No announcement yet.

oem e30 keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I am going to order another key based on the PN / VIN and have it cut. The problem I have is my ignition key is different from the doors /trunk . So I'll order a new ignition lock based on the vin, with a matching cut key and hope it works for the doors also.
    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Anybody have any idea how much a lighted OEM key cut by BMW and ordered by VIN would cost? I haven't bought my key blank yet and if I can get a better final product going through the dealer I will.
      1987 BMW 325is | Frankenmotor S50 | Supersprint Replica Headers | K&N Intake | Gutted Stock Midpipe | Zimmermann Rotors | Stainless Brake Lines | Porterfield Racing Pads

Comment

I bought mine for around $42 last year. It was $3 more than a regular, non lighted key.

Originally posted by whysimon
        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

I'm assuming that dealer will give me a better product than taking a worn key and a key blank to a locksmith, right? A key blank on Ebay or through my friend will be around $30, so an extra $12 for BMW to cut it like new would be worth it.
          1987 BMW 325is | Frankenmotor S50 | Supersprint Replica Headers | K&N Intake | Gutted Stock Midpipe | Zimmermann Rotors | Stainless Brake Lines | Porterfield Racing Pads

Comment

If your existing worn key is a brass key, you are correct. If your existing key is a worn steel key, then perhaps your lock cylinder is also worn.

I made a copy of a brass key and it worked horribly. After I got a new key from the dealer, the lock and key combo worked like a champ.

Comment

you got ganked FredK. When I bought a key for the ETA it was something like $22 for the unlighted one. :(

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
              i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
              Originally posted by slammin.e28
              Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

HA! I dunno, this dealer didn't mark up prices that much. They're semi-reasonable for most stuff.

Comment

if you have a good key, just buy a blank on ebay and have it cut at a locksmith. thats what i did to the e28
                  NEED SOME VINYL STICKERS???

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                    HA! I dunno, this dealer didn't mark up prices that much. They're semi-reasonable for most stuff.
                    That's really odd considering i live in SoCal. I'm pretty sure my parts counter guy just likes E30s. When I bought the exhaust hanger donuts he quoted me like $25 each on the phone, but when I got there he sold me the pair for $12.

Moral of this story?

Comment

I really need another key. To get an OEM one made by VIN, who does it?
                      Dealership?
                      Or do i buy the key on ebay and then take it in ?
                      I only have one ILCO key. Works for everything but the glovebox.
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
                      1998 BMW Estoril Blue e36 M3/4/5 SOLD
                      1987 BMW 325 (The Piece) SOLD
                      1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

go to the dealership with your registration and tell them you need a key.

Moral of this story?

Comment

This is what I got when I went in there with my VIN to get a new key. The blade of the key is actually a separate part from the main body, it mounts in it with a set screw. I think the whole thing was like $23. Kinda steep, but it's the only one I've seen like it since. It also has a light, but we pulled it out and replaced it with an LED.

Comment

Originally posted by accident View Post
                            go to the dealership with your registration and tell them you need a key.
                            It wont be very expensive right? 20-30?
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
                            1998 BMW Estoril Blue e36 M3/4/5 SOLD
                            1987 BMW 325 (The Piece) SOLD
                            1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

I ended up getting a new key cut by the vin from the dealer. IIRC it was about $25.

It looks like this-

The one I got from ebay is not an e30 key blank...the e30 ones have a letter "S" and are shaped differently.

It didn't match my ignition lock cylinder, so I ended up buying a new one of those by the VIN as well (about $65).

Then I had a local locksmith make me a set of matching trunk/door lock cylinders to match the new key.

So nice to have a factory key and matching locks, not only is it easier to open with the correct size key but they also don't bend etc.
                              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

for anyone else with key issues, I just ordered and received a complete (used) lock set from Reggies Motorworks......glove tumbler, two front locks, ignition and trunk lock. It was like $150 shipped. I ve installed all but the ignition and they all work well. I understand he has a couple more in stock.
                                [sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X