Suspension annoyances. r3v geniuses please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension annoyances. r3v geniuses please

hey guys looking for some help with a problem cars an e46 and i have posted this on e46 fanatics as well but honestly i know and trust this forum more so here ya go any help would be great.

I'm having vibration/ suspension issues need some pointers, I've have searched heavily on all forums and haven't found all info I'm needing so i figure ask the experts. a month ago i did CA's, CAB's, Sway bar end links, resurfaced my rotors , and replaced the two front wheel bearing hubs. as well as an alignment after it was all replaced. I'm now getting vibration at 80+ mph in the steering wheel and really the whole car i doesn't feel like wobbly tie rods more of a vibration through the whole car can feel it in the back of my seat and everything. i have put the car back in the air and checked all suspension bolts to make sure nothing is loose as well as caliper carrier bolts and nothing budges. tires are at 39 up front and 46 out back as per the manual, tires are also in great condition as well. took wheels off and checked wheel bearings they are tight and on there(even though i am getting a helicopter noise 45-60 mph,haven't determined if its from the front or rear though) wheels are torqued to spec. sway bar bushing look fine (small crack in one but not to worrisome) after i got the alignment i went home and popped the hood to find one of the strut mount bolts was loose like when they pop out of their carrier and you have to use a pry bar to re tighten it but i got it tight again(maybe the drive home with one bolt loose adjusted camber or just moved the mount a little in general ?) the little mounting pin on strut tower was not aligned with the hole but i searched and that seems to be a normal thing so they can adjust alignment. other than that I'm stumped can't think of much the only thing I'm still going to try are new tie rods (only piece i didn't change), and a tire balance otherwise can't think of what else. also when i reverse and then hit the brakes hard or soft there is a popping noise(one solid pop like something moves) but can't find anything loose under car. any help would be awesome i know some of you guys really know your **** or just can tell me what I'm over looking. thanks in advanced car is a 04 330ci ZHP 6mt all stock. SORRY FOR LONG POST
    i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

click on reverse is your ABS. Nothing to worry about.

Get your wheels/tires balanced asap. If this was the e30 in your avatar I would suggest stiffening the from with a skid plate. Worked wonders with my e30 vert cowl shake.

Probably couldn't hurt, but if everything has been done in the suspension then the problem most likely lies within the wheels or drivetrain mounts.
    sigpic
    Gun control means using both hands
    Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

;9
      Originally posted by Dagamus(NM) View Post
      click on reverse is your ABS. Nothing to worry about.

Get your wheels/tires balanced asap. If this was the e30 in your avatar I would suggest stiffening the from with a skid plate. Worked wonders with my e30 vert cowl shake.

Probably couldn't hurt, but if everything has been done in the suspension then the problem most likely lies within the wheels or drivetrain mounts.
      could you elaborate about abs? don't know too much about abs and would sure ease my mind. ya I'm guessing the wheels and tires definitely is where I'm gonna start. and drive train mounts ? were talk motor mounts, trans and diff mounts, dives haft center bushing and guibo? car is the e46 zhp 6mt. unfortunately that e30 in sig is gone now :( thanks for the help man!
      i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

also if its my abs why didn't it do this before all the work?
        i love bmws

Comment

Could it be okay in the steering system if you feel it into the front. Had a rack go bad on me recently and I could hear a clunking of gears in the rack

Comment

I don't know why the abs makes the clock on reverse but it does it once per time the abs computer is powered on. Something with the magnetic pickup maybe.
            sigpic
            Gun control means using both hands
            Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

did you remove or loosen the front subframe when you did the control arms? the front subframe being tightened up a smidge off will cause some funny issues.

Other things to look at: confirm once again (I know you mentioned you already did this, I'm saying double check) that there is no play, lift the front end. shake the tire left and right as well as up and down.. make sure theres no play. balance the tires, clean the hubs before putting them back on.. take a nice look at your guibo as well as your center support bushing..

IF ALL THIS FAILS, then you'd have to have someone drive it on a lift while you inspect underneath.. I understand you might not have access to these facilities, but thats what I have to offer ya, this is the process I'd do on my own car or a customer car, you'll find the issue.

I've seen a lot of e46's with similar customer complaints, most times I find control arm bushings or inner tie rods being the issue, like I said you'll be able to feel this if you have the front end in the air, the tire should move back and forth by hand thats normal rack movement, but you shouldn't feel an "empty clunk" before it moves the rack. Hope that helps man

87 325es - M50 Boosted - Link to BUILD THREAD
              07 328xi wagon 6mt - daily

Comment

sorry I missed the reverse clunk issue.. check the rear trailing arm and bushings for this issue... this would not cause vibrating in the steering wheel tho

87 325es - M50 Boosted - Link to BUILD THREAD
                07 328xi wagon 6mt - daily

Comment

Working...
                X