Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dang. I'm running back and forth with whether or not I just want to swap an M50 family motor in my car based on the compression results I get next week on my motor. Seriously considering this jazz. Will save me a buttload of money doing this instead of buying an E36 M3 for my performance woes.

Thanks guys

Comment

You're welcome for the input. I have not put an I head on a regular e block with flat pistons. I wanted to see what I could do with all eta castings. Since the combustion chambers are designed for the piston domes and the i combustion chambers aren't, I think there might be a turbulence issue, and it would just be unefficient. Then again, many would say the eta head is unefficient. I do have a few pictures of the latest head I put together showing off the chamber and the intake side.

The best way to go would be to use larger valves in the e head, but then everyone will say it is a waste.

I built my 2.7 for around 500 bucks including the motronic swap. You should only start with an eta in a good running state. Higher mileage engines wont respond quite as well. I had solid compression numbers on all 6 for a good 15k miles or so with the i set-up (around 165psi) A few weeks before pulling the m20 I did a leakage test as the final head swap indicated a slight ridge on number 1 and more piston pin play than i liked. The results showed 40 percent leakage through the rings on cylinder 1 and 30 percent on cylinder 4. After pulling the head which was only installed for a month or two, there was a lot of carbon build up on my shiney combustion chambers. My motor had almost 400k miles on it though.

cowden's eta block had around 100k miles on it and runs great. e30_325es' car has well over 200k but it still goes strong.
      Old and improved:

Comment

My ES goes strong as well. Jeff's was quick but then again at the time I think he had a 4.10 in it for auto-X two summers ago.

Comment

Yes please show pictures!

I did not put my domed i head on my flat top pistons because of the different in chambers also.

The low compression will cause long cranking to build compression before it will start and will have a rough idle, but other then that the combination is strong and great for turbo.

But I still prefer to have piston to head match and that is why im waiting to buy domed pistons for the i head.

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
          1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by SchnellerVert View Post
            My ES goes strong as well. Jeff's was quick but then again at the time I think he had a 4.10 in it for auto-X two summers ago.
            Yea, i rode in it with the 4.10s and he was grabbing 3rd in it :D. Something about his car still seems off though. When I go from his to my buddy josh's, jeff's seems lacking.
            Old and improved:

Comment

damn i forgot how blurry these got.

well, i will say, i dont really think this is a great port job. I do think they all got pretty close, but i think the intake side got too smooth, especially right at the valve throat, and it threw off the turbulence of air and fuel. I recommend a really rough finish as it seems to work best.

her final hour
              Old and improved:

Comment

It needs better tuning, It hasn't tuned on a dyno so It is using a Mark D chip only and the FMC.

Comment

i chip

what would happen if i put an i chip in my eta
                  sigpic

Comment

I also have an eta based 2.7i I used the complete eta engine, and port matched the intake side to the I-gaskets, and ported and smoothed the exhuast side. Threw in a 284 duration cam and dual valve springs. I have to say it runs great, my buddy build a very similar engine but used the 731 euro head. He has just a tad bit more bottom end torque but I have more top end, so he can pull on me, but then I can catch back up.
                    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Originally posted by falcon64 View Post
                      what would happen if i put an i chip in my eta
                      Your 1.0 ecu in your 87 is not the same as a 1.1,1.3 Motronic ecu so it is not possible.
                      That is why you need to upgrade to 88-92 Motronic.

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
                      1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

what do i do to upgrade do i just pull a plug a plug and plug up a 1.1,1.3 motronic
                        sigpic

Comment

what do i do to upgrade do i just pull a plug a plug and plug up a 1.1,1.3 motronic
                          what? in english?
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

once again

do i pull out the i computer with the chip and plug it up to where my etas computer went
                            sigpic

Comment

do i pull out the i computer with the chip and plug it up to where my etas computer went
                              please read the thread from the beginning.
                              Old and improved:

Comment

Falcon64, you have an 1987 325es which is a 2.7L that has low reving intake, exhaust, valve springs, cam, and your computer system which is 1.0 Motronic.

If you want to have a higher revlimit then upgrade to 88-92 i fuel, air and 1.1/1.3 Motronic,,, for a detailed description please read the first post!

What is the last three numbers on your ecu in your glovebox?

Comment

Working...
                                X