Is this trailing arm tab normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this trailing arm tab normal?

Just got a '87 325i vert and I'm the middle of getting all the brakes and suspension freshened up. My left rear tire has a fairly large positive camber and toe in. From research it seems that the most likely culprit is the trailing arm and possibly even the subframe. Is there anything else it could be? I took the wheel and brakes off to better inspect the trailing arm and can't see any obvious bends or cracks. Here are pictures of the mounting tabs on the subframe. Can someone tell me if this looks normal?
    Attached Files

The FAQ/DIY section is for staff-approved instructional posts only. Please do not ask questions there. If you don't know where to ask your question, post it in General Technical and we'll move it to the appropriate subforum if necessary. Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by kronus
    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Yeah, that's not normal. Is the other bushing tab the same?

You may need to buy another trailing arm. What side is this? I have a spare for the drivers rear I could sell you. No bearing or dust shield though.
      P.O.S 1989 325is - aka Project Sh*tbox

Project Shitbox - Restomod and other stuff - soon to be 328is

Comment

Originally posted by badwella View Post
        Yeah, that's not normal. Is the other bushing tab the same?

You may need to buy another trailing arm. What side is this? I have a spare for the drivers rear I could sell you. No bearing or dust shield though.
        Ideally, I'd swap the subframe as well. You could straighten the tabs out and hope it isn't really tweaked, but if you're going to do the work, you might as well just do a full swap.

On the plus side, I'm sure it needs new bushings anyway.
        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
          Ideally, I'd swap the subframe as well. You could straighten the tabs out and hope it isn't really tweaked, but if you're going to do the work, you might as well just do a full swap.

On the plus side, I'm sure it needs new bushings anyway.
          Yeah, you're on the right track. With that amount of bending, I'm curious to see if that subframe isn't bent. OP, you can get one from Garagistic that comes with the adjustable camber and toe setup. Unfortunately, without a useable core, it's going to be $500. :(

If you have any pick-n-pulls you can spend the hours to get one out yourself. My local yard charges around $90 for a subframe but it'll take you at least a few hours to get it out (probably way more if you haven't done it before or the bolts are galled).

You could get the trailing arms out with it as well and you'd be all set. Replace the bushings and bearings and you're good to go.

Pick-n-pulls will become your best friend

Comment

Here's a rear subframe on ebay for $139 shipped. That's a pretty good deal, man. I'd jump on it. I've never seen one on ebay for less than $200 without shipping

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm gonna try replacing that trailing arm first and see where that gets me. Just can't see how a slight bend at the tabs would effect camber.

Comment

Working...
              X