Anyone run these? BBS RZ 15x7 et20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone run these? BBS RZ 15x7 et20

There are some e30s running around with these wheels, but I haven't seen them on an iX. Anyone have photos and/or experience?

The RZ is like a Euroweave or iX weave, but have a convex face, giving an illusion of more lip/width. The width of 7" and offset of 20 seems reasonable on an iX, so I'd be surprised if nobody has tried it.

Edit: It's technically called the RZ378 and was apparently an optional wheel for the E30.

Last edited by bluebmw.com; 04-26-2017, 11:05 AM.

ET20 is too low. They might fit with a 195, but they will rub badly with a 205/55.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Update: I bought a set and will be test fitting them with 205/50 Yokohama S.Drives. I'll post photos and fitment results.

Comment

Loool
        AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
          Loool
          What?

Comment

Nando told you. You didn't listen. I was laughing.

I slightly rub the sidewall with 205s on 15x7et25. I can't imagine making it 5mm worse.
            AWD > RWD

Comment

Sub'd for info and pics.

I'd like to test style 5 et24 in my iX. IX style fives dont exist where i live :rippedoff:

Comment

It will rub. Can you have the back face machined down 3mm?
                AWD > RWD

Comment

Nando told you. You didn't listen. I was laughing.
                  I'm a bit of a wheel hoarder, so I bought these to refurbish for hobby. If they don't work on the iX, no worries, I can put them on one of my other 4x100 BMWs with more clearance. The wheels were local and I already have spare 205/50 tires, so the barrier to entry was pretty low. Not like I ordered new tires online and had the wheels shipped from Russia!

I slightly rub the sidewall with 205s on 15x7et25. I can't imagine making it 5mm worse.
                  Good data point. Are you running 205/55 or 205/50? Sometimes the balloon effect of the taller 55 or 60 series will bulge out more, causing rubbing.

It will rub. Can you have the back face machined down 3mm?
                  That's a possibility!

If there's one thing I've learned from internet car forums, it's that you have to take every piece of advice with a grain of salt, especially when it comes to wheel fitment. One man's "too tight" is another man's "perfect fitment."

Every car has minor variations from 25+ years of use, in addition to individual tire variations. I know of stock cars that rub on one fender but not the other. Different brands of the "same" size tire, like a 205, have variations sometimes greater than 205s VS 215s of the same brand.

Everyone told me that I couldn't fit 15x7 et12 Alpinas under the stock fenders of my BMW 2002, but guess what I went and did? A little test fitting and determination goes a long way. Maybe I'll just have to go the VW route and stretch some 165s over these bad boys. ;)

Jokes aside, I will definitely post progress photos as I clean them up, mount tires, and test fit.

Comment

205/55 is the stock size - 205/50 is a little undersized.

it *might* not rub too badly with a stock ride height, but it's going to look goofy - the smaller profile will increase wheel gap over the already substantial stock gap, and at the same time they are going to poke out even more than the ET25 wheels do (which is already pretty substantial).

Additionally, rubbing in the rear is basically unavoidable even with a smaller tire - it doesn't even rub on the fender lip, it will rub up inside the fender well where you can't make any modifications for more clearance.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      205/55 is the stock size - 205/50 is a little undersized.

it *might* not rub too badly with a stock ride height, but it's going to look goofy - the smaller profile will increase wheel gap over the already substantial stock gap, and at the same time they are going to poke out even more than the ET25 wheels do (which is already pretty substantial).

Additionally, rubbing in the rear is basically unavoidable even with a smaller tire - it doesn't even rub on the fender lip, it will rub up inside the fender well where you can't make any modifications for more clearance.
                      Thanks for the insight. My particular iX is lowered pretty significantly and has more camber than most, so that will play a part in this equation as well. Are you saying that the rear will most likely be more of an issue than the front?

Comment

In for updates. I just bought a set of these from Poland.

Site note: I like the color of the wheels in the OP. Are those the original color? Is that a BBS color or a BMW color? Is it one and the same?
                        1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

Originally posted by bluebmw.com View Post
                          Thanks for the insight. My particular iX is lowered pretty significantly and has more camber than most, so that will play a part in this equation as well. Are you saying that the rear will most likely be more of an issue than the front?
                          yes, most likely - although you will probably rub the fender liners up front at full lock, in the rear it will likely rub on the body no matter what you do.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by c0rbin9 View Post
                            In for updates. I just bought a set of these from Poland.

Site note: I like the color of the wheels in the OP. Are those the original color? Is that a BBS color or a BMW color? Is it one and the same?
                            Not my photo, but it looks like the original BBS silver color. I don't believe there's a separate BMW color.

Comment

I run 205/50. I rub on both sides in the rear with hard cornering. Not bad enough for me to do anything about it, it just scuffs the tire. But add 5mm? Then I'd have a problem.
                              AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                              X