E36/Z3 steering rack swap people: I need your feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E36/Z3 steering rack swap people: I need your feedback

I am debating whether to start collecting parts for a steering rack swap. I wanted to know what your impressions were with a quicker rack installed.

Rack swap completed, I am filling in my own answers in bold

1) What rack did you use
    2.7 turn lock to lock fom 98 Z3 2.8L

2) Is the steering effort better or worse than you expected (using power steering )
    Feels the same as the stock E30 rack to me

3) Is the steering response better or worse than you expected
    Not as quick as I expected it to be but certainly well worth it

4) Anything else I should know?
    Airbag car = clearance the firewall a bit for the steering shaft, also I didn't need to bend the P/S lines for them to fit

5) Was the rack swap worth it/would you do it again on another e30?
    Absolutely! It would be hard for me to own another E30 with a stock rack after this

Thanks!
    Last edited by Sagaris; 05-14-2012, 06:37 AM. Reason: Updated to answer my own questions after swap completed

1. used the standard 3.1 L2L rack out of any e36 you find in a junkyard.
    2. no real difference as long as you keep powersteering
    3. no real difference
    4. you should have done this already.
    5. every e30 needs this rack.

Comment

Thanks for your input, is the normal e36 rack really that much improved over the buick-like e30 rack? for 3) about the steering response, you said "no real difference" so I want to clarify.

If you have ever driven an 07+ Civic, I absolutely love how quick the steering is in those. If an M3 or Z3 rack can get me something similar then I will be ecstatic.

Comment

To save money and time the stand. E36 rack would be the way to...
        Idk about steering respons yet, havent got the engine all back together yet i have an M50 in the car.
        I had some other porblems with my trans so i took it all out to do CA's and Bushings with the rack.
        I went witha Z3 1.9L rack(suposed to be the shortest ratio)
        I got mine thought our parts suplier but perks of workin at a shop.
        but just pushing it out of my bay noticed a nice diff of not hand over hand turning just little over 2 turns and she was fully cranked.
        but its up to you. Your car your money.
        There is a nice how too thread on here helped me tons he had nice pic and step by step.

Comment

the z3 rack is the shorter ratio but you lose on how much you can actually turn the wheels. it's basically a shortened e36 rack. it's great if you're going to oversized wheels and dont want to get the steering rack stops but worthless otherwise because you are actually losing degrees of how much your wheels are turning.

I've really noticed no difference in steering response. it responds just as well as the old rack, just takes less turns to turn the wheels so it's quicker in that sense.

Comment

just takes less turns to turn the wheels so it's quicker in that sense.
            Yeah, thats what I was referring to when i said "response".

Comment

Having driven a stock racked E30, compared to my car the difference is drastic.

1. 1996 M3 rack with AKG's link modification kit / rack spacers, and

modified power steering lines to accomodate the rack.

2. The rack is precise feeling. Steering input is instant compared to stock.

3. Better, duh. ;)

4. You need to modify your power steering lines.

5. Absolutely. Fits & performs like it should've come with the car to begin

with. You'll pat yourself on the back everyday for having done it.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerpirate View Post
                the z3 rack is the shorter ratio but you lose on how much you can actually turn the wheels. it's basically a shortened e36 rack. it's great if you're going to oversized wheels and dont want to get the steering rack stops but worthless otherwise because you are actually losing degrees of how much your wheels are turning.

I've really noticed no difference in steering response. it responds just as well as the old rack, just takes less turns to turn the wheels so it's quicker in that sense.
                That's the information passed around on this board, but if you go to E36 sites, E36 M3 guys are swapping their racks out for Z3 racks. The difference? Z3 racks are linear, while E36 M3 racks are progressive-rate. Basically, the teeth on the E36M rack are closer together in the middle, and further apart towards the ends of the rack.

So, the E36M rack is a bit quicker towards the ends of the rack, but it's slower in the middle, which leads to less of a "darty" feeling than the Z3 rack. It's supposed to be a comfort thing, which most E30 guys would give up in a heartbeat for steering response.

I swapped in a very clean-looking E36 non-M rack (3.2 turns LTL) with my M50. If I could do it all again, I'd do a Z3 rack.

No change in steering effort, and while it is not completely night-and-day, the car feels less lazy than with the ssslllllooowww stock E30 rack. Having "tested out" the LSD in the rain with the stock rack, I'm very glad to have done it. :p

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                  .... Having "tested out" the LSD in the rain with the stock rack, I'm very glad to have done it. :p
                  I know exactly what you are getting at :nice: I got real sideways one night, automatic trans upshifted when i lifted the throttle so I had no useful throttle control mid-slide, and had to fight through it with the slow stock rack and a dead power steering pump.

wifes reaction: :tsk:

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                    That's the information passed around on this board, but if you go to E36 sites, E36 M3 guys are swapping their racks out for Z3 racks. The difference? Z3 racks are linear, while E36 M3 racks are progressive-rate. Basically, the teeth on the E36M rack are closer together in the middle, and further apart towards the ends of the rack.

So, the E36M rack is a bit quicker towards the ends of the rack, but it's slower in the middle, which leads to less of a "darty" feeling than the Z3 rack. It's supposed to be a comfort thing, which most E30 guys would give up in a heartbeat for steering response.

I swapped in a very clean-looking E36 non-M rack (3.2 turns LTL) with my M50. If I could do it all again, I'd do a Z3 rack.

No change in steering effort, and while it is not completely night-and-day, the car feels less lazy than with the ssslllllooowww stock E30 rack. Having "tested out" the LSD in the rain with the stock rack, I'm very glad to have done it. :p
                    Only the 95 m3 rack is variable rate 3.0 LtL. 96+ M3 is 3.2 LtL and non-m are 3.5. Z3 1.9 rack is 2.7 LtL, if I recall correctly.

Comment

small correction:

all e36 other than 95 m3 are 3.2 ltl

and e30 m3 are 3.5 ltl
                      Flickr
                      Originally posted by Indecline06
                      For some reason, when I get super duper ultra stoned... The M30 motor reminds me of big bird from sesame street.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerpirate View Post
                        1. used the standard 3.1 L2L rack out of any e36 you find in a junkyard.
                        2. no real difference as long as you keep powersteering
                        3. no real difference
                        4. you should have done this already.
                        5. every e30 needs this rack.
                        yup yup

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
                          Only the 95 m3 rack is variable rate 3.0 LtL. 96+ M3 is 3.2 LtL and non-m are 3.5. Z3 1.9 rack is 2.7 LtL, if I recall correctly.
                          No, the '96+ M3 is the same as the plain-jane E36 rack at 3.2 turns (I've got a regular E36 rack in my car). Incidentally, the Z3-M rack is the same as the regular E36 rack, so if you stumble across one, ironically, it's not really special.

The 3.5 turn LTL rack you are thinking of is off the E30M.

Comment

I've got a 95 m3 rack sitting in my garage. Would it be better to trade up and get the z3 1.9? Ie how much of a difference am I giving up.

Comment

I have a short z3 rack, no power steering and I love it. Quicker, would definitely do this mod to the next e30.

Build, break, repair, repeat.
                              91 300zx TT
                              03 540i Msport
                              91 318is track
                              89 Isuzu Imark/lotus 24hr Lemons car

Originally posted by george graves
                              R3v is a very different kind of forum - don't come here with your bull shit - we'll actually take the time to call you on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X