Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steering wheel issues - Please help E30 guru's!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering wheel issues - Please help E30 guru's!

I decided to finally change out the icky 4spoke air bag wheel for the hotness of the M-tech 1 wheel, and I got the old one off no problem, and the new one goes on no problem but here is the issue:

When turning the wheel from lock to lock, there is a clicking, and it is one that is caused by the turn signal cancel (at least I think that is what it is thats causing this to happen) and from lock to lock there must be about 8 - 10 clicks. Literally the first time I thought I was going to break something.
    Its not the steering lock, because after turning off the key, the wheel locks tight - so thats not the issue.
    If I take off the thing on the back of the steering wheel, its only 2 little screws, I loose my horn! (not an option) but the clicking goes away - lol

I dont really have to have the turn signal cancel thing, I can turn them off myself, not a big deal.

Also, the wheel is kinda close to the turn signal and wiper stalk, but I had used some spacers to get it out a little bit, but not enough to get rid of the clicking, and if I take it out too far, again, I loose the horn - Grrrrrr.

Any ideas?

My next thought, is to use my good ole dremmel tool and take off the black plastic portion of that piece in the back of the wheel, it might be ugly but nobody will see that - and I might have to turn my own signal off but at least I will have a horn.

Please, give me some advice, give me something!

TIA .....

Did you use washers as spacers ?

I did on my air bag wheel and it clicked as well. I replaced with two spacers from a non airbag car. One on each side of the new wheel and it corrected the clicking noise and was able to cancel the turn signals on its own. The wheel being to close to the turn signal & wiper stalks could be what kind of wheel you went with as well. What did you replace the airbag wheel with ?

Here is a link to the spacers I used...

it is #4 on the diagram

part number # 32 31 1 120 260 $5.13

Some aftermarket wheels like MOMO need a 1" + adapter to be added between the momo hub and steering wheel to space them away far enough to keep your knuckles from hitting the stalks
    Last edited by atomic; 02-11-2008, 09:41 PM.

Comment

I had the same problem when I was installing my M-Tech 1.

I had thought it was the turn signal canceler that was clicking and even tried disconnecting it (which was a really bad idea because it was real bitch to reconnect).

It turns out what cases the clicking noise is the little white spring-loaded plastic rod that is in the black trim above the actual metal column. I think it probably has something to do with the airbag.

You could probably cut it off with a dremel or something, but I didn't want to cut things up in case I ever wanted to put the airbag back on (which I doubt I really would ever do), so I went the ghetto route and shoved a bunch of broken toothpicks around the part so that it is stuck in the "in" position and no longer rubs against the wheel.

Fixing that piece plus adding a couple of washers as spacers right next to the nut that holds the wheel made everything work great for me. Turn signals cancel, lock works and horn works. The stalks are still closer to the wheel, but that doesn't really bother me.

Comment

Originally posted by LovableSheep View Post

It turns out what cases the clicking noise is the little white spring-loaded plastic rod that is in the black trim above the actual metal column. I think it probably has something to do with the airbag.

I forgot to add that needs to be removed as well since it rubs and has only to do with the airbag system wheel. I just pulled mine off with a pair of pliers since I did the airbag delete as well on my car.

Comment

I think I am going to try to stick it in with something, that way if I ever decide to go back to the bag, I can put it back to stock. I am thinking a piece of cardboard - lol

Also, one more question which might or might sound stupid - has anyone ever bent the turn signal and wiper stalk to get it away from your hands?

Comment

Originally posted by MrCleanE30 View Post
            I think I am going to try to stick it in with something, that way if I ever decide to go back to the bag, I can put it back to stock. I am thinking a piece of cardboard - lol

Also, one more question which might or might sound stupid - has anyone ever bent the turn signal and wiper stalk to get it away from your hands?

I have heard of people bending them before. Just be careful and don't break them, (DUH) probably more likely where it connects inside the column than outside the column.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCleanE30 View Post
              That was my thought too—I didn't want to completely remove it. Like I said, I wedged a bunch of broken toothpicks in around it and that seems to have done the trick.

Comment

Working...
              X