Preparing e30 steering rack for a future ls1 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preparing e30 steering rack for a future ls1 swap

I have a 91 318 that I am slowly prepping for an ls1 swap, so far I have all fresh front suspension except for the rack. Anyways, since I need to upgrade the rack to make room for the swap and I'm tired of the 4 turn lock to lock I decided that I need to upgrade now. I have been doing some research online on how to do the rack swap on cars with airbag columns and it seems pretty straight forward, so I ordered an E46 purple tag rack from rackdoctor and the spacers needed.

Im planning on using a sikky kit to do the swap but the oem rag joint does not clear their headers, is there any steering shaft available out there that are straight bolt on for airbag steering columns? all the ones I find are for the non airbag cars.
    First e30 - 1991 318i 4 door

The problem I had was finding a joint that matched the splines AND diameter of the airbag column. I ended up welding it on....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Nick

Comment

Yeah, it seems like no one carries a joint that matches the airbag column. It looks like my only options is are to get the joint welded or to force a non matching joint I might have to get a joint welded on there, but I really don't want to.

Comment

Well flaming river has one that is sooo fing close but I guess 1mm is too much. I tried filing it down but not a good idea. One thing I didn't try was seeing if there's a joint that will adapt the splines under the kick panel just off the steering wheel into a D shaft. Try measuring and go to flamingriver.

-Nick

Comment

Get rid of the airbag column, and wheel, then make the E46 shaft. Problem solved.
          Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_08 View Post
            Well flaming river has one that is sooo fing close but I guess 1mm is too much. I tried filing it down but not a good idea. One thing I didn't try was seeing if there's a joint that will adapt the splines under the kick panel just off the steering wheel into a D shaft. Try measuring and go to flamingriver.

Im thinking of buying a spare steering wheel column bar shaft (just the lower part), cut it short and have a coupler with a 3/4 DD end welded to it, kinda like you did. What is the part number for the joint that you welded on?

Originally posted by delamaize View Post
            Get rid of the airbag column, and wheel, then make the E46 shaft. Problem solved.
            This is another option, but how hard is it to do this?
            Last edited by z28; 12-11-2016, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by z28 View Post
              This is another option, but how hard is it to do this?
              I'd start here:
              Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Thanks for the link, Im gonna go over it in detail tomorrow.

Comment

The column swap wasn't hard, just make sure you get a column off of a 86 or 87 so you don't have to fabricate the firewall mount. The worst part is having to take the dash out I talk about this on page 7 some: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...=376089&page=7

I agree with delamaize, just swap out the column and call it a day. It was very easy making the E46 sourced steering linkage.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                  Transaction feedback
                  - jpod999

Comment

I received my e46 rack today along with the so called e36 tie rod ends, but Im not sure I got e36 tie rod ends. One of the tie rods is thicker and heavier then the other one even though they are both the same length. I think I got e46 tie rod ends, but Im not sure. Is there anyway to figure out if I have e36 or e46 tie rod ends? Here are two pics of the outer tie rods that I received.

The one on the right is thicker and heavier then the one on the left, but they are about the same length. If they are both from an e36 then I prefer having the thiner one to avoid any clearance issues.

Here is another pic of the two tie rods from a different angle. As you can see, the one on the right looks to be more beefy.

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                    The column swap wasn't hard, just make sure you get a column off of a 86 or 87 so you don't have to fabricate the firewall mount. The worst part is having to take the dash out I talk about this on page 7 some: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...=376089&page=7

I agree with delamaize, just swap out the column and call it a day. It was very easy making the E46 sourced steering linkage.
                    After going over the threads that involve swapping the column I have decided that it would be easier to have a 3/4 DD built into the stock column.

Comment

If you don't mind going with manual steering I highly recommend a Z4 rack swap. so much simpler, less maintenance, no plumbing, less things to go wrong, etc and it feels real good. I also felt the powered racks are overpowered even when I ran a Z3 rack.
                      Alpine White 1989 E30 Coupe - LS1/T56

Comment

Originally posted by Q8y_drifter View Post
                        If you don't mind going with manual steering I highly recommend a Z4 rack swap. so much simpler, less maintenance, no plumbing, less things to go wrong, etc and it feels real good. I also felt the powered racks are overpowered even when I ran a Z3 rack.
                        ^ Agreed
                        I haven't driven with mine yet but moving it around in the driveway is easy. If you get the steering linkage with it, you should be able to modify and use it without any fancy parts.

Current: '91 DS M3, '03 TS M3 (6MT)
                        '06 Chevy 2500 Duramax - Race car hauler, '90 Corvette - Weekend toy
                        Past: '88 AW M3, '87 RB M6, '98 CS M3, '88 DS M3, '88 Zinno M3, '88 AW SETA (facelift),
                        1988 Super E (Bronzit - grey wrap)- RIP, 1986 353, 1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

IG: RDE_Fabrications
                        Check us out
                        Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

Originally posted by Q8y_drifter View Post
                          I do not mind but I already have the e46 rack, so I'm just gonna go with it.

Originally posted by sgtskid View Post
                          ^ Agreed
                          I haven't driven with mine yet but moving it around in the driveway is easy. If you get the steering linkage with it, you should be able to modify and use it without any fancy parts.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...2&postcount=25
                          Im stuck with the e46 rack now.

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post

Was swapping the steering lock hard?

Comment

Why even change it? I'm running an airbag column, stock rack, stock linkage. No issues at all.
                              '92 MTech cabrio: Tesla P85 powered

IG: telsa_bimmer

'95 Alpine M3 5.3 LS, Precision 7675, TH400/Gear Vendors OD
                              10.4@136 pump gas at 3530lbs. (SOLD)

Comment

Working...
                              X