Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People who got dirt cheap E30s, how did you do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People who got dirt cheap E30s, how did you do it?

I've seen a fair number of stories of E30s purchased for $1,000 and under. There's some guy on /r/E30 who got a very good looking car with a cracked oil pan for $325. Yet every time I check craigslist, the best I've found is a totaled car with half of the parts already gone for $1,000. Even checking CL across the country with searchtempest, there's almost nothing.

Where are you people finding these deals?

Fact is they don't really exist any more, you just have to get super lucky.
    My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by stairmast0r View Post
      I've seen a fair number of stories of E30s purchased for $1,000 and under. There's some guy on /r/E30 who got a very good looking car with a cracked oil pan for $325. Yet every time I check craigslist, the best I've found is a totaled car with half of the parts already gone for $1,000. Even checking CL across the country with searchtempest, there's almost nothing.

Where are you people finding these deals?
      If your near TN https://tricities.craigslist.org/cto/6063093519.html

Only one picture so suspicious but could be a great deal

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

You're too late to the game. Either you get super lucky or it's not gonna happen.

Comment

Its a combination of luck and a lot of hard work to find them out in the wild, hoping that the owners dont know what they have.

I snagged mine from an older lady that was selling her son's 318is as punishment to him for getting a stunt driving ticket. Right place at the right time to be honest, it was dumb luck.
          Steve • Toronto
          1991 318is • Brillantrot
          Build Thread

Comment

Pure luck IMO. Both E30s I currently have I got just out of coincidence and I wasn't even looking for one at the time.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |

Comment

Like has been said, you have to get lucky, and troll craigslist/r3v like crazy.

I reflected on my USDM E30 purchases over the years, and have listed when purchased, how much, what sort of shape it was in when purchased, and how I found it.

'91 318i 2010 - 1,000 7/10 -CL
              '91 318i 2011 - 600 4/10 -CL
              '91 318i 2011 - 1,800 7/10 -CL
              '91 318i 2012 - 1,100 5/10 -r3v
              '89 325i 2013 - 600 6/10 -CL
              '86 325es 2013 - 400 3/10 -CL
              '91 318is 2014 - 1100 5/10 -CL
              '87 325i 2016 - 2200 8/10 -friend

Not sure if I am buying fewer E30s because of increasing prices or just getting off track on other projects/tourings.

Comment

I've purchased 4 e30's under $700 each in the past 3 years. It's about finding people who don't know what an e30 is, and finding a way to talk them down. Also, I might add, all the e30's I've found have had severe problems (Front end damage & water pump, bad auto trans, wrecked front end, and bad manual trans/trashed field find).

"You get what you pay for" is the lesson I've learned over and over and over..

Comment

I have found a few under $1500 when I was looking, the problem at least around here is they were all rusty. I ended up paying more for a car that had very minimal rust (still rust lol) but less then the others and easier to repair.
                  Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

its a combo of luck and e30 karma. with a little bit of people reading and constant browsing too.

i just found a 400 running eta. its been beat on a little, but it starts and runs just fine. but its not the cleanest most pristine e30. it is perfect for what i want it for though.

Comment

stop looking on craigslist (not really), because you wont find the deals there unless you are lucky and quick.

your best bet is to find an old person who bought their E30 and doesnt drive it anymore.
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I found both of mine outside official listings. My uncles friend was a 325ix for $1,000 and my friend was selling her 325i for $1,000 (Paid $1,500) 2 years later. Neither were actually advertised as for sale.
                        My Garage
                        2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                        1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                        1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                        Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

The best move is to check around your local bakeries.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by YosemiteSam View Post
                            The best move is to check around your local bakeries.
                            You'll find even more completely unbelievable deals at discount bakery outlets.

Comment

Combination of luck and being diligent yet patient. Then of course, having the money ready in case an opportunity should pop up. I passed up on my M technic when the original owner had it listed locally on CL due to lack of funds. When I got the money, the car was sold. As luck would have it, years later the same car popped up on the forums and I jumped on it. A couple of cars I bought I found simply by mentioning to other enthusiasts what I was looking for. Next thing I know I'm being put in touch with owners who lost interest for whatever reason. So word of mouth has worked well for me and I didn't even really make too much of an effort. That's why being part of the community is so great.

I go to a lot of meets as well. It's not just about being out there showing off your car or whatever but also talking to people and networking. When I was visiting Florida in 2015 I went to a meet and there was a guy who had a nice Henna M3. He wasn't advertising or was even sure he wanted to sell but they say everyone has a number and his was $25k. I got his number but just didn't need another M3 and I was toying with the idea of an early model Henna instead that would cost much less money. I found a deal on my euro 323i soon after. It's not Henna but oh well.
                              Last edited by reelizmpro; 03-27-2017, 10:21 PM.
                              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Working...
                              X