X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Output bulb versions

Originally posted by arecks View Post
    Would you mind sharing, please?
    No, I do not mind. Since I got the OK from blazinxpk, here is the info. Be aware that these fit the majority of cars, in some cases a different bulb is used. Contact me, we'll figure it out.

By position, with bulb number and candlepower output. Stock bulb no. and output follow in parens. Output in candlepower (cp) or lumens (lu).

Standard incandescent- Krypton gas filled bulbs:
    Tail - 17311, 10 cp (R10W, 4 or 6 cp)
    Brake, rear turn, reverse, center brake (exc. 'vert) - P3497, 45 cp (P21, 32 cp)
    Front park/turn - P3496, 3/43 cp (P21-5, 5/32 cp)
    Side marker - 3886X, 7 cp (3893/1893, 3 cp)

HIR = Halogen Infrared Reflector bulbs, Phillips
    HIR Headlight bulbs are the same watts as stock lamps!
    High beam (9011) - 2500 lu (HB3, ~1280 lu)
    Low Beam (9012) - ~1875 lu (HB4, 1140 lu)
    High/Low/Fog (H1, H3) - Narva RangePower +50 , ??? lu (std H1, H3, ?? lu)
    (RangePower claim: 'up to 50% more light')

I will be glad to provide sets of these, it's how I try to keep you out of trouble. They're not usually available at auto parts chain stores.

Watts are equal to or slightly higher than stock, and all bulb bases are nickel plated as required by BMW. I have used these lamps without any issues for ten years, and include them in all my 'Mo Brighta' upgrades to double size and triple output of rear lights. Even if you do not want the upgrade, these bulbs will help keep them 'off your tail' by lighting up more brightly. And they are mandatory for tinted / smoked tails!

NO, they do not melt lenses or blow fuses or trigger the check panel.

Thanks for asking!
    Last edited by Mo Brighta; 10-17-2014, 07:07 PM. Reason: add H1, H3
    Andy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
    Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.
    Tail Light Improvements keep them off your tail.
    Headlight protection saves headlights from breakage.

Comment

Can someone post an OEM part number for the OBC light bar?

Comment

Originally posted by TrentOSU View Post
        Can someone post an OEM part number for the OBC light bar?
        your question will be answered if you read the OP....

Comment

Quick question for something I found interesting:

How is that for the Euro smileys, BOTH the Low beams and high beams use a 55w H1?

Isn't one bulb supposed to brighter? Please enlighten me someone.

Thank you,

Sina

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
          1983 Peugeot 505 STI
          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
          2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
            Quick question for something I found interesting:

How is that for the Euro smileys, BOTH the Low beams and high beams use a 55w H1?

Isn't one bulb supposed to brighter? Please enlighten me someone.

Thank you,

Sina
            its not the bulb that determines the difference between the lows and the highs. its the light pattern emitted from that particular housing. the lows use a projector, where as the highs use a reflector housing.

think of it this way: the lows will project light on the lower half of the road in front of you (where you want it to be under normal driving). the highs will project light on the upper half of the road in front of you (where you want it to be under lets say mountain driving/or any dark road condition).

i hope this clears things up.

Comment

Need some help, great post by the way. The turn signals in my euro front bumper were missing a bulb and I'm getting the fast turn signal blinker when I tried a bulb I had of unknown origin from another car. My guess it's the wrong resistance so the car thinks the turn signals are out.

When I search: 63217160793 on realoem it doesn't list anything other than US-spec. But since my car is a US-spec car, should I put this in the euro front turn signal holder?

Alternatively for a euro 2/87 build 325i coupe I see #5 listed in this diagram but there is no part # in the list.

Edit: user error on realoem apparently. I tried again using 63217160793 and checked the Europe box (again) and saw #5 in that parts list entered. So it looks like 63217160793 is what I need for my euro front turn signals.
              cars: E12 M535i, E30 325is, E46 325xiT 5spd

Comment

Well I have confused myself sufficiently....

I am looking to upgrade my cars lighting to LED. Most immediately I need the small interior bulbs (cluster, ashtray, euro clock, hvac, etc) so I can put my dash back in and not worry about them again. But figured I would order everything to do some of my exterior lights also.

I was on www.superbrightleds.com and referenced a few threads here and got overwhelmed with the options and trying to figure exactly what I need or whats actually best. I put together the following sheet to try organizing the info I found on r3v.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing (PM me if you would like to editing privilege )

I am very comfortable with a soldering iron if needed, but I was hoping someone may have a list, invoice, or something detailing all the LED bulbs for an upgrade or even a vendor familiar with this cars ( @Mo Brighta ??)

If anyone is willing to help me consolidate the information I will b esure this sheet is updated and shared for future r3v / e30 people.

Thank you!

Comment

How'd you make out with this? I need to replace a bunch of the 2721 bulbs, but those little bastards are expensive ($6 for 2 of them...)

Originally posted by moosefist View Post
                  Well I have confused myself sufficiently....

