Megan Coilovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Megan Coilovers

Hey guys, im looking to upgrade my suspension to adjustable coilovers, yet im on a budget. So i was looking into this setup.

any imput on the quality of those megan coilovers? i do have the 45mm struts since my car is a 320i, so thats ok.

i sent an email to megan, but they havent replied yet, asking if their kit is compatible with shocks and springs from other brands like koni or eibach. anyone knows if they do?
    ---E30 320i Hennarot 1984 Sedan---

With all due respect this question is asked just about weekly. You'll find lots of good information if you use the search bar.

In short they are what they are, you can do a better "quality" setup if you do a bit of homework. But, they'll "go low" and get you around town.

Here's a freebie from last month.
    ADAMS Autosport

Comment

i did went through all the threads that pop up when searching for keyword "megan", and mostly didnt find what i was looking for.

most of them refer to people about to install, or that recently installed the coilovers. its hard to get proper feedback from that.

and didnt find anyone mentioning about replacing the shocks and springs with parts from other brands.

so i did my homework, i just didnt get what i was looking for so thats why i posted this.

im not looking to go low, i just need to be able to adjust ride height and stiffness. i do some light track use, and in that case id like to have a lower and stiffer ride. but most of the time i need a higher and softer ride, since roads here aint that good.

anyway, thanks for your response.

Comment

Coyote_ar
        these are the typical meh brands. there are about 6 names and they are all the same product. the previous owner put them on my m3. while the springs, mounts and perches were good. the dampeners were complete crap. even at max they were completely inadequate.

they will work for your needs. they wont work well and if you are picky u will grow to hate them. but if you are age 16-22 and not picky, you will love them.
        Much wow
        I hate 4 doors

Comment

im not 16-22, but im not picky.

any idea if you can replace the shocks with stuff from other brands? or are you stuck with theirs?

i can live with "meh" shocks initially, as far as i read they are better than stock stuff anyway. then upgrade to some Konis or something like that if they fit. Same goes for the springs.

thanks for your feedback.

Comment

They are really not worth the money spent. Ask yourself if adjustable ride height for "light track duty" is worth sacrificing just about everything great about the way your e30 drives.

I ran bc coilovers for a year daily. It is harsh, unforgiving, and you end up raising them to a point that a good shock/spring combo would lower you to and give a world better handling.

Unless it is specifically a track/race car, I do not recommend coils. From experience.
            Derek-

Comment

idk. they didnt blow on my so i didnt care to change them. my m3 sat in the garage 25 days a month so it was low priority.
              Much wow
              I hate 4 doors

Comment

i dont mind a harsh ride, its not my daily driver. the car is mostly a track car, but able to go on the road. its noisy, its hot, and it will be harsh. i can live with that.

as you said cabriolet, 25 out of 30 days in the garage is a nice description. the car is solely used for track duty, joy rides, driving to the tracks, and some friendly meetings.

i appreciate the imput from both of you, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_ar View Post
                  im not 16-22, but im not picky.

any idea if you can replace the shocks with stuff from other brands? or are you stuck with theirs?

i can live with "meh" shocks initially, as far as i read they are better than stock stuff anyway. then upgrade to some Konis or something like that if they fit. Same goes for the springs.

thanks for your feedback.
                  BC/Megan/all those other similar brands are a wet strut, meaning there is no replaceable cartridge. So you won't be able to replace the shock with a koni unless you tear them down and swap internals (not something you want to do).

The reason these shocks feel so rough is because they adjust compression and not rebound, which is the opposite of what you want. So instead of the shock absorbing the bump and controlling body roll in rebound, you get a nicely broken vertebra instead.

If I were you I would get a set of konis and springs and call it a day. Or shell out for a full setup from Ground Control, you can't go wrong that way.
                  -Alex

Comment

hmmm thats not good. i thought they kept the catridge style. if thats the case, ill have to go for something else then.

i guess i will keep on saving and maybe get the GC setup in the future. Thanks

Comment

I have the megan racings and I have a low priority but they are stellar in the corners. I had IE3's and Billy sports and these are so much better for me. Being in Colorado and going back over the mountains from school, the adjusting of ride height is crucial. But when I get it to a nice height and pitch the car into corners it feels like it's on rails. I am much more confident in this set up rather the spring/shock set up I had. I have abused this car on this set up and it seems to take it and I can soften up the compression and daily the shit out of it. So really its if you want adjusting or a set height. Also Megan stands by their product strongly.
                      1991 325i Calypso Coupe

Like Grandfather, Like Father, Like Son
                      BMW

Comment

If the car sits most of the time and will see track mainly, why not take your time and pick out something more efficient?

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I've heard a lot of bad things about Megan coils. If you're looking into a set up and have some money saved up, why not wait a little longer and save up a little more for a better setup? I mean what's your rush in getting a setup? Unless you're gonna track the car in the next few weeks then go for it. Honestly I would just wait for more money and buy a reliable setup. Ground control seems to be a very popular choice for the e30 community.
                          Originally posted by dvck
                          I'm going to say this nicely; go fuck yourself.

Comment

Working...
                          X