No announcement yet.

New name and and new engine for Mina: an e30 for the GF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still unsure of exactly how I'll handle the exhaust. My goal is to make it as easy as possible, which will probably mean using the e28 downpipes and grafting them to the e30 cat assembly. Hopefully they clear everything without having to cut and re route it multiple places.

Comment

While I'm waiting for the engine mounts and e34 oil pan to arrive in the mail, I've been working on getting other areas sorted out for the m30 swap. I threw new plugs in today that arrived in the mail, as well as removed, cleaned, lubricated, and re assembled all the shift linkage. I know I'll have to cut and weld it, but I figured I might as well get it all clean so I'm not working on grimy parts. I also sorted out the parts that are getting swapped (e28 radiator, 3.25 diff, etc), from the parts that aren't getting swapped (motronic 1.0 harness, sensors, etc) and cleaned the garage, so when it comes time to actually swap the motors I'm not tripping over extra parts everywhere.

I then focused on the driveshaft. I know the g265 is longer than the g260, and from what I've seen in other builds, shortening the driveshaft is mandatory for the g265, regardless of engine mount position. Between an extra 325i small flange driveshaft, 325 auto driveshaft, and the e28 driveshaft I pulled out, I have an assortment of different length driveshaft sections. I decided to measure each shaft section (from flange to the center of the u-joint):

e30 manual front: 22.5
      e30 auto front: 16.5
      e28 g265 front: 21.25

e30 rear: 29.5
      e28 g265 rear: 32

I noticed that while the 325i auto driveshaft is 4 inches shorter, that difference is all in the front half, while the rear half is the same. Meanwhile, the e28 front is in between the length of the e30 auto and manual shaft, with a rear section that is longer than e30 rear section. This means I have 3 different front shaft lengths, and 2 rear shaft lengths to mix and match, as well as the splines that allow for about 2.5" of adjustment while still maintaining adequate spline engagement.

I swapped the shaft sections between the auto and manual, which gave me two different lengths, both shorter than the standard e30 manual driveshaft.

The stock e30 shaft is about 57 inches (+/- about 1 inch).

With the e28 front shaft matched to the e30 rear shaft, it measured out to 56 inches(+/- about 1 inch), which is only 1'' shorter than the e30 shaft. Every account I've seen needed to remove a hair over 2 inches, however, so I suspect this will still be too long to squeeze in between the g265 and the diff.

The other pair was the auto 325 front half and the e28 rear half, which game me a 53.5 inch length (+/1) one inch. This means I can safely stretch it to about 54.5 inches (and probably a little longer), which puts me within 2.5 inches of the stock e30 shaft, which sounds perfect! However, there is a problem with this combination... can you guess what it is?

Comment

Top: e30/e30
        Middle: e28 front/e30 rear
        Bottom: auto e30 front/e28 rear

The shaft that comes closest to the ideal length will have the CSB about 2.5 inches too far forward. The pedestal that the CSB mounts to give you some adjustment, but not 2.5 inches worth. However, while I can't cut and weld up a usable driveshaft at home, I can cut and weld up a bracket to mount the offset CSB. I'm thinking of using this same basic approach, but welding in some cross bracing, and throwing it through the powder coater/oven to make it a little more presentable.

I'm going to hold out hope that I can mount the engine forward enough to at least squeeze the e28 front/e30 rear shaft combo in, but if not, I'll just fabricate a bracket for the auto front/e28 rear csb out of metal from the scrap metal pile and see how that works out. If I have a vibration issue at normal driving speed, I'll bite the bullet and pay to have the 87 eta large flange driveshaft that's in the car shortened and balanced.

Comment

It needs to be noted what driveshaft combos are out there. If you started a thread with all of the combos and their lengths, people could stick their random ones together and report their findings. We'd have a fairly complete list of available shaft lengths. I'd vote for sticky. That could be very useful.

