Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Megasquirt not connecting

Hey y'all,

Just got my PNP Megasquirt today from SSSquid.

I am having a problem though.

I cannot for the life of me get it connected to my computer. So far, I have tried two laptops (macbook pro and a windows 7). Two different usb to serial adapters (radioshack/gigaware and sabrent). I have the proper drivers installed. They both work properly with my LC-2 Wideband Programmer. I have tried every usb plug in on both laptops.

On port scanner, I get "Com Port 3" with the results of "s". On the Com Port that the USB to serial is plugged into, I get no connection found.

The megasquirt has a tune already loaded.

I could not even get the car to start. It would keep cranking, but never started. It started once but stalled instantly.

Thanks,
    Matt
    1987 325is 2.8L Stroker Turbo "Little Pickle aka The Green Turbo Sled"

Tried the built in ftdi mini usb to serial. Still no luck. Also tried reloading firmware and nothing.

Comment

Is the megasquirt getting 12V?

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
        Is the megasquirt getting 12V?
        It is connected to my car, so I assume so. Whats the best way to test? (what pins etc)

Thanks

Edit: Just checked out your project thread and wow is that awesome! Havnt read it all yet though.

Edit 2; Tonight I am going to try and jump the BL/TH?(i think thats what its called i forget off the top of my head... the 2 prong port next to the DB9) And see if that helps. If not, it will be sent back to Squid for more testing.
        Last edited by Chris Spiegl; 02-23-2017, 07:23 PM.

Comment

There should be some LEDs on the unit, one of which will light when it has power. Check pin 18 for 12v at all times, 27 for 12v when the key is on. A circuit in the ECU switches the main relay on in stock configuration which gives the ECU power for its higher current stuff via pin 37. Being a plug and play unit, no wiring mods should be necessary so it should function like the stock ECU and only need 12v on 27 to switch itself on and power the main relay.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          - updated 1-26

Comment

There should be some LEDs on the unit, one of which will light when it has power. Check pin 18 for 12v at all times, 27 for 12v when the key is on. A circuit in the ECU switches the main relay on in stock configuration which gives the ECU power for its higher current stuff via pin 37. Being a plug and play unit, no wiring mods should be necessary so it should function like the stock ECU and only need 12v on 27 to switch itself on and power the main relay.
            Yikes. I was at ~9v. I grounded to GND under the BOOT. I am charging my battery right now and am upto about 11.9v.

Comment

Tested to 12.2volts but still no connection.

Comment

There is a video of me testing it.

Comment

Everything looks to be in order. Do you have 5V on the 5V rail?

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  - updated 1-26

Comment

Welcome to the world of megasquirt and the reason I left it haha. Search Google to a port checker for your laptop, to see if your laptop is reading it or if it's something else.
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Originally posted by nomansland92 View Post
                      Welcome to the world of megasquirt and the reason I left it haha. Search Google to a port checker for your laptop, to see if your laptop is reading it or if it's something else.
                      Tried a port checker and nothing. The unit is in route back to sssquid for testing.

Thanks yall

Comment

I've never had connection issues that weren't hardware related so excuse my limited helpfulness on this issue if all hardware is fine. Could be a port conflict or driver issue, but I don't see how if your adapter worked with something else.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        - updated 1-26

Comment

I've never had connection issues that weren't hardware related so excuse my limited helpfulness on this issue if all hardware is fine. Could be a port conflict or driver issue, but I don't see how if your adapter worked with something else.
                          Megasquirt hardware is not my strong suit. I also have very limited time on my hands. The package it was delivered in was destroyed so that could be the cause. It should be delivered today for more testing. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X