M50B25 head work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M50B25 head work

First off I apologize if this has all been covered before. I searched and spent the better part of this morning/early afternoon reading up on cams and head work for a '92 E34 that I'm considering buying. Basically, it has an overheating problem, and while it might just be a symptom of an improperly bled cooling system, I plan on just replacing everything but the radiator (water pump, thermostat, expansion tank, hoses). I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst - a warped head. I figured that since the car will be a fairly inexpensive project, I can perform a few relatively cheap "while I'm in there" modifications. This is what I had in mind:

1) Swap to an S50 exhaust camshaft
    2) Resurface the head if it's salvageable, and raise compression a bit
    3) Install an inexpensive exhaust header (Raceland?)

First things first, the cams. I know that the hot setup seems to be running two stock intake cams, but apparently this can cause issues setting the timing and excessive timing chain noise since the intake cam is longer than the exhaust cam. However, since the S50 exhaust cam has the same specs as a non-VANOS M50 intake cam, I could have the same result without any of the headaches.

It seems that there is not a lot of valve clearance to begin with, so there is not a lot of room to work with. .010 seems to be what everyone is suggesting. However, with the cam setup I've mentioned above (stock M50 intake/stock S50 exhaust), will this work? If I don't mind raising compression and running 93 octane, what is the most I could realistically have removed?

Lastly, I have read good things about the Raceland header. I haven't heard great stuff about their VW suspension stuff. Does anyone care to chime in with their personal experiences?

Thanks for reading, and I appreciate any and all advice you can offer!
    Last edited by Camshaft; 08-12-2015, 07:00 AM. Reason: Spelling errors
    -Cam
    '11 Mazda2
    '96 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra
    '84 Porsche 911
    '88 Mazda RX-7
Working...
X