Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

change over relay

ok you m10 engine owners!

my car starts but dies right away. ive practically changed everything i could.

fuel pump (secondary), fuel pump relay, distributor, leads, ignition coil, ICM, DME (ECU), fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, new spark plugs

i cleaned the injectors, tested the AFM for resistants, tested the coil (old and new), DME (ECU, old & new) created no change, spark plugs (old & new) produce a spark, leads (old & new) both produce a spark, new fuel relay stopped the annoying buzzing, tested the fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge and i am getting correct and plenty of pressure.

ok now the question:

how do you know if the change over relay's are messed up? is there a way to check these?

and what do they actually do?

eEuroparts.com is the premier supplier of European auto parts for SAAB, BMW, Volvo, VW, Audi, Mercedes, and other European car brands. Since 2000.

this change over relay is closest to the driver

would the middle change over relay be the "MAIN RELAY" that everyone is talking about?
    2007 Mazda CX-7 (red TURBO!!)
    1985 BMW 318i.... beige!
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600 (red)

previous cars
    1) 1994 Isuzu Trooper (blue)
    2) 2005 Scion tC (panda w/ CF)
    3) 2001 Toyota Avalon (silver)
    4) 1988 Nissan Pulsar XE (T top in red)

bump for some m10 love & help?

if it helps, my car is a L-Jetronic system, not the motornic so the parts will be different
    1985 BMW 318i.... beige!

previous cars

Comment

another bump?
      1985 BMW 318i.... beige!

previous cars

Comment

In the wiring diagram I have, the middle relay is called the vacuum advance control relay and the one closest to the drivers side it the idle speed stabilization relay. Are they the same relay? Can you swap them?

When you start the car, does it die no matter what you do or can you sustain it with the throttle?

Comment

Originally posted by thebutterson View Post
          In the wiring diagram I have, the middle relay is called the vacuum advance control relay and the one closest to the drivers side it the idle speed stabilization relay. Are they the same relay? Can you swap them?

When you start the car, does it die no matter what you do or can you sustain it with the throttle?
          oh yes someone responded.

i have been looking for an answer and cant find one... maybe im an idiot and cannot read a bentley manual very well.

as of right now, i have not touched the car since. they are in their original spots. the car fires up and dies, i cannot keep the car running. (with or without throttle). so to answer your question. it dies no matter what.

as far as the relays are concern, i was only able to pull out the "idle speed stabilization relay," have not really tried pulling out the "vacuum advance relay" yet

i guess ill try to pull them both out and let you know how it looks like. i might try and swap them too to see what happens.
          1985 BMW 318i.... beige!

previous cars

Comment

The fuel pump relay is supposed to get some sort of rpm signal in order to keep the contact once the car is started. You may want to look into that. I've also heard there is a switch on the afm that will cut off fuel if there is no airflow, but I have never found evidence of that. You might want to look into the rpm sensor in the distributor and make sure the wires are in good shape to the ecu and fuel relay and then maybe try jumping the fuel relay to see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The fuel pump relay is supposed to get some sort of rpm signal in order to keep the contact once the car is started. You may want to look into that. I've also heard there is a switch on the afm that will cut off fuel if there is no airflow, but I have never found evidence of that. You might want to look into the rpm sensor in the distributor and make sure the wires are in good shape to the ecu and fuel relay and then maybe try jumping the fuel relay to see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              before i got a new fuel pump relay, the car would not start. i bought a new one and the car starts and dies (current situation).

the distributor is new as well.

i guess i will need to check for continuity between all the wires.

does anyone know which pins on the fuel pump lead to the ECU/DME?
              1985 BMW 318i.... beige!

previous cars

Comment

the vacuum advance control relay and the speed stabilization relay cannot be swapped. they are different relays.
                1985 BMW 318i.... beige!

previous cars

Comment

I hate when people ignore my threads so I figured id post what I know. Your injectors are grounded through the idle stabilization relay and if its bad, then the symptoms will be what you're describing.

I remember a member on here found one from Turner, I believe, for around $100.

Mine is in the process of dying and heres what I experience:
                  I can be cruising on the highway and all of a sudden complete power loss. This can last from a fraction of a second to several seconds and then the car kicks back on. Usually it does this when the car gets warmed up and the bay is hot. With that said, I can head it clicking inside (such as a relay) when im experiencing problems with power loss/stalling.

A month ago I got really freaking pissed at it and bashed it with a screwdriver handle until it made its way in about 25% below the other two. Now it works great so I guess I fixed it :D

Comment

Originally posted by Acet View Post
                    I hate when people ignore my threads so I figured id post what I know. Your injectors are grounded through the idle stabilization relay and if its bad, then the symptoms will be what you're describing.

I remember a member on here found one from Turner, I believe, for around $100.

Mine is in the process of dying and heres what I experience:
                    I can be cruising on the highway and all of a sudden complete power loss. This can last from a fraction of a second to several seconds and then the car kicks back on. Usually it does this when the car gets warmed up and the bay is hot. With that said, I can head it clicking inside (such as a relay) when im experiencing problems with power loss/stalling.

A month ago I got really freaking pissed at it and bashed it with a screwdriver handle until it made its way in about 25% below the other two. Now it works great so I guess I fixed it :D
                    these were the EXACT symptoms i had for about 2 weeks before my car crapped out.

Ya i sat this on Turner too. i will be running additional tests this weekend in hopes i can isolate the issue to this.

if not, sigh, this e30 is a money pitt that never ends...

thanks for the reply
                    1985 BMW 318i.... beige!

previous cars

Comment

Take it out and bang it on the ground. Maybe it will crank

Comment

I'm the member that bought one from turner. My car has been running fine until a few days ago. Pretty sure it's a vacuum issue this time, nothing to do with the replacement idle stabilization relay. The new one is not clicking wildly like the old one did.

I got curious and pulled it apart:

Nothing obviously burnt out, and i was really surprised to see a PIC microcontroller in there. If I get really ambitious, i wouldn't mind desoldering the uc and seeing what if any kind of program is left on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Acet View Post
                          Take it out and bang it on the ground. Maybe it will crank
                          HAHAHA funny thing is i tried this (knowing it will not work). and guess what? nothing happened... LOL

Originally posted by 4bangerfury View Post
                          I'm the member that bought one from turner. My car has been running fine until a few days ago. Pretty sure it's a vacuum issue this time, nothing to do with the replacement idle stabilization relay. The new one is not clicking wildly like the old one did.

I got curious and pulled it apart:

Nothing obviously burnt out, and i was really surprised to see a PIC microcontroller in there. If I get really ambitious, i wouldn't mind desoldering the uc and seeing what if any kind of program is left on there.
                          wait did you car start working after you replaced it?
                          and recently, your car stopped working and you think it is a vacuum issue?

i was thinking about buying one from turner, testing it, and returning it if it doesnt solve the issue.

my car fires up, even with the gas pedal MASHED to the ground, the car will not stay on. i doubt my issue is a vacuum issue (if you were implying that, if not then no biggie).
                          1985 BMW 318i.... beige!

previous cars

Comment

Yes, my car has been running great since replacing the change over relay. It only recently went to shit (last friday) went to shit. Still trying to diagnose the issue.

Comment

i just purchased this bad boy here! https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...in-13411708511

should come in next week. i will keep everyone updated.
                              1985 BMW 318i.... beige!

previous cars

Comment

Working...
                              X