Cutting my springs.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deutschman View Post
    you are going to need new struts if you lower your car and you have the stock struts. the stock struts wont put up with the cut springs. they will blow out.
    Originally posted by Danny View Post
    If you do it your life will be filled with ridicule and sadness from that point forward.

these are true. i have done it and now i am in the situation of getting new struts. i never asked before i did. i just did it.

i could kick myself in the ass.

Comment

cutting springs is ricetastic. enjoy your horrible camber.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
      i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
      Originally posted by slammin.e28
      Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Originally posted by accident View Post
        cutting springs is ricetastic. enjoy your horrible camber.
        You'll have horrible camber with any lowering spring. I have horrible camber in the back. :(
        cars beep boop

Comment

dont do it with the money from buyin tires and struts you can get a nice cup kit.

Comment

and if your looking for a nice cup kit from kw it runs for 650.00 at horsepowerfreaks.com

Comment

rides stiffer--could it be the bumpstops?

join the E30 Cabrio owners gruppe
              click here for details

Comment

I'd like a minute of silence for another E30 lost to to uncle ben (instant rice)...

There are so many good suspension kits out there for e30s, why would you want to cut your springs? They are not that expensive either, unless you go for a full (legit) coil over kit or race set up.

When we see a pic of his car it will prob have chrome wheels, a huge wing and different colored body panels...

Comment

For late E30s, both H&R and Eibach springs should come with a dotted line one coil up from the bottom. Cut here for (slight) alleviation of reverse rake.

Assuming you have Bilstein sports or Konis who gives a s**t. It's not like an out of the box spring kit is going to give you a showstopping stance as it is or the spring will implode at the first bump. 99% of people (enthusiasts included) will still think your car is at OEM height anyways. I should know. My winter beater is on eibachs with a coil cut up front and billy sports. It rides awesome but it sits like a new corolla. No one is stopping me for autographs or high fives.

Also, for those who don't know, negative camber is the greatest thing since sliced bread(panera). Even tire wear is for city busses and the elderly.
                  . . .
                  Erik

Comment

Originally posted by E30-ICEMAN-E30 View Post
                    hahahahaha!!!!so i did it and i did it the cheap way!!!! basically i cut about a coil and a half out. then i made a cup that had a spiral in it so that the spring would still sit the same as before. And believe it or not but it actually worked and i love the way it rides!!! it is a little bit stiffer than before but that is what i wanted, it helps in taking corners. so i say hahaha to all the haters and doubters!!!! i will post pictures soon!!!
                    wait till you break one. I did
                    84 318I Delphin RIP
                    87 325IS delphin 24v Sold
                    89 325 Alpineweiss

Comment

Originally posted by ebelements View Post
                      For late E30s, both H&R and Eibach springs should come with a dotted line one coil up from the bottom. Cut here for (slight) alleviation of reverse rake.

Assuming you have Bilstein sports or Konis who gives a s**t. It's not like an out of the box spring kit is going to give you a showstopping stance as it is or the spring will implode at the first bump. 99% of people (enthusiasts included) will still think your car is at OEM height anyways. I should know. My winter beater is on eibachs with a coil cut up front and billy sports. It rides awesome but it sits like a new corolla. No one is stopping me for autographs or high fives.

Also, for those who don't know, negative camber is the greatest thing since sliced bread(panera). Even tire wear is for city busses and the elderly.
                      Are you on prokits? Back when I was young and stupid enough to roll on prokits I had the exact opposite problem with tuck up front and a dragster rear.
                      '89 325is S50 Track Montser
                      '04 X5 Daily/Tow Vehicle

http://www.avarestoration.com

http://www.myspace.com/brendanfiddle

Click here if you want to be my zombie slave...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fidhle007

Comment

haha i love it!

And yes its a bad idea to cut your springs i thought about it once and desided to make my car worth something someday and went with coil overs and koni single ajustables.. good luck with the ricer!:up:

Comment

Originally posted by Fidhle007 View Post
                          Are you on prokits? Back when I was young and stupid enough to roll on prokits I had the exact opposite problem with tuck up front and a dragster rear.
                          Honestly don't know, I bought the car with the setup. I only thought Eibach made the one kit for E30s though. Car rides awesome though, I'd recommend this setup in a minute to anyone that DDs their E30.

Originally posted by red87bimmer View Post
                          haha i love it!

And yes its a bad idea to cut your springs i thought about it once and desided to make my car worth something someday and went with coil overs and koni single ajustables.. good luck with the ricer!:up:
                          I am assuming the ricer comment is to the OP.

Absolutely nothing wrong with cutting off a dead coil up front, if we're talking aftermarket springs. Lowering is negligible(in my case enough to visually level the car) and the spring sits where it did in the perch before, so no issues. That said, cutting stock springs or cutting a ton of coils is just stupid, not necessarily because it's unsafe, moreso because your car is going to ride terrible and kill your shocks.
                          . . .
                          Erik

Comment

Honestly don't know, I bought the car with the setup. I only thought Eibach made the one kit for E30s though. Car rides awesome though, I'd recommend this setup in a minute to anyone that DDs their E30.
                            I'd agree with you if the roads are good! I DDed my e30 on Eibachs for a few years and loved it until I went coilovers... There is no substitute for good handling, just get friendly with your dentist. :-)
                            '89 325is S50 Track Montser
                            '04 X5 Daily/Tow Vehicle

http://www.avarestoration.com

http://www.myspace.com/brendanfiddle

Click here if you want to be my zombie slave...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fidhle007

Comment

Got me a new sig line!
                              Originally posted by ebelements

Comment

Originally posted by Fidhle007 View Post
                                I'd agree with you if the roads are good! I DDed my e30 on Eibachs for a few years and loved it until I went coilovers... There is no substitute for good handling, just get friendly with your dentist. :-)
                                I hear you on the coils thing. But as for good roads, that's a cop out, roads are pretty terrible everywhere!

I daily'd the last E30 at about an inch to two inches under where you are in your sig for over 20k miles. Just have to pay a little more attention, and know where you can and can't go. E.G. roads under construction, parking garages, any place with speed bumps, detroit, etc. ;)
                                . . .
                                Erik

Comment

Working...
                                X