A call for help-(i know i reposted)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A call for help-(i know i reposted)

So went to go get some AA batteries for my mouse, and 1/2 an hour later I am standing in the cold and rain trying to figure out how the hell im going to get my car home.

Im going to keep this simple; just the facts.

Hard shift from 2nd to 3rd.

Transmission did not go into 3rd gear.(LOTS of r3vlimiter)

Shifter has felt extremely loose since I have had the car.

Has had issues going into third.(But it might just be im not used to my new clutch stop.

Clutch will engage and disengage.

Transmission is stuck in reverse.(moved the shifter around, and it happen to get stuck there)

car starts, and it runs fine. Can move in reverse.

I can feel no gates or any signs of gears.

1987 325is Getrag 5 speed.

So either the shift Linkage is F'd, or the transmission imploded.

I need help figuring this out, and then also sourcing parts ASAP.

I have money, beer, and a pretty good collection of parts that i can offer up for any help or parts.Minus transmission stuff.

Also need to know, is if I can use any of the stuff off of my 85' 318i 5 speed.

So please anyone in Great PNW, please help.

for those still reading, the reason for the hard shift and lots of R3ving is I was racing my friend in His 89 alfa romeo milano. See picture below.

"I go slow, cause;Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

"...granny shifting, not double clutching like you should..."

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
    RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

ok good for you now go away.

Comment

That sounds like the shift linkage is going.
        I had the same issue, and it was the selector rod linkage broke apart.
        http://www.kingofeurope.net/2010/

Comment

you say you can not feel gates, but is the shift lever like a big limp noodle, can move it in circles etc
          if so, it is disconnected form the tranny, could be a simple clip, but the linkage can brake ( I know, mine broke when in 2nd)
          if it feels not so limp, just not connceting, cna be bushings

but your really not gonna know until you climb under neath

Comment

alright so it sounds like I am stressing out way to much. Cause what you guys have described is pretty much right on.

The only resistance I can feel is is just the springs that keep the shifter upright. Otherwise it can just rotate around.

Comment

I doubt your transmission is toast, sounds like a linkage...

More pics of the Milano please.

Best 6 cylinder on the planet.
              Originally posted by 416stroker
              well Fünfgang or whatever is the new ubernasty a whore

Comment

Comment

If you were closer I would be over to help you if you want it... But that is a bit of drive if I am not mistaken. Do you know if you have the sheet metal shifter support, or the rod that connects to the back of the transmission? If it is the sheet metal one it is probably just loose. Get the car up on some jack stands and take a look. Good luck.
                  Last edited by HellzMindPlaya; 02-27-2010, 10:40 AM. Reason: I can spell check!
                  sigpic
                  e30 Sold long ago - Too many BMWs since then... For now 2006 M5

Comment

Ya vancouver is a hell of a drive. Thanks though.

SO does anyone know if the linkage off of my 58' 318i would work?

Comment

Yes it will work, but you will not be happy with it as it positions the shifter VERY far forward.

It will get you around until you find the right one!

Closing SOON!
                      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

The clip holding the linkage the transmission might have just slipped out, that happened to me (twice, what the fuck?)

But since everything didn't fail at once and you proceeded to get it into gear, then stuck in reverse, it seems possible that the actual linkage is broken.
                        Originally posted by z31maniac
                        I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

hopefully it is just linkage

but if not what has most likely occured is a support piece inside the transmission has come loose and this allows the shifter rod to pop out leaving the reverse shift rod engaged and the shifter in the neutral gates of the remaining shift rods (this is what happened to the IX i purchased for cheap after previous owner was having tires install at a firestone shop )and the only way to fix it is to split the case apart to move shift rod back into place and reattatch shift linkage (a quick way to check if this has appened is to see if you can remove the allen bolt on top of the transmission which is supposed to be holding the linkage to the case )see attatched pic

bolt number #25 which holds part #1 to top of case

so while you are under there looking at the linkage and if you cant see anything wrong check this bolt if its loose or can be removed your going to have to split the tranny case to fix it. this is a common issue with hi mileage trans and the sloppy shifter/hard to get into gears is another common issue indicating this condition unfortunately
                          Angus
                          88 E30M3 X2
                          89 325IX
                          92 R100GS/PD
                          :)

Comment

nice Milano...I miss mine..
                            Hope you get your car up soon again.
                            Originally posted by 416stroker
                            well Fünfgang or whatever is the new ubernasty a whore

Comment

Car is going up on jacks here soon. Hopefully will just be linkage issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X