Air Intake Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Intake Thread

I did a search and found there was not yet a real Air Intake thread yet.....

what is everyone using, if any air filter mods.

I'm just looking to replace a dirty old stock filter with a cone and heatshield. I know it'll add practically no horsepower, and probably take away some in slow traffic with high engine temps, but i'd still like to have an open-element intake.

Does anyone know what size K&N filter works with a 1990 325is, and if a adapter plate, etc. is needed. I've heard compliments of Lukas heatshield, so i might as well go with that. And what about an AFM bracket, which holds in it place.... neccessary?

Thanks guys

I know someone on E3S made heat shields, maybe "LukasBMW" and I know another guy made the adapter brackets. You might want to go back to www.e30sport.net and do a search, if it's still up.

SOLD: My feature http://www.stanceworks.com/2012/04/a...ss-bmw-e30-m3/

Comment

www.lukasbmw.com is the place to go.

Quality work, i've heard no complaints. Good price too.

Comment

I found that when you try lots of different cold air intakes, heat shields, cones etc, the difference is negligible. at cruising speed the air getting to the cone is pretty much the same... it is at idle where it sucks up the hot air..
        your only gonna get somwhere in the range of 2-3 HP, not worth the troubl in my opinon.
        but of course your intake sounds much cooler!! 8)

Comment

Originally posted by PeterCip
          .....not worth the troubl in my opinon.
          but of course your intake sounds much cooler!! 8)
          that's the point! The sound!..... anyway.... it might be worth the trouble if i'm going to be replacing the stock air filter..... instead of that....buying a cone, adapter, and heat shield!

Comment

Intake heatshield for NA bmw e30 m20 b25

I make custom bolt on heatshields, so if anyonew with a stock AFM and cone intake is interested, email me at bmwe30_benze300@hotmail.com. Lukas sells fairly simple plastic ones, which i can't see fitting anything larger than a miniature K&N. I sell mine for 45 shipped, and everything bolts down to the intake bay and allows larger filters. Email me if anyone is interested. Thank, josh d.

Comment

Any pictures of your heatshield ScreamingBMW? A link to a web page with install pictures maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by chesster6969
                Any pictures of your heatshield ScreamingBMW? A link to a web page with install pictures maybe?
                Here, he emailed me some of his pictures. I'm not sure if he has a host for pics, so i'll just put them up for him.

Comment

that looks pretty damn good
                  BEERTECH

Comment

Hmmm.. wouldnt that sheet metal heat up after a while... and just give of heat?

Comment

Looks good with the exception of one major problem.

Think of driving the car ontrack...
                      Now think engine temps...
                      BUT you say, the metal is shielding the cone from the engine! I'm A-OK!!!

True, but now look again.... Imagine the heat sink that coolant resivor is acting as. That will radiate heat into the bay and be trapped due to the same metal protection you are using to block the engine heat.

Now is that going to make a dramatic difference? Most likely not...
                      Is a cone filter worth it in my opinion? Hell no, thats whay Pete has my hot air intake on his eta and I re-installed the stock airbox.

All its good for imho is to add to a cheesy "mod" list or for that BALLA sound YOH!!!! :roll:
                      Below the radar...

Comment

I was thinking about changine to a cone filter, until

a) i learned how easy it was to change the stock air box
                        b) i heard another E30 around here who had it on

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL
                          Looks good with the exception of one major problem.

Think of driving the car ontrack...
                          Now think engine temps...
                          BUT you say, the metal is shielding the cone from the engine! I'm A-OK!!!

True, but now look again.... Imagine the heat sink that coolant resivor is acting as. That will radiate heat into the bay and be trapped due to the same metal protection you are using to block the engine heat.

Now is that going to make a dramatic difference? Most likely not...
                          Is a cone filter worth it in my opinion? Hell no, thats whay Pete has my hot air intake on his eta and I re-installed the stock airbox.

All its good for imho is to add to a cheesy "mod" list or for that BALLA sound YOH!!!! :roll:
                          Aluminum doesn't hold heat that bad or that long -- especially aluminum so thin. You are very true about the coolant resoviour -- I plan to build mine accordingly ;)

Comment

Re: Intake heatshield for NA bmw e30 m20 b25

Originally posted by Screaming_bmwe30
                            Lukas sells fairly simple plastic ones, which i can't see fitting anything larger than a miniature K&N.
                            I wouldnt say that yours are any better in that respect...
                            James Peacock

WWFSMD?

Comment

Working...
                            X