Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 325is MT Brilliantrot - NO LONGER AVAILABLE - No Longer Available

1990 325is MT Brilliantrot - NO LONGER AVAILABLE

Thanks for stopping by to look at my listing. For sale is my 325is. It has about 160,000 miles. Unfortunately, I just don't drive it much anymore, and decided that the car deserves a new home.

I purchased the car in 12/12 from a member on r3v (Mastrcruse). He was living in Texas at the time and the car has been in southern ranging states for it's entire life up to when I bought it. I had it shipped to Chicago where it has lived in a garage and never been driven in winter since I have had it up here. There was some rust under the battery tray because at some point the battery vent hose became disconnected and the battery leaked fluid inside the car. I wire brushed this area down to bare metal (no perforations) and applied POR-15 to the whole area underneath the battery. This is the only rust I have found on the car body.

RUST FREE E30 in CHICAGO. I feel like this point cannot be emphasized enough.

THE BAD:

- Odometer gears are mostly broken. The teeth are coming off of one of the gears which nobody makes a replacement for. I cleaned them up a few times and they work for a while and then they stop again so I gave up.

- Gas tank equalizer is clogged. The gas tank is split into two parts that are bridged by a small section over the driveshaft. It happens sometimes where the hose that equalizes the fuel in both sides gets clogged. There is a thread on here on how to clear out this blockage, but the current state is that you only use half of the fuel tank. It was next on my list to repair, and just haven't got around to it.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360343

THE GOOD:

2014 Work:
    - New OEM muffler
    - Bilstein Sport shocks and H&R Sport springs, all 4 wheels
    - New front strut mount/bushings (OEM)
    - New rear spring pads (OEM)
    - Valves adjusted, new valve cover gasket
    - New oil cooler hose
    - New floor mats (BavAuto)
    - New rear spoiler (OEM)
    - Used tan leather rear seats installed (OEM)
    - New parking brake shoes/hardware
    - CV boots replaced (4 OEM kits)
    - New thermostat (OEM)
    - New coolant sensor
    - New NAPA battery
    - New throttle cable (OEM)

2013 Work:
    - Manual transmission swap, used/resurfaced flywheel/new clutch/reman. driveshaft
    - 3.73 LSD painted/installed (used)
    - Transmission input/output seals replaced
    - New clutch slave cylinder
    - Clutch master cylinder seals replaced
    - Stainless steel clutch hose installed
    - New shift linkage bushings
    - Rear left brake caliper replaced (reman. caliper)
    - All rubber brake lines replaced (OEM)
    - Brake master cylinder rebuilt
    - Stereo installed (Alpine, wired to trunk for sub/amp)
    - Replaced crank case vent tube seals
    - Replaced valve cover vacuum hose
    - New power steering hose
    - New intake manifold and throttle body gaskets
    - M Sport steering wheel (used)
    - Non-airbag control stalks (used)
    - Airbag electronics removed (airbag steering wheel was removed before I purchased)
    - New lower valence, right fog light, oil cooler (insurance claim from shipping damage, done through BMW dealer with documentation)
    - Used ellipsoid headlights installed/resealed, headlight rings sandblasted & repainted
    - Area under battery tray completely wire brushed to clean metal and POR-15 applied to protect. New battery drain hose installed

Previous Work (before I bought it)
    - Timing belt replaced
    - New Falken tires (I haven't driven this car more than 5,000 miles)

List Date: 3/9/2017

For more info, click here to view the original listing: 1990 325is MT Brilliantrot - NO LONGER AVAILABLE
    --------------------------------------
    This item is no longer available.

--------------------------------------

Last edited by benyen soljax; 03-10-2017, 07:30 AM.
    Project 325is

Transaction Feedback

So, it looks like a nice car, but those pictures are absolutely terrible and occasionally puzzling. If you really want to sell it, take some good pictures.

And as a side note, the speedo reading high has nothing whatsoever to do with the auto to manual swap. If it's less than 10% high, it's within the standard BMW error. If it's more than that, the cluster needs to be recalibrated or the speed sensor is off.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

I understand that not all of the pictures are the highest quality. I do have a full build thread with many more pictures in my signature with a complete explanation of all the work completed. I tried to show some pictures documenting all of the parts and work I am claiming to have done. If you have specific questions, I would be more than happy to go into further detail. These pictures have been taken as the build was in progress since 2012, and I didn't have the best camera back then. I have very thorough documentation of this car, and I apologize that it did not meet your expectations.

