DIY: In depth M52/S52 OBD2 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimmy85'E30 View Post
    I have done the eta swap in my e30, and it took me about 20 hours, I am curious about how much this would be? I have a e36 m3 I am going to be swapping whatever I need off of. Any idea or am I asking too much here... Anything helps.
    Thanks,
    Jimmy
    I've seen people say they can do this over a weekend, but it took me several months of evenings and the occasional weekend day to get it done. Seemed like every time I turned around I was missing some part.
    S52-Powered 1987
    sigpic

Comment

You live in California, so I'm assuming you took it through a BAR inspection. What's needed to pass?

Comment

are these pictures working for anyone else? just shows a little box with a ? in it. Kinda need this as a reference haha

Comment

Most don't work for me either. Hopefully the go back up. I will need these soon to lol.

Sent from my LG-VS985 using Tapatalk

Comment

Hey everyone, I realize that the pictures are down. It looks like the image hosting site I used back in the day is no longer around. I might have some of the pictures on my computer or an old phone, but I fear that some of them were directly uploaded to the hosting site and I might not have them. So I'll either have to hunt or try to take some new pictures of what I can.

I am super busy with school, so idk when this will happen. I have made some edits to the OP already in regards to links and stuff and will fix the pictures slowly but surely.

I'm sorry gang
            Last edited by craiggroves91; 03-18-2016, 06:33 PM.
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
            1998 BMW Estoril Blue e36 M3/4/5 SOLD
            1987 BMW 325 (The Piece) SOLD
            1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

Originally posted by craiggroves91 View Post
              Hey everyone, I realize that the pictures are down. It looks like the image hosting site I used back in the day is no longer around. I might have some of the pictures on my computer or an old phone, but I fear that some of them were directly uploaded to the hosting site and I might not have them. So I'll either have to hunt or try to take some new pictures of what I can.

I am super busy with school, so idk when this will happen. I have made some edits to the OP already in regards to links and stuff and will fix the pictures slowly but surely.

I'm sorry gang
              ASAP would be great. I am just starting the process.

Comment

For those running the m50 manifold on the m/s52... What throttle body are you running? My motor didn't come with a throttle body and there's a local guy selling an m50 intake manifold and throttle body. Curious as to which throttle body I should run. I would prefer to keep obd2 if I can.

Comment

If you're staying OBDII you want the S52 throttle body.
                  -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
                  '95 525iT
                  '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
                  '98 Disco 1

Comment

use whatever throttle body you want, but the gasket setup switches between OBD1/2 manifolds, so I ran the OBD1 TB with the M50 manifold instead of making some sort of sealing plate.

Unless you're retaining ASC-T or whatever and need the extra throttle body.
                    Originally posted by priapism
                    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                    Originally posted by shameson
                    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I have a 1997 bmw m3 with s52 in it that I plan to swap into my 89 e30
                      What else would I need ?

Not sure on what tranny is in it I know it has the orange sticker on the tranny and it's a 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by Leroyjenkins View Post
                        I have a 1997 bmw m3 with s52 in it that I plan to swap into my 89 e30
                        What else would I need ?

Not sure on what tranny is in it I know it has the orange sticker on the tranny and it's a 5 speed
                        Go back to page one of this thread and start taking notes.
                        S52-Powered 1987
                        sigpic

Comment

You guys are in luck! I am finding some pictures from old phones on my laptop and I am uploading them to photobucket and getting on the thread. We will be back to being the most popular unstickied S52 swap tutorial!
                          Last edited by craiggroves91; 10-11-2016, 12:27 AM.
                          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
                          1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

You guys are in luck! I am finding some pictures from old phones on my laptop and I am uploading them to photobucket and getting on the thread. We will be back to being the most popular unstickied S52 swap tutorial!

Hahah wonderful maybe they will sticky it now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            /// MTech Belts ///

S52 BUILD

M3 VERT BUILD

Comment

Yes!!! I'm at the point in my swap with coolant lines and such that made those pictures you found extremely helpful. I owe you a beer once my car gets on the road.

For the metal hose to overflow tank is this the hose you used and cut? And if I'm understanding correctly I can use what's left of that hose for one of the heater core hoses as well.

And since my car is a 318is as yours is, what temp sensor/switch did you use for the radiator to get the SPAL fan to turn on? M20 one?
                              Last edited by AllydNYC; 10-11-2016, 10:16 AM.
                              E30: '91 318is - M52/ZF320 | Azev A 16X7.5 | H&R Race/Bilstein | Completely refreshed suspension/brakes/drivetrain

An Associate/Bachelors degree is America's most overrated product

Comment

Originally posted by AllydNYC View Post
                                Yes!!! I'm at the point in my swap with coolant lines and such that made those pictures you found extremely helpful. I owe you a beer once my car gets on the road.

For the metal hose to overflow tank is this the hose you used and cut? And if I'm understanding correctly I can use what's left of that hose for one of the heater core hoses as well.

And since my car is a 318is as yours is, what temp sensor/switch did you use for the radiator to get the SPAL fan to turn on? M20 one?
                                I'll be expecting a beer :)

For the hose I can't tell you for sure as it was a while ago that I hacked it up, but that seems to be it. I remember using the leftovers in several places.

I use the 82 degree switch by FAE #36050

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1989 BMW 325i SOLD

Comment

Working...
                                X