And yet another V8 swap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And yet another V8 swap...

Well, here it goes!! Car's not ready yet (not even close....), as I am pretty busy at work right now (race season).
    Anyway, it's been an ongoing project, and I always find that something else to do, but I plan to drive it before the first snowfall (and during, why not??)

Subject:
    1990 M3 E30. Bought the car 2 years or so ago with an S38 in it, but the swap was shit and the engine was pretty tired... having built an S38 (had an E34 M5 some time ago), I didn't want to get into that again. I initially bought an S54, but some :curse::curse::curse::curse::curse::curse::curse: scammed me and I lost the engine AND the money. Sooooo, M60. Won't bore you anymore, and I'll go straight to the pictures.

What I've done so far:

-Remove S38 and wiring harness
    -Fix suspension turrets (cracked)
    -Clean and paint engine bay
    -Rebuilt M3 E36 front end (was in the car already), with new control arms and caster mounts, new balljoints, Z3 1.9 rack
    -Front Bilstein PSS9 (E36), internally modified
    -Front subframe with swaybar reinforcement plates, engine mount plates and lowered 20mm
    -Booster mount blocked
    -Completely rebuilt rear subframe, toe/camber, swaybar mounts, polybushing everywhere, AKG -15mm mounts
    -Z3M bilsteins, with TCKline 600 short springs and adjuster plates
    -3.25 ring and pinion, with 3 disc diff, everything rebuilt
    -All rust is gone, and underside's been rust-protected
    -Adapter plates to fit S62 ITBs, with mechanical actuation
    -Pontiac TransAm GTA wheels, et16 with 5mm spacer front, et0 back
    -Tubular headers
    -5 speed transmission
    -Single mass flywheel to use with M3 E36 clutch
    -S62 fuel rails converted to return style with AN6 lines
    -Bosch 044 fuel pump
    -AN6 fuel lines and Aeromotive FPR

To do list:

-I'm removing both heads today for a refresh, some shaving, multi-angle valve job and a bit of port massaging, but nothing crazy, just cleanup
    -Refresh the bottom end
    -Dump the engine in AGAIN, and re-wire the whole car without the stupid fusebox in the engine bay
    -Re-locate the master cylinder and booster in the trunk
    -Install and tune a VEMS ecu
    -Install a race technology dash, with GPS and full datalogging
    -Install Evo3 front and adjustable rear wing
    -Install the interior

And enjoy it!!! ;D
    Last edited by Yorl; 09-04-2013, 04:11 PM.

Cool! An E30 M3 with a M60!

Comment

Ok, some more.

I got the Pontiac wheels and did some test fitting (and washed the car...)

Removed rear springs and.... yup, no rubbing

Tires are not the right size, but it's the only thing I had around in 16 inch.
      Ok, old engine bay

Test fit

And engine bay now :p

Comment

That's interesting, though to be honest "the only proper way" with M3 would be with S-series engine :)

Originally posted by Yorl View Post
        -Adapter plates to fit S62 ITBs, with mechanical actuation
        Did you do these yourself? Pictures and specs would be highly appreciated!
        - E34 M5 (x 2) -
        - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
        - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
        - E46 318i Touring -
        - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Originally posted by Jonsku View Post
          This nao please :)
          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jonsku View Post
            That's interesting, though to be honest "the only proper way" with M3 would be with S-series engine :)

Originally posted by Jean View Post
            This nao please :)
            I third this.
            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Ok, ITB adapter plates!

I did the plates myself, not too complicated. There's just one bolt each side that overlaps, but it can be fixed no problem. Mounting is solid, intake ports and TB line up perfectly. Only thing I did was changing the M7 studs in the head, removed them and installed M6 timeserts. Not easy to find M7 allen bolts..... And the velocity stacks.... I'll have to cut them down a bit, but they fit pretty good.

And as for an S series engine... well, yes, S engines are cool and all that. But I'll pass, thanks. Just waaaaaay too expensive to buy, parts are super expensive too, and at the end of the day, it is not a race car. As I said, I had an S38 before, and I built a hot S38 for my old M5, not happening again, thanks. And my car was not original when I bought it anyway, just resurrecting it, but everything done properly. Maybe it's not an S series engine, but it'll have plenty of power and engine note to die for. I just want a reliable package, low maintenance, and cheap rebuilds. And as for power, well, this is just a mock-up engine. ;D;D;D
              Last edited by Yorl; 09-05-2013, 07:06 AM.

Comment

That is beautiful. Just, brings a tear to my eye.
                1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Well, I can't wait to hear it running!!!

Comment

nice proyect:D

sorry to hear about the s54, where did you purchase it from?

I taking it that your building a high compression M6X, how much are you shaving or what's your goal? congrats and welcome

Comment

wow this is going to be a great project!
                      95 7.1L 16V E36 M3
                      Motorsport Hardware ***Wheel studs and Spacers!!!--->FOR SALE 4/5 Lug Stud Conversion Kits available CLICK HERE
                      LIKE my Facebook Page! CLICK HERE

Comment

Originally posted by kalib0y View Post
                        wow this is going to be a great project!
                        Thanks!!

The S54 I bought from a guy in Ohio, goes by the name of Nicholas Smurthwaite. And there was also a shop involved knux rod and custom, or something like that. Long story, but the guy is a massive scammer. Well, both of them!!
                        Anyway, going on with my life...

I'm taking the heads apart, will measure the volume and calculate how much I need to shave, will go with 11.0:1. Also, I have a set of Uber-rare Alpina cams ;D that will go in for now.
                        Then, over winter I'll build another engine, sleeved to 94mm diameter, hi-comp pistons, big cams and all that. Aim for now, is around 300whp as is (with the higher CR, cams, ITBs and headers), and then around 400whp with the new engine.

Comment

Nice! Please document all the engine work you'll be doing on this one :)
                          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Front subframe

Notice how the engine mounts were destroyed... Instead of using the akg or similar repair kit, I had 4 plates cut. I installed two as per usual, and then two more on top, welded inside and outside. That will reinforce the subframe, plus, will give me a touch more clearance for the Z3 rack I have installed. It now bolts on no problem, and I can install it as high as it goes (more on that later...)

S62 fuel rails, ready to go!

Front suspension at full droop

Yeeeeah!!

Comment

And my "new" winter wheels

Comment

Working...
                              X