Unfortunately, Panjo offers limited options for commenting and ordering photos, so such is what we are stuck with.

I would be more than happy to video chat with any prospective buyers if they are not in the area to stop by.

Also, thank you for the feedback on the speedo. I did discuss with many forum members about the speedometer reading. There seems to be a consensus that the calibration is specific to a transmission/differential combination. So switching to the Manual/3.73 from the auto/4.10 should also have some impact on the reading. It is about 10% high.
      Project 325is

Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by benyen soljax View Post
        I understand that not all of the pictures are the highest quality. I do have a full build thread with many more pictures in my signature with a complete explanation of all the work completed. I tried to show some pictures documenting all of the parts and work I am claiming to have done. If you have specific questions, I would be more than happy to go into further detail. These pictures have been taken as the build was in progress since 2012, and I didn't have the best camera back then. I have very thorough documentation of this car, and I apologize that it did not meet your expectations.

Unfortunately, Panjo offers limited options for commenting and ordering photos, so such is what we are stuck with.

I would be more than happy to video chat with any prospective buyers if they are not in the area to stop by.

Also, thank you for the feedback on the speedo. I did discuss with many forum members about the speedometer reading. There seems to be a consensus that the calibration is specific to a transmission/differential combination. So switching to the Manual/3.73 from the auto/4.10 should also have some impact on the reading. It is about 10% high.
        The speed sensor reads off of the rotation of the passenger side output on the diff. This is completely unaffected by the diff ratio (although it is impacted by tire size if you are running undersized tires).

The forum members with whom you have been discussing this are wrong. Period.

And beyond understanding how the cluster reads vehicle speed, I have run in the same car with no speedometer changes a 2.93, a 3.46, a 3.64, a 3.73, and a 4.10.
        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
          The speed sensor reads off of the rotation of the passenger side output on the diff. This is completely unaffected by the diff ratio (although it is impacted by tire size if you are running undersized tires).

The forum members with whom you have been discussing this are wrong. Period.

And beyond understanding how the cluster reads vehicle speed, I have run in the same car with no speedometer changes a 2.93, a 3.46, a 3.64, a 3.73, and a 4.10.
          I wish I would have run into you when I originally made the swap. It bugged me for months trying to figure out a solution :)
          Project 325is

Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by benyen soljax View Post
            I wish I would have run into you when I originally made the swap. It bugged me for months trying to figure out a solution :)
            The good news is that with the error within 10%, you are literally just within normal BMW speedo error tolerances. There's nothing wrong with it, although OCD people may choose to alter the cluster. :)
            1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
            1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
            - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
            1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

sigpic

Comment

Not sure I see anything wrong with his pictures.

I was the previous owner of this e30. I bought it from a guy in north Dallas as he had cars piling up that the city said he had to get rid of. I had the timing belt replaced, the control arm bushings, alternator, and tires. Removed nasty tint and gave it a good cleaning. There are other little things that I'm missing. Shipped it up to Ben in Chicago where he's done a lot of good stuff to it (he has listed).

Reason I parted with it was due to the fact I had 3 cars and wanted to get into jeeps.

Comment

Beautiful car.

GLWS
                My previous build (currently E30-less)
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Gorgeous car! GLWS!
                  - Darrell

2001 BMW M5
                  1990 BMW 325is - Build Thread

Comment

^^^
                    Project 325is

Transaction Feedback

Comment

AC and Heat work?

could it be a daily?
                      1990 325is
                      m52b28
                      3.73lsd
                      g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

AC works but the heat does not. It could easily be a daily driver. There are many threads here about replacing the heater core I just don't drive it in winter so it wasn't an issue for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                        Last edited by benyen soljax; 03-23-2017, 10:06 AM.
                        Project 325is

Transaction Feedback

Comment

Updated pictures in the main post. These pictures were taken on 3/19. I am more than happy to take specific images if you do not see what you are looking for, just let me know what angle you wish to see.

Pardon the dust, as it has been in the garage all winter and hasn't been warm enough in Chicago to give it a good wash yet.
                          Project 325is

Transaction Feedback

Comment

^^^
                            Project 325is

Transaction Feedback

Comment

^^^
                              Last edited by benyen soljax; 04-07-2017, 06:57 AM.
                              Project 325is

Transaction Feedback

Comment

Working...
                              X