I am looking to upgrade my cars lighting to LED. Most immediately I need the small interior bulbs (cluster, ashtray, euro clock, hvac, etc) so I can put my dash back in and not worry about them again. But figured I would order everything to do some of my exterior lights also.

I was on www.superbrightleds.com and referenced a few threads here and got overwhelmed with the options and trying to figure exactly what I need or whats actually best. I put together the following sheet to try organizing the info I found on r3v.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing (PM me if you would like to editing privilege )

I am very comfortable with a soldering iron if needed, but I was hoping someone may have a list, invoice, or something detailing all the LED bulbs for an upgrade or even a vendor familiar with this cars ( @Mo Brighta ??)

If anyone is willing to help me consolidate the information I will b esure this sheet is updated and shared for future r3v / e30 people.

Thank you!
                  1991 318is ---230K - DD
                  1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                  so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Originally posted by jrobie79 View Post
                    How'd you make out with this? I need to replace a bunch of the 2721 bulbs, but those little bastards are expensive ($6 for 2 of them...)

JROBBIE: My wholesaler has 2721s FAR cheaper than $3 each, let me know how many you need and I'll get you the good guy discount! The lamp is listed as wedge base, W2x4.6D, 12V 1.2W. This is the one, right? I've heard these called 'grain of wheat' bulbs.
                    MOOSEFIST: send me a PM or email, we'll take this off line and try to get your list filled out, and find some good options for you and the like minded r3v community.

Andy, AKA Mo Brighta
                    Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.

Comment

I'm glad all you guys found this info useful. Here's where I keep the maintained version. I modify it when I get new info. (Although that's not very often anymore.)

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

"Never cared one way or another about BMW until I had to work on one..."

Things that move me
                      1986 Delphin 528e - Wife's car
                      1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - My winter snowmobile
                      1998 Avus Blau 328iC - My topless summer girl with only 85k miles

Comment

New HO lamp numbers

Originally posted by arecks View Post
                        Would you mind sharing, please?
                        Not at all. Here are some high output (HO) lamps I sell - including a new brighter H1 for headlights / fog lights.

H1 headlight / fog light: 27420, 12V 55W ~2350 CP; Vosla, a German lamp (claims +100% over stock lamp).

Brake-turn-reverse: P3497, 12V 27W 45CP - CPI (supplier brand), same spec as Stanley HO lamp for Honda, Acura. Stanley sells only thru dealers. +33% over stock lamp.

Front turns: P3496, 27/5W, 43/3 CP. Similar to P3497; two filament.

Tail (rear running light): 17311, 12V 10W 10CP; made in Poland by Narva (Germany). +67% ~ +150% over stock lamp.

HB3 / HB4 headlights: 9011 and 9012. Same watts, way brighter. I trim the base flanges a few mm to fit the headlight, so installation is easy as changing a stock bulb (claims +50% ~ +100% over stock lamps).

Give me a shout if I can help, anyone. These lamps are not generally available at auto parts stores, sometimes with the same numbers - but without the higher output. Also, they are MUY Expensivo!I get them from a big wholesaler at good prices so I can sell below retail.

I will save you money and get your lights brighter without risking any of that precious smoke escaping from the wiring... you know the kind! That is why I selected the lamps I did. Same for rear light upgrades - no risk of melting a lens, either. I run these lamps in my E28, have for over a decade with no issues.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Mo Brighta View Post
                          No, I do not mind. Since I got the OK from blazinxpk, here is the info. Be aware that these fit the majority of cars, in some cases a different bulb is used. Contact me, we'll figure it out.
                          Four plus years later and I finally see this. Maybe I wasn't subbed to the thread.

Anyway, I "kept coming back" and found this now that I'm doing some replacing of my cluster bulbs and need some replacements for my marker lights.

Printed the OP and yours for future ref!
                          Thanks again!
                          Last edited by arecks; 04-10-2019, 10:25 AM. Reason: Subbed
                          :devil:Alex:devil:
                          '89 e30

Comment

Hello All

1st --> thank you for the BEST THREAD EVER!!!!!

Just upgraded to the Mirror w/Map Light and boy are the existing bulbs dull. I bought some LED's but they are way too big. Does anyone have any experiences/recommendations here for an LED bayonet (?) style bulb that will work?

Maybe like these?

Thanks
                            David

Comment

Originally posted by blazinxpk View Post
                              here is a list of the various bulbs that are in our e30s.
                              gotta be the most helpful thread ever. been planning to replace a bunch of exterior bulbs that went bad and never could find out what they were. thanks

Comment

Does anyone have an instrument cluster bulb diagram? I want to replace these 2 bulbs here that I’ve circled in the pic, but am unsure if these are part 63217167000 “instrument wedge” or 07119905358 “instrument illumination” when referencing the bulb list sticky.
                                89’ 325i Coupe Schwarz
                                89’ 325i Cabrio Alpine Weiss II
                                90’ 325is Schwarz

Comment

Working...
                                X