First time e30 purchase....need buying help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rusty.Piranha
    His first ebay name was - lsark68-8, he recently changed it. The guy's name I spoke to on phone was Armin, not Erik and the car was located in Reseda, CA.

I think the ebay account is posing as CoupeKing...

Run, run like the wind.

I just confirmed with Erik that he, nor his business CoupeKing, is affiliated with that douche-canoe of an ebay seller in any way. I repeat, this guy is parading around pretending to be somebody he isn't.
    Last edited by SkiFree; 04-26-2017, 04:06 PM.
    ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty.Piranha
      What a tool, he should be shut down!! I asked him to send me a photo of the door jam and this was his response:

"No sorry please don't bid on my item, 5k gets you a regular simple car off craigslist. Don't not bid on my item.
      "
      What a prick, its totally not an IS.
      Originally posted by wholepailofwater
      Q
      :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

What you guys think of this? Would you ever go for a car that has 7 owners? Confirmed with owner there is dent on driver side valance.

Comment

Rusty,

The add appears to be another flipper/dealer. It may be a decent car, but I cannot emphasize the importance of a proper pre-purchase-inspection.

Coming from the 2002 world and seeing many many people get burned due to a lack of a good PPI, e30's are starting to warrant the same due diligence.

Any good seller will agree to a PPI (as long as you pay for it and it is a reasonable distance). Ideally use a shop well-versed in vintage BMW's.
          ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
            Rusty,

The add appears to be another flipper/dealer. It may be a decent car, but I cannot emphasize the importance of a proper pre-purchase-inspection.

Coming from the 2002 world and seeing many many people get burned due to a lack of a good PPI, e30's are starting to warrant the same due diligence.

Any good seller will agree to a PPI (as long as you pay for it and it is a reasonable distance). Ideally use a shop well-versed in vintage BMW's.
            Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely get a PPI, there's no question. I'd like to not waste the money on PPI and time spent driving to car to check it out. That's why I was asking what people think.

What are some things you avoid/look for on e30 before committing to PPI?

Comment

First time e30 purchase....need buying help

Hmm.. read your thead. Well if you really had to go to the forums for an opinion. Personally In my opinion I feel you should keep to that gut feeling of just not going through with it.. unless you get that supplemental information any person would ask for.. the credentials aren't there. If you feel THAT unsure. Just wait on some teen that'll need money and will sell theirs soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

^

Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                Q
                :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

hahahah, that picture is creepy and epic at the same time!

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...085517760.html - this one is super clean but it's some serious cheddar

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty.Piranha View Post
                    hahahah, that picture is creepy and epic at the same time!

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...085517760.html - this one is super clean but it's some serious cheddar

My friend will take north of 7 without the wheels if you're interested.
                    Timing components were replaced/serviced last year with receipts from Offset Motorwerks and I personally installed the suspension myself, advised/serviced a couple things.
                    It's a nice car - I originally was trying to buy it as my daily before he added his touches to it.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

What you guys think of this? Would you ever go for a car that has 7 owners? Confirmed with owner there is dent on driver side valance.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...097468915.html
                      Don't let the number of owners scare you. How well the car was taken care of is more important. My 325is had several previous owners, but the last 4 were all BMWCCA members and it shows. I have a 3 inch binder full of receipts and records back into the late 90s, not to mention the original paint speaks for itself.

I will take a well maintained car with several owners over a 1-3 owner car with little to no documentation or maintenance history. Finding a one owner car that a little old lady only put 50K miles on sounds good, but it is worthless if she didn't keep up with all the maintenance. She might have done oil changes & belts, but after 25 years there is a lot more than that needing replacing over the years.
                      1989 325is Lachssilber - Sold
                      1990 325is Sterlingsilber - Current Project
                      September 2018 Car of the Month: Zeemz
                      Youtube Track & Autocross Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Zeemz View Post
                        Don't let the number of owners scare you. How well the car was taken care of is more important. My 325is had several previous owners, but the last 4 were all BMWCCA members and it shows. I have a 3 inch binder full of receipts and records back into the late 90s, not to mention the original paint speaks for itself.

I will take a well maintained car with several owners over a 1-3 owner car with little to no documentation or maintenance history. Finding a one owner car that a little old lady only put 50K miles on sounds good, but it is worthless if she didn't keep up with all the maintenance. She might have done oil changes & belts, but after 25 years there is a lot more than that needing replacing over the years.
                        What a find! In that color and all the maintenance documentation...gorgeous. That is exactly what I'm searching for....hopefully I find a gem like that. You think with an ideal budget around 5k and absolute stretch budget of 7k I could find something similar?

Comment

What a find! In that color and all the maintenance documentation...gorgeous. That is exactly what I'm searching for....hopefully I find a gem like that. You think with an ideal budget around 5k and absolute stretch budget of 7k I could find something similar?
                          I think there are still solid $5-7K cars to be found, but to get a really pristine car it approaches $10K+ quickly, especially for 325is and 318is models. A lot depends on what you are looking for. I think a decent 325i or 318i car can be had in your price range, but it will take some searching.

I searched for several months before I found the car I wanted. Even then I had to have shipped it across the country to avoid east coast rust buckets. I paid a premium, but a clean body was worth it to me. I also still put a few thousand into the car when I got it, some required and some for things I wanted to upgrade. But that is part of the game when it comes to buying 25 year old cars. Even ones that are well cared for still needs work.

I recommend finding the nicest $5K E30 you can and saving the $2K stretch funds for maintenance/repairs for the first year surprises. And if you are not doing your own work that $2K might not go as far as you think.

Also be patient, that is the key. The more you look, the more you will know when the right deal is in front of you and when to go for it.
                          Last edited by Zeemz; 04-27-2017, 07:31 PM.
                          1989 325is Lachssilber - Sold
                          1990 325is Sterlingsilber - Current Project
                          September 2018 Car of the Month: Zeemz
                          Youtube Track & Autocross Videos

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                            ^

It was creepy.. but hope you get the car you want man.

Micheladas..... is 'wut'.. hehe...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Zeemz View Post
                              I think there are still solid $5-7K cars to be found, but to get a really pristine car it approaches $10K+ quickly, especially for 325is and 318is models. A lot depends on what you are looking for. I think a decent 325i or 318i car can be had in your price range, but it will take some searching.

I searched for several months before I found the car I wanted. Even then I had to have shipped it across the country to avoid east coast rust buckets. I paid a premium, but a clean body was worth it to me. I also still put a few thousand into the car when I got it, some required and some for things I wanted to upgrade. But that is part of the game when it comes to buying 25 year old cars. Even ones that are well cared for still needs work.

I recommend finding the nicest $5K E30 you can and saving the $2K stretch funds for maintenance/repairs for the first year surprises. And if you are not doing your own work that $2K might not go as far as you think.

Also be patient, that is the key. The more you look, the more you will know when the right deal is in front of you and when to go for it.
                              Great advice Zeemz! I've been searching like a mad man everyday (forums, craigslist, ebay, etc) Summer is right around the corner and I'm getting antsy, I wanna be cruising windows down in a beautiful e30!!!!!
                              Last edited by Rusty.Piranha; 04-28-2017, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Good start?

Comment

Working...
                                X