Looking for tips to install camshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for tips to install camshaft

So I just installed the head on my m42. The rear crank seal and housing are off to allow the removal of the crankshaft several steps ago. The stand is holding the block from the back, so I'd have to get it off the block to get all that on.

I was hoping to get the camshaft and timing case all together before taking everything off the stand. Just seemed easier to manage everything. Was planning to get the flywheel on when I could move back to the crane.

Anyways, I cant lock the flywheel without a flywheel installed, but I'm having a hard effing time getting the camshaft on. I'm at TDC. I just cant get the camshaft alignment tool on and locked. Either the camshafts are in a bind or the tool is some cheap knockoff from China or both.

Here's what I'm looking at.

The camshaft braces and bolts are on but very loose to allow for some play. I cant seem to get the camshaft tool on properly to lock it in to place.

Any tips?

Once I get the cams on successfully I'll be able to move to the chain, which seems like a whole other struggle...
    Attached Files

Edit: To remove any mystery, I got the complete head, with camshafts from a machine shop.

I think the camshaft has been disassembled. On the exhaust side camshaft, the 2 drilled holes at the end of the camshaft is misaligned with the arrow for the camshaft gear. I had thought the two drilled holes should be at the top for both camshafts, but having the arrows out of sync is throwing me off and will probably throw me off in the future when trying to set time.

I'm setting the cams based on the drilled holes and ensuring those are level, but I'm not sure. Thoughts?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jaredmac11; 03-04-2017, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Do you have the correct camshafts in the right place? One is marked with an "A" and one with an "E". The "E" is the intake camshaft, the "A" is the exhaust. The gears will only fit on the shafts as you have it or rotated 180 degrees. From your picture, the shafts are definitely installed wrong. Pull the shafts and get them lined up correctly before you bend a valve. To determine the correct camshaft position, use the camshaft lobes of the #1 cylinder. I forget which way they need to point but you can look that up.

Correction- I guess the gears will fit on the camshaft any which way. Getting it confused with the fan pulley and how it mounts to the water pump.
      Last edited by uturn; 03-05-2017, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uturn View Post
        Do you have the correct camshafts in the right place? One is marked with an "A" and one with an "E". The "E" is the intake camshaft, the "A" is the exhaust. The gears will only fit on the shafts as you have it or rotated 180 degrees. From your picture, the shafts are definitely installed wrong. Pull the shafts and get them lined up correctly before you bend a valve. To determine the correct camshaft position, use the camshaft lobes of the #1 cylinder. I forget which way they need to point but you can look that up.
        Ill take a look at it, however, I do have an extra set of cams. When I put the cams with the drilled holes at the end pointing up for each set, and compare it to the cams I have installed, the lobes seem to match each other.

This is based on the assumption that the drilled holes are universal and intended to distinguish 'up' at TDC for the cam shaft. I believe the cam gear/sprocket was installed improperly on the cam shaft. I'll need to reinstall it for the future because I doubt I'll remember.

Otherwise, the only difficulty I'm having is getting the cam locking tool on and getting the cams to point level. They are pointing slightly up, about 5-10 degrees.
        Last edited by jaredmac11; 03-05-2017, 10:28 AM.

Comment

This picture shows the lobes pointing to each other.

This shows the "E" camshaft casting mark.

You have the camshaft locking tool, so it's a no brainer.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by uturn; 03-05-2017, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jaredmac11 View Post
            having the arrows out of sync is throwing me off and will probably throw me off in the future when trying to set time.
            The arrow on the exhaust cam gear will need to be pointing up like the intake one. I thinks the camshaft position sensor picks up on the pin.
            Last edited by uturn; 03-05-2017, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uturn View Post
              The arrow on the exhaust cam gear will need to be pointing up like the intake one. I thinks the camshaft position sensor picks up on the pin.
              I see. I am fairly certain the cam shafts are in line with the lobes near the gears pointing to each other and matching up with everything I found online; but the sprocket/gear was not installed to the camshaft properly. If the camshaft position sensor reads that pin, it has to be fixed.

edit: And I cant figure out the tool. It just wont fit, period. It probably was poorly made in China.

Comment

Working...
              X