• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right now, sure, but not forever.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

An E36 S54 conversion recently sold for 14.000 GBP ($20k) when the average tidy E36 M3 3.2 Euro version sells for 3000 GBP here in the UK! So an E30 with the S54 would command similar money!

A quick update on my S54 plans, I'm going to a track day with the S54 and checking it out, IF it ticks boxes, I will be finding every penny fallen behind my sofa!

Originally posted by Deltron Dirty30
      Dean, has anyone told you that youre a spitting image of English singer-songwriter and musician, james blunt?

Comment

Originally posted by gobuffs View Post
        An S54 in any E30 is at least 2 but more like 3x the cost of any S50.

Yes mine is a race car.

Agreed, S54 cost is racing cost - not s50/52/50 euro street car building cost.

Originally posted by gobuffs View Post
        Oh, and the "the car costs $3k" doesn't hold water when you are talking about swapping in an S54.
        Yup. If installing S54, the car should have decent equipment in driveline/footwork setting alone to handle the S54. I sure hope nobody just installs one in place of a M42 into a stock otherwise chassis

Originally posted by nando View Post
        Why not? The price of the motors has come way down. I could pick up three right now for $3-4k. People were paying that for S5X's not long ago.

You must be primarily racing to need 4 maps? I could see the reasoning there for such a spendy ecu, but for us mortals with mere street cars..

I wish I had had 2-3 maps and HFM ability with the DTA, would have been easier to map with HFM than true electronic carby alpha-N style
        I'm guesstimating rebuilding s54 should cost 1500-2000 in rebuild misc items, not including the weird and obscure (and expensive $,$$$) tools.
        Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-06-2011, 08:06 PM.
        OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Iv been busy with E30 subframes and S54 pans! This is definitely a fun swap and I have the mounting of it all handled.

Pan gets notched and a sump added to get the capacity back.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
            Agreed, S54 cost is racing cost - not s50/52/50 euro street car building cost.

Yup. If installing S54, the car should have decent equipment in driveline/footwork setting alone to handle the S54. I sure hope nobody just installs one in place of a M42 into a stock otherwise chassis

I wish I had had 2-3 maps and HFM ability with the DTA, would have been easier to map with HFM than true electronic carby alpha-N style
            I'm guesstimating rebuilding s54 should cost 1500-2000 in rebuild misc items, not including the weird and obscure (and expensive $,$$$) tools.
            MS can do that..
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Waitwaitwait, DTA can only run one map and cannot use an HFM?
              2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
              95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
              98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

The ECU and loom I'm looking at is this one...and you can remap as you see fit. Its not set to one single map like some.

It can be mapped to over 350+bhp! The race engine I'm looking at is running this ECU but it has the Vanos gone, so that should be interesting to see what difference that makes.

I've looked at the bimmerworld conversion kit, but $3k+, is it really worth it.

Has anybody any experience with it? Or running it successfully in their car?

Dean, has anyone told you that youre a spitting image of English singer-songwriter and musician, james blunt?

Comment

Originally posted by Dean View Post
                  The ECU and loom I'm looking at is this one...and you can remap as you see fit. Its not set to one single map like some.

This website is for sale! twinkam.co.uk is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, twinkam.co.uk has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

It can be mapped to over 350+bhp! The race engine I'm looking at is running this ECU but it has the Vanos gone, so that should be interesting to see what difference that makes.

I've looked at the bimmerworld conversion kit, but $3k+, is it really worth it.

Has anybody any experience with it? Or running it successfully in their car?
                  What kind of cut rate ecu has a horsepower limit on its mapping ability? What a silly statement...
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    What kind of cut rate ecu has a horsepower limit on its mapping ability? What a silly statement...
                    Fair comment, bad grammer my part. There is ALOT of conversion kits I've found that only have one locked ECU map when you buy it.

I'm still looking at so many swap conversion kits its confusing which is better or worse...also another consideration I've over looked is that my car is RHD.

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
                      Waitwaitwait, DTA can only run one map and cannot use an HFM?
                      If running a DTA ems one can save 1,000++ maps on your laptop BUT you can't hit a button on your dash and swap mapping on the fly.

It takes ~ 2 minutes to load a file if you have a track 100octane map and you drive to track on the 91 octane poop mapping; but the owner must have laptop and the patch cable handy to do this.

DTA is a UK standalone, Its not like a cobb axxessport that has a great american made GUI and interface anyone can just play with like a gameboy. There is a reason why the american made AEM EMS was so popular and took the largest overal market spot for full standalone EMS, same history repeated it self with the AEM that the Apex'i Power FC did in the 90's decade in japan.

HFM support is not standard on DTA s100, this would have been a godsend (IMO) when initally mapping the S54 engine. I "think" it can be added, but it was not in the menu option. I did not even try to mess with adding an HFM or adding knock to the DTA.

ABL has spent a decent amount of development time and moneyfor a knock sensing solution for the alpha n tuned S54+DTA, I have not used it nor seen it so will refrain from commenting.

Best would be to email alek about the specifics as he is the authorized dealer for DTA.
                      Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-11-2011, 10:52 AM.

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
                        Waitwaitwait, DTA can only run one map ....?
                        Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                        If running a DTA ems one can save 1,000++ maps on your laptop BUT you can't hit a button on your dash and swap mapping on the fly.

It takes ~ 2 minutes to load a file if you have a track 100octane map and you drive to track on the 91 octane poop mapping; but the owner must have laptop and the patch cable handy to do this.

That's not true. It can run an additional switchable map. (look under the ALS section, it's buried in there)
                        -Dave
                        2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
                          Intake cam went from full retard to full advance for a period of 500 rpms.
                          VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

Speaking of which, Dean are you going to pay someone to install this motor or are you planning to do it yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveSmed View Post
                            That's not true. It can run an additional switchable map. (look under the ALS section, it's buried in there)
                            will check it out; but is a bit too difficult for me to use if I cannot find it easily!!!
                            How do you trigger the additional map?

I'm guessing wire a switch of sorts to ALS pin or additional imput pin and have that be the trigger?

reference the comment I made about UK GUI..... lol
                            Not at all as easy breezy as ecutek on a subaru or Cobb accessport.

Americans are spoiled by GUI such like apple provides.

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post

Speaking of which, Dean are you going to pay someone to install this motor or are you planning to do it yourself?
                              I did the 2.8 conversion on my own, only help was the wiring and pins. Mechanical parts don't scare me but if I'm honest the electronics in this set up make me apprensive as there are so many different options, I'm thinking of getting a race company in London to do most of the work when the time comes and I have paid for all the parts to do the swap. The problem is there are soooo many options, some run OEM ECU, others stand alone and others mix and match.

As I going to be investing ALOT of money in the swap I'm wanting the best for that money. I also have a friend who is an aero engineer and is keen to take the car and give the swap a go himself (he had an extreme E30 325iSE 4door and E30 325 cab and now owns a self built Subaru WRC road car pushing 500bhp). He loves engines like they were children.

I want the swap done by my 25th birthday in April next year! Thats the only definite

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop

Comment

Working...
                                X