Keep up the good work!
          Originally posted by Andy.B
          Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
          1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
          ~~~~~~~~~~
          I was born on 3/25…
          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

You did what i should have done but was to lazy to do for my 1.3 swap. I just bought a b35 manifold the ports are bigger on the b35 but it effects nothing so whatever haha

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
            1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
            Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
            Mtech 2 turbo restoration
            Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

I finished replacing all of the basic seals on the m30, along with the full gambit of tune up items (spark plugs, cap/rotor, thermostat, etc) while waiting for the oil pan and engine mounts to arrive so I can drop it in the e30. I have had more trouble getting parts for this project than any other project I have pursued. The first guy I bought an oil pan from was unable to get the pan off the engine for some reason (?!?) so he refunded my money. I appreciate his honesty and cooperation, but I'm annoyed that the deal fell through and I am now going to be waiting longer. A pan from another seller went in the mail today, thankfully.

Although honestly, I'm not sure it matters, as I still don't have engine mounts, and I'm not sure when I will. I contacted qbang about getting a set of m30b34 mounts, and he informed me he would need to fab up a set, as he had just sold his last pair, but it would be in the mail in a few days. That worked for me, so I sent him a payment. 2 weeks later, I have heard nothing. I have emailed him a week ago, early in the week, and again today, but have yet to hear a peep back. I'm sure he isn't swindling me, but the lack of communication is certainly frustrating.

I'm going to give it a few more days before I file a claim. Even if he had some life event that is keeping him from getting back to me, then he certainly isn't going to be fabbing up engine mounts... I can't wait forever on faith. Especially since I am 99% certain that my b34 block has provisions for all 3 engine mount types (early/late b34 and b35):

I ran a tap through the unused mounting holes this evening, including what I believe are the m30b35 mount position holes. If I can't get anywhere with qbang, I will buy the garagistic b35 mounts and use those. I figure the worst that can happen with the b35 mounts is I have a driver side mount that works, and a passenger side mount I need to modify.

Either way, it seems like the mounts themselves are going to be the holdup for getting the actual engine swap underway. Hopefully I have something sorted out by the end of the week.

Comment

Just got word from qbang, thankfully. He is in the process of moving, and will have the mounts sent out soon. I can breath a sigh of relief, and just wait for everything to show up in the mail.

Comment

Something finally arrived yesterday!

I'm moving in two weeks, so I am going to good off on any progress until after the move, since right now the car is drivable (in spite of the rod knock). I'll finish prepping the engine, then do the swap one the move is completed.

The plus is that the new place has a roomy two car garage, which will give me plenty more space than the current one car garage with no breathing room.

Comment

Great thread, enjoying reading through it - its a great looking car :-) Hope you and your girlfriend enjoy it :-)
                    sigpic
                    Russell A Macfarlane (30)
                    Dalgety Bay, Scotland
                    1987 BMW E30 316 4 Door Zinnobar Red

Comment

You are a lucky man, marry her. lol

Comment

Is this thing running yet? No updates = no bueno

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                        1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                        Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                        Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                        Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

After moving, getting settled in a new garage, starting a new job, and having a ridiculous snow storm, I finally made some progress!

I'll let the pictures do the talking:

Comment

Ooooooh, looking good! One of those motors is quite a bit gerthier than the other...
                            Originally posted by Andy.B
                            Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                            1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                            ~~~~~~~~~~
                            I was born on 3/25…
                            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I did some quick measurements, and yeah, the m30 is quite a bit bigger. It is going to be a TIGHT fit. The g265 is also a good 2 inches longer. I am anxious to get it mounted in there, and see if I can mix and match driveshaft parts without sending anything out to the shop.

On a related note...
                              I've got a rebuilt 885 head with less than 1k miles on it, sporting all new gaskets, rebuilt injectors, and an adjustable cam gear, as well as a 2.7 bottom end, if anyone out there wants to make a 2.7i. I need to recoup some funds, and clear or some space!

Comment

How are you able to work? Didn't you guys get like 6ft of snow the other day? Good work!

Comment

Working...
                                X