.

Comment

I've done cams too, they are awesome on the track but suck for the street.

Comment

as per usual, making sure all the wear items/maintenance stuff on the motor is fresh will do more than most "mods", chips not withstanding...
                  BEERTECH

Comment

Intake cam is adjustable. Advance it 4 degrees and get a chip.

Comment

So you're going to take on that Integra after all?
                      :up:

Comment

Originally posted by dlmrun2002 View Post
                        Intake cam is adjustable. Advance it 4 degrees and get a chip.
                        it looks like BOTH intake & Exhaust cams may be adjustable .. (at least on my E36M42)
                        --Hayden--
                        '87 325 coupe- Trak Rat
                        '93 318is- 4cyl's of fury
                        '92 Integra GS-R--yeah, its fast..
                        www.G2IC.com

Comment

Originally posted by dlmrun2002 View Post
                          Intake cam is adjustable. Advance it 4 degrees.
                          I've heard about this, but I thought I read 6 degrees. What kind of difference does this really make?
                          Byron
                          Leichtbau

Comment

Pretty much a free-er flowing cat and rear muffler and chip are your best bang for buck mods.

RE: adjustable cams. The slots in the cam gears give you +/- 6 degrees on the standard settings. By moving them you can change the lobe seperation basically, all your doing is moving the power and torque curves around, you can get a few hp out of it but apparently absolutely kills your bottom end.

Take the heater plate out of the intake if you have it and dump a ton of old hoses just waiting to give you hell in the process.

Otherwise your looking at cams and a chip to suit.

The M20 flywheel is a nice mod, I've done it. You want a single mass M20 flywheel. And if you can bear it dump p/s and a/c. Also if you throw an electric fan on you can free up a few hp there.
                            Last edited by e30guydownunder; 10-20-2009, 11:12 PM.
                            - Chris
                            Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

Originally posted by e30guydownunder View Post
                              Altering the exhaust cam messes with the cam position sensor position (affecting ignition timing).
                              No it doesn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X