No announcement yet.

DIY: In depth M52/S52 OBD2 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I have a 98 M3 that Is currently my Daily I want to swap everything from it into an e30. I'm not really good at electrical stuff. Can someