A/C Switch not working? Fix it for free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C Switch not working? Fix it for free

Has your a/c switch not been working properly? Have you had to fiddle with it to get it to stay on? Does it cut out while driving?

All these were happening to me and i figured I would try and fix it before buying a new switch. This is really simple and I'm sure most of you already know how to do this (there may even be another write up, I didn't look)

Here is the culprit:

To get to the inside, all you have to do is take a small flat head screwdriver and pop the out cover around the tabs on the side

When you take it apart you'll see the two bulbs, springs and a little grey plastic tab between them. The little tab fell out as I was pulling it apart so make sure you don't lose it.

You can tell by looking at the connections inside and out that there is a far bit of corrosion. Its 25 years old so that's to be expected.

Take the springs off and push the lights through the bottom, this will give you more room to get in there to clean the leads. I used my handy dandy dremel for the job

After about 5 minutes of scrubbing away, you can clearly see the difference

Put the switych back together and reinstall everything. Now it should work with ease. Before i had to like press it several times to get good contact, not now, works flawlessly with one push

Hope this helps some of the broke e30 owners. You can do this to any of the switches they you are having problems with.

1987 BMW 325ic - Emma

I was actually going to do this today when I came across this thread. Thanks for the write up.
    sigpic
    Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

Does this work on the air recirculation button too? I think the springs on mine broke cause it won't stay pushed in.
      RIP: Delphin '89 E30 with S50 swap and lots of goodies :'(

Then: '04 Evo 8 RS, 500 whp/420 wtq 2900 lb E85 AWD turbo shits 'n giggles

Now: 2003 BMW M5 in Sterling Gray

Comment

Nice write up !
        Sticky:True e36 one touch windows DIY

1990 M3
        1992 Mtech (S50 + 5 Lug)

Comment

Useful thread.

If only fixing my AC was this easy.
          87 ETA | Hibernating

Comment

Originally posted by DisgustipatedAP1 View Post
            Does this work on the air recirculation button too? I think the springs on mine broke cause it won't stay pushed in.

Ya, same switch housing so you kinds do both anyway.

1987 BMW 325ic - Emma

Comment

Thanks for sharing.
              OO=(ll)=OO
              -----------
              91 E30 Coupe 325is 5 Speed

Comment

If your button won't stay pushed in, then your fix probably won't be this easy. There is a tiny white plastic tab that breaks off, and gets lost. So unless you are a glue ninja, you're looking at a replacement switch.
                astiv43
                '89 Zinoberrot 325i 'vert, auto

Comment

Check out the pictures here:

astiv43
                  '89 Zinoberrot 325i 'vert, auto

Comment

Sweeeet

You certainly don't need a new camera either, nice photos.

You do need a steady hand, some micro-fine brushes and some white paint to tidy up the markings now!
                    sigpic
                    Trying to make the world a better place, 6 TB at a time.
                    http://abloriginalparts.com/

Comment

Originally posted by astiv43 View Post
                      If your button won't stay pushed in, then your fix probably won't be this easy. There is a tiny white plastic tab that breaks off, and gets lost. So unless you are a glue ninja, you're looking at a replacement switch.
                      Pick-a-part time!!:D
                      RIP: Delphin '89 E30 with S50 swap and lots of goodies :'(

Then: '04 Evo 8 RS, 500 whp/420 wtq 2900 lb E85 AWD turbo shits 'n giggles

Now: 2003 BMW M5 in Sterling Gray

Comment

I have a spare switch with perfect white icons that I'm cleaning and selling. Looking for a defrost switch with perfect white icon and a headlight switch knob with perfect white icon if anyone has one they want to sell or trade.
                        sigpic
                        Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

If you don't have a dremel handy, try CRC electrical contact cleaner. Works well for these kinds of repairs.
                          1990 325is - sterling silver, very nice, maybe for sale

Comment

Bumping an old thread. My AC button doesn't stay pushed on. The AC works, but I have to press the button many times for it to stick.

Only one of the photos in the original post works. :(

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                              Bumping an old thread. My AC button doesn't stay pushed on. The AC works, but I have to press the button many times for it to stick.

Only one of the photos in the original post works. :(
                              Try now. I fixed the photo links

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1987 BMW 325ic - Emma

Comment

Working...
                              X