storing an engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

storing an engine

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but I have a complete ix engine in parts....the block has the pistons out and the head is off too. How do I store this engine until I get a chance to rebuild it?
    thanks,
    jm

I'd wipe everything down with some oil to prevent rusting, and try and wrap the head and pistons in cloth to stop then getting super dusty, or just careful when washing them after storage to prevent scratches maybe?

Comment

Just done this for a stripped down M30. Though I'm a bit anal...

Procure the following:

5 qts of fresh engine oil
      2 bags of shop rags from HF
      1 box of heavy duty contractor trash bags from Home Depot
      Clean large cloth
      2 small HF tarps
      1 Sharpie
      1 box of each assorted size sealable freezer bags
      Bubble wrap
      Newspaper
      3 6x6 wooden blocks

-

Pour oil into an oil drainer and soak the rags, a bit messy, use gloves.

Give everything a quick wipe down and cover with oil rag, put it into a sealed bag and label with the Sharpie.

Crate parts up with bubble wrap.

For the block and head, oil rag, bag up with zip tied large contractor bags and wrap with tarp - cut the excess tarp off with a box cutter and tie up with cord.

Specifically for the block - oil wipe the bores and fill them with oil rags, fill the crank void with larger oil rags, lay oil rags on the deck surface and tie in place with cord. Bag and tarp the block and park up on the 6x6 wooden blocks.

This doesn't take long and will stop grit and moisture ingress. I've had an engine sitting outside for a year in this state without any corrosion or crap getting in there.

Comment

thanks for the input

Thanks for the replies, will get to work before the dust takes over.
        thanks,
        jm

Comment

The bores and the head deck surface are the most important parts of the block to prevent rust.
          Instead of oil, use a product like cosmoline that's designed to be a preservative. You can also spray it on instead of soaking a bunch of rags/cloths in oil and having to deal with the resulting mess.
          Make sure you get it into the oil holes in the crankshaft as well.

You'll need to have a parts washer to remove the preservative when you're ready to use the parts.

Alternatively, if you have all the parts, just reassemble it. Pour a teaspoon of ATF into each cylinder and roll the engine over by hand a few times, then put the plugs back, tape up all the openings and put it in the corner. Redo the ATF procedure when ready to fire it back up.

Comment

Working...
          X