5 Lug/BBK Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Djmack View Post
    quick update: I didn't have the hub 100% seated in the bearing when i test fit this. This caused the caliper bracket to contact the rotor slightly. There were a few options i could have chosen to fix this issue but i decided to send my brackets to the machine shop to have them mill 2mm off the face of the bracket. It should allow the rotors to center in the bracket. Also, The e30 front brake lines used on the rear are too short for the calipers. My plan is just to use the short lines and fill the gap with a hard line and coupling. More pictures to come.
    Are you not trying to retain ebrake? I am interested in what you come up with. You could have knocked of 2mm easily with a grinding wheel.
    How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
      Are you not trying to retain ebrake? I am interested in what you come up with. You could have knocked of 2mm easily with a grinding wheel.
      PM sent. I'll update the rest of yall when i get everything installed and put together, i don't want to give out any misinformation.

Comment

I did not receive a PM.

Comment

5 lug bbk

Can we get more kits made if we can organize another group buy?
          Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by JIMBOkye View Post
            The rear e46 m3 ID is much larger, so are the parking shoes, but I think I came up with a solution. I'll try to do it this weekend.
            you ever figure anything out?
            -Alex

Comment

Yes! I want to get the car on the road and test it all (did an engine rebuilt simultaneously with this swap) before I share what I did in case it ends up needing modification. I have installed e36 m3 master cylinder and booster, e46 m3 front and rear calipers and rotors and e46 m3 parking brake. Sitting in the garage it all seems to work. I should have it on the road in less than a month (where have I heard that before...)
              sigpic

1989 325is
              1992 525iT w/ S52 swap - SOLD

Comment

I have one of these kits for sale. Brand new, I'll consider trades for 18mm 42 Draft Design spacers.
                My Garage
                2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by JIMBOkye View Post
                  Yes! I want to get the car on the road and test it all (did an engine rebuilt simultaneously with this swap) before I share what I did in case it ends up needing modification. I have installed e36 m3 master cylinder and booster, e46 m3 front and rear calipers and rotors and e46 m3 parking brake. Sitting in the garage it all seems to work. I should have it on the road in less than a month (where have I heard that before...)
                  Did everything work out? Was there any need for modification? What did you do to run rear E46M3 brake setup?

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                    Did everything work out? Was there any need for modification? What did you do to run rear E46M3 brake setup?
                    There are some modifications... I should have it all together this weekend. I'll post how I did it then (as long as it works)
                    sigpic

1989 325is

Comment

Please do, that would be awesome!
                      My Garage
                      2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                      1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                      1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                      Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Unfortunately I have been traveling for work a lot the last 3 or so weeks. I am sorry I have not updated. I have the brakes all together, but the parking brakes are hanging up a bit and I will need to adjust somethings to stop that I think. A summary of what I did so far:
                        Front and rear calipers are from an e46 m3
                        Master Cylinder from e36 m3
                        Rear parking brakes and hardware from e46 m3
                        I had to get the rear adapter that came in this kit milled down by 6mm to get everything to fit (probably because I bought the z hubs, not the e30 m3's). Also this required some serious triming to the dust shields in the back. I drilled 4 new holes in the dust shield for the parking brake retainers and then drilled holes in the retainers so I could clip them onto the dust shield to prevent them from falling inside the barking brake drum. I also had to notch the parking brake shoes so the piece the cable actuates could mate up.... I'll post pictures when I get home, but I think my current problem is I maybe have messed up where to drill the new holes in the dust cover for the retainers so the shoe is out of alignment and dragging badly... Does this all make sense?
                        sigpic

1989 325is

Comment

What's the inner diameter of the E30 rear rotor and ID of the E46 rotor? I'm wondering if you could just buy new shoes and adjust them all the way out. Because yeah drilling the holes for the hardware looks like something I could easily mess up haha
                          -Alex

Comment

Okay, so I finally got it all together, and the brakes are all working well now, including the emergency brake.

Like I said before, I'm running E46 M3 front and rear brakes, with working Ebrake, and an e36 M3 master cylinder.

The fronts go together using the kit no problem. No modifications needed other than removing or cutting the dust shield. I used e36 M3 front bearing/hubs.

The rear took a lot more work...

I used Z4 Hubs for my swap. I'm sure all this will be different if you go with E30 M3 hubs.

First thing I had to do was mill the adapters that came with this kit down 6 mm.

To get the E brake to work is a bit wonkey. I purchased e46 m3 shoes and a hardware kit (springs pins etc.)
                            I had to cut a slit in the new shoes at the bottom where they are actuated from. I thought I wrote this measurement down, but I can't find it... Pictures show it though

I then had to drill new holes for the brake shoe retaining pins in the e30's heavily cut away dust shield. I just sort of eyeballed it and it worked pretty well. I ended up having to sand away a small amount of the brake shoes to fit, I think if I had measured where to drill these holes I would not have had to do that...

I drilled holes in the pins so I could put a cottor pin in there to prevent the brake shoe retention pin from falling back into the drum...

And like I said, you have to trim A LOT of the dust shield. This is the only part that made me nervous. It is to the point where the E-brake is sort of open in the back...

Like I said I also put in an e36 M3 master.

I took the booster, cut the tip off, welded a bolt on, threaded the e30's adapter/adjuster piece, and then modified the firewall to fit the e36's bolt pattern. here are a couple of pics:

If anyone has any questions or would like to see any more pics, I'll try to check this thread regularly for awhile.

Now if only I could figure out my fuel delivery problem, this might be a fun car to drive!
                            sigpic

1989 325is

Comment

Damn fine work, man. Hows it holding up?
                              -Alex

Comment

Working...
                              X