325i vs 325is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325i vs 325is

I’m looking at buying my 2nd E30 and I have to make a choice as I found a 325i and a 325is and I don’t know exactly how they are in comparison with each other.

325i - $1500
    325is- $2200
    2002 C200 KOMPRESSOR
    1995 318i - M42B21 on the making
    1986 325e - Just another Project
    1989 M6 - SOLD in DXB

Originally posted by frost_dxb View Post
    I’m looking at buying my 2nd E30 and I have to make a choice as I found a 325i and a 325is and I don’t know exactly how they are in comparison with each other.

325i - $1500
    325is- $2200
    Got rear spoiler - emblem you get an extra "S" in the back:) Cool

Any model with an "s" suffix, such as 318is, 325es, and 325is, denotes the sport model, which only came in 2-door form. It can be easily recognized with its front spoiler with integrated foglights, rear decklid spoiler, and 14" BBS cross-spoke "basketweave" rims. It also featured a limited slip differential (optional on the 318is), bolstered sport seats, thicker swaybars, slightly stiffer shocks and front springs, and a leather-wrapped 3-spoke steering wheel (except '90 on, which had a 4-spoke leather-wrapped airbag wheel). The 325es and 325is also came with an on board computer, power windows/mirrors/sunroof, central locking, and a premium sound stereo system. In 1991 there was no official 325is model, although all of the aforementioned items were still available as the Sport package.

Comment

Thank you for the reply.

How about the engine are they exactly the same M20 inside out?
      2002 C200 KOMPRESSOR
      1989 M6 - SOLD in DXB

Comment

same
        --Will

Comment

yes, but gear ratios were different, giving the "s" model a bit of an acceleration advantage..

edit: read above as " this is not the correct info, so why the hell did i post it.." lolzzz see below. haha
          Last edited by löwenbröke; 09-14-2007, 04:47 PM.
          löwenbröke crew... ya herd?
          HSTuningUSRT|Southbend|Integrated Engineering|Boostvalve|ATP|

Comment

Nope, both (and the E variants) all use the Getrag 260. So gear ratios are the same. The only powertrain difference is the limited slip diff, which was an option on the I cars.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
              Nope, both (and the E variants) all use the Getrag 260. So gear ratios are the same. The only powertrain difference is the limited slip diff, which was an option on the I cars.

dang, i was quite misinformed then.. i read that somewhere.. guess they were wrong. and i waaassss too!! :oops::rofl:
              löwenbröke crew... ya herd?
              HSTuningUSRT|Southbend|Integrated Engineering|Boostvalve|ATP|

Comment

how about the exhaust? does the "is" got headers?
                2002 C200 KOMPRESSOR
                1989 M6 - SOLD in DXB

Comment

"i" motors have the same exhaust, sport or not.

Closing SOON!
                  "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

-They are the SAME, except for the stuff mentioned my bingm3
                    1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

If I am not mistaken, the rear dif. in 325is cars is a 3.73, in the 318is it is 4.10?, on "i" cars the diff. could be a higher ratio (lower number). The US five speeds used the Getrag 265 transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by dlmpsy View Post
                        If I am not mistaken, the rear dif. in 325is cars is a 3.73, in the 318is it is 4.10?, on "i" cars the diff. could be a higher ratio (lower number). The US five speeds used the Getrag 265 transmission.

Getrag 265 were M3's. Getrag 260 in 325i and iS and E cars. Getrag 240 in 318i cars?

Comment

$700 price difference for getting a LSD and "sport suspension".

I would get the "i" knowing that you will be upgrading the suspension anyways. Then spend $300 and pick up a used LSD. Spend the rest on maintenance.

I should add that with the iS you get the cool sport seats, but more than likely they will be in shit condition.
                          Claus Luthe is my hero.

Comment

Originally posted by dlmpsy View Post
                            all manual 6 cyl i/is cars had 3.73 ratios here, LSD or not. The auto 6cyls had 4.10s, along with manual 318s.
                            Jay

Comment

Not all auto's were 4.10's I know that 87-89 had 3.73lsd's.

Comment

Working...
                              X