No announcement yet.

the Aluminum Monster. a 318 with a special 24v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still loving your car man. Looks proper with the plastic bumpers and track-oriented setup.
    1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

Originally posted by MatRacer View Post
      Nurburgring!
      Lol I meant laguna seca as a suggestion for next track day, I am properly jealous hes driving that car on the nurburgring now

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
      '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
      Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
        Lol I meant laguna seca as a suggestion for next track day, I am properly jealous hes driving that car on the nurburgring now

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
        Haha yeah! Was surprised about your answer. Lol

Lucky 2mAn for the ring but also for Laguna Seca! Was it a tourist open hour or a track day with a school?

I went once on a tourist open hour and it was totally crazy with the bikes, full race cars, tourist bus going like 30....!
        E30 now S52
        2008 Suburban LTZ (Family and TT hauler)
        325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
          He's sponsored by Home Depot's gardening section.

I'm about to go down this path as well, but I'm stubborn to buy the heat-shield plates and want to make my own.
          Are there any more affordable ones than these? Seems like it could be a very profitable production item, as there aren't many on the market at the moment and it's such a simple design.

E30 Brake Cooling Backing Plates, designed to route air into the spinning brake rotors, thus cooling rotors and brake fluid.
          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

the Aluminum Monster. a 318 with a special 24v

Originally posted by c0rbin9 View Post
            Still loving your car man. Looks proper with the plastic bumpers and track-oriented setup.
            Thanks, it's come a long way. The late model conversion was mostly done when I got the car, but it looks quite different still from page 1

Originally posted by MatRacer

Lucky 2mAn for the ring but also for Laguna Seca! Was it a tourist open hour or a track day with a school?

I went once on a tourist open hour and it was totally crazy with the bikes, full race cars, tourist bus going like 30....!

It was a tourist day but a Tuesday and with mostly crappy weather the track was pretty empty. I put the car in sport to "manually" shift it, but left the traction control on because the summer tires and nearly slick track were not a combo I wanted to test and it kicked in a few times. The car had 22km on it when I got it. Basically drove it straight to the Ring (hit 250kmph) and then hit 4 laps and drove it back to Mainz were we stayed with my wife's cousins. Sixt hasn't said anything about where I took it so I don't think they banned me. I'll probably rent from them again since you can get some cool cars. I still have one lap left on my prepaid card. Probably another 2 years until I can convince the wife that we need to go to Germany again.

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post

Laguna is a little harder to organize so it will probably be Buttonwillow again, but we'll see.

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
            Are there any more affordable ones than these? Seems like it could be a very profitable production item, as there aren't many on the market at the moment and it's such a simple design.

https://www.harrisonmotorsports.com/...s-pair-en.html

Condor sells them for $100, that's who I got them from. The Orange hose is a mishimoto item I bought off Amazon, I actually have a decent amount left. They sell it in 12 ft sections and I have probably half that left.
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

How did you like the m2?
              Originally posted by wholepailofwater
              Q
              :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                Condor sells them for $100, that's who I got them from. The Orange hose is a mishimoto item I bought off Amazon, I actually have a decent amount left. They sell it in 12 ft sections and I have probably half that left.
                Awesome, thanks! I've got the adapters for the valance, but need the brackets.
                1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by MatRacer View Post
                  Very good idea! I went with the AAF duct adapter... they are 3d printed... would have like to read this earlier! Anyway I'm in the process of fabricating heat shields. I will receive the parts from the laser cut next week .. I can provide drawings if it turn out well.

My friend, I would absolutely love drawings of that if you're able to provide them.

Please keep me posted.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Drove up to Charlie's house to collect his shifter v.84 or whatever it was lol

Always a scenic view up there but I was more excited to leave there with my iS lip still intact and a PMC shifter. Seriously a cool piece. Wish I had the little yellow washers so I could start installing it. I might be able to do it tomorrow, we'll see
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      Drove up to Charlie's house to collect his shifter v.84 or whatever it was lol
                      Wish I had the little yellow washers so I could start installing it. I might be able to do it tomorrow, we'll see
                      what shift selector rod will you be using? I had no space for those yellow washers with my AKG selector rod
                      89 325i 4dr s52
                      02 BMW 525iT m54b30/manual swapped (daily) *sold*
                      21' Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6 speed Manual

Comment

I already have a twisted UUC for my G260. I'd prefer it to fit those little guys but if not it won't be a big deal
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

So I figured I should get started with the shifter install since I hate it when the parts collection grows. I knew I couldn't get it done today, but figured I could remove everything in the way and be one step closer for Saturday. Pulled the center console out and everything so I could get to just the shift rod itself.

Couldn't resist doing this since I knew it wasn't getting installed today

Started removing the insulation and something didn't look right about it as it was coming out, and then once it was out it made sense why ....

None of that is going back in.

I knew the shifter didn't sit perfectly centered before and now I'm a little worried what it might do with this new shifter.

Am I being paranoid?

I will get under the car on Saturday to pull this crap out but figured I'd post a half-ass update to see if I need to make a parts run before Saturday.

Thoughts?
                          Last edited by 2mAn; 08-04-2022, 08:55 AM.
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

you should be fine, you get rid of that whole shifter arm with the bushings and the cup so as long as the dssr isnt tweaked somehow you'll be fine.

sidenote: hit the rusted areas on the bottom with a wire wheel and throw a coat of paint on it before installing the shifter. now's the perfect time since that shouldn't take long and you have until saturday!
                            89 325i 4dr s52
                            02 BMW 525iT m54b30/manual swapped (daily) *sold*
                            21' Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6 speed Manual

Comment

Originally posted by s14brent View Post
                              you should be fine, you get rid of that whole shifter arm with the bushings and the cup so as long as the dssr isnt tweaked somehow you'll be fine.

sidenote: hit the rusted areas on the bottom with a wire wheel and throw a coat of paint on it before installing the shifter. now's the perfect time since that shouldn't take long and you have until saturday!

Thanks!

You think that sponge held some water to help the rust ?... haha
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

If you're gonna strip back some paint I would tack in those carrier bolts they provide. It's a pain in the butt to mess with the shifter, I always need someone to hold the bolts under the car.

Comment

Working...
                                X