• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another 24v swap... Won't run. SOS

Here's the application:
    e30
    M52
    Pink top injectors
    Full OBD1 conversion (valve cover, intake manifold, wiring harness, red label with tune, vanos, all sensors etc etc.)

Here's the problem:
    The car cranks strong but won't start unless the throttle is almost totally open.
    Once it starts, it only runs for 20 or so seconds while I have the throttle open; then it spits and sputters and dies. Sounds/smells/feels like it's dumping too much gas.

Here's what I know:
    The spark plugs are slightly damp after starting and they have a faint smell of gasoline.
    Open header
    O2 sensor isn't plugged in (although I don't think it would be causing SUCH an issue just trying to get it to idle)

I'm sure I left out some other details but I'm hoping someone can point me in a direction because I don't know where to start. I want to know if I should continue buttoning things up to see if it makes it better, or if I should start tearing things apart to see what's wrong... All input is welcome but please don't be a dick. Thanks!

Wish I could help, too bad you didn't stay ODB2

GL!
    555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
    '95 BMW e34 525i
    '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
    '92 Range Rover Classic
    '90 Range Rover Classic
    '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
    '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
    '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
    '67 Pontiac LeMans
    '24 Model T Depot Hack
    ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

Bumparooo

Comment

I would check simple things first, all vacuum lines, idle control valve, MAF etc.. plug in the o2 sensor, does it have any fault codes if you do the stomp test?

Comment

Could be dumping so much fuel too much fuel to the point that the plugs are too wet to spark. do you have an adjustable fpr?

Check the ignition system too, maybe there's no spark. Did you redo the timing?

Check the icv too, since it will fire up with the throttle open.
          Originally posted by wholepailofwater
          Q
          :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Check harmonic balancer position

Comment

try unplugging your airflow meter and see if it gets better.. if it runs well with the airflow meter un plugged you have a bad airflow meter... check the signal hose to the fuel pressure regulator for fuel odor... if the vacuum hose smells like fuel your diaphram in the fpr is perforated and leaking into your intake through the hose... get a dmm on the tps and ect ... make sure that you have the 5v refrence voltage and that the sensors are functioning as intended ...
              get a haynes manual and go over your wiring and sensors to make sure they are working correctly the biggest thing i see in these swaps is folks leaving sensors unplugged ... the dme needs all the info it can get to work correctly... as if it was in the car it came from :-)
              I am an ASE master tech.. ive been in the business for 37 years and work for bmw... no one is really going to be able to accurately diagnose your car on a forum like this with the info you have given unless they get lucky and guess correctly...
              if a few checks dont get to the root of the problem bring it to someone who can diagnose and repair it... who knows wiring... you may have bad power connections or ground connections to the dme... look up power and ground supply voltage drop testing and make sure the powers and grounds do not have voltage drops ...
              JAK
              Last edited by jstoll; 06-30-2019, 02:25 PM.

Comment

The OP hasn't owned the car for almost two years...nor has he logged in to this site, for over two years...

Check the dates before posting, guys...
                '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

:-) good point
                  JAK

Comment

Cps could be bad or the little holt holding it in could be lose or not there causing that
                    Also check to make sure you didn’t somehow clock your harmonic balancer wrong of the key way falls out

Comment

Working...
                    X