Rear Outer CV Joints removable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Outer CV Joints removable?

Can you disassemble the outer cv joints in the rear? It seems a bit unrealistic to clean out the old grease without doing so. I was looking at this post on e36s and the axles seem to be very similar to E30s.

e36 complete axle breakdown

Only problem I see here is accessing the snap ring on the outer one. I'm assuming its on the inner side, so after removing the metal "cap" piece, I would be able to see it. But I am unsure and would prefer to not just "wing it."

Thoughts?

edit: the snap ring is on the outer side. so id' have to remove the abs thingy and work from that side......some people say you can remove them. It just feels silly to replace the boot and have the majority of the original CV grease in there. My boot did not crack however still....

Edit2: I'm thinking there may not even be a snapping on this side tbh. It seems to have tons of forward and backwards play on the axle. The outer joint that is. Here are some pictures:

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like Flaxel.

It seems the spindle and cage would be able to simply slide out if it weren't contacting the outer metal collar piece. It's crazy hard to get it off without deforming it...

edit edit edit: for anyone searching in the future - It looks like you probably could remove the metal collar piece however it's really really pressed on there. So in removing it you, you'd be hard pressed not to deform it. I'm going to simply get in there as best I can with some sort of cleaner. Not sure what though as i obviously don't want to compromise the CV joint internals

edit 4: ran across this thread on bimmerforums. It has pertinent information in post 15. Looks like I'll be picking up some brake cleaner on the way home

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-Grease-Repack
    Last edited by BaltimoreBimmer; 04-11-2017, 12:03 PM.

The only way I have ever done the CV joints has been to remove the half shafts and rebuild them using BMW kits. However, if there is significant play in the CV joint the half shaft(s) need to be replaced. While there are relatively inexpensive non-OEM half shafts, every one I've seen has the wrong outboard boots, which rub on the shocks and destroy the boots. So I only use the more expensive BMW parts.

When you remove the half shafts, clean and carefully inspect the splines for galling. If galled both the half shaft, rear hub, and bearings must be replaced.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
    X