I'm back! Need a little e28 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm back! Need a little e28 help

Its been awhile but I finally got another e28! I just picked it up yesterday, I need to tackle tires first and need a little help. I have e39 528i wheels which seem to have the wrong offset. I'm assuming I need spacers as well as tires, I'm looking for the widest tires I can get (purely visually) anyone know what spacers/tire size I can get away with?

also, I have a caliper thats sticking so, any suggestions on replacement calipers?

Cheers! Good to be back

Stu
    Last edited by 02stu; 01-31-2016, 05:43 PM.

Here's some pictures of the old girl. 1984, same year I was born.

Comment

The offset on those E39 wheels should be fine, but you'll want a set of hubcentric rings since the E39s used a larger hub.

Rebuilt calipers should be cheap at Rock Auto or any of the usual sources. Or you can get rebuild kits for less than $15 per caliper.
      '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

The wheels should fit fine. I have e39 wheels with hubcentric rings on mine 17x7.5.

I have 235 45 17 on the backs and 205 45 17 on the front as any wider and they rub on the front suspension struts.

Comment

I'm in a whirl wind of getting things sorted, the car is coming along pretty quickly! I really need to find some chrome euro bumpers though and I'm shocked there's no good route to get them. I've turned to ebay but I haven't seen any chrome bumper kits. Can I just buy new? Whats the best route to go here?

Cheers,
          Stu

Comment

So is it a 528e or a 533i? I have a good set of brakes for either one.

Andy

Comment

I have a set of 17" wheels that are 8" wide and I had to use a 20mm spacer to get them to not rub on the strut housing, plus I had to lift the car a little to prevent rubbing

Comment

Those wheels should fit just fine, with hubcentric rings. Is it making contact with the rotor? Your problem with wider tires is going to be the rub in the back, if you don't have people in the back or items in the trunk you may not rub as much. I want to say I'm running a 235/45R17 on e39 Style 42's. I have a set of staggered style 66's, I'm going to work on fitting. I'm pretty sure it will require both cutting and rolling the fender.

Don't get calipers from Rock Auto. I went through 8 calipers before getting some that had the correct piston. If your not in a hurry, I'm going to pull mine in favor of a much larger setup. They have about 4,000 miles and new rotors. I probably could throw in the stainless steel lines too.

Do you need any engine parts? I have a b32 laying in my garage.

As for euro bumpers, they aren't to hard to find if you want to spend the $$$$. They seem to be around 650 a set now.

Very nice car, good luck getting her sorted.
                84 533i LS1 Swap

Comment

Working...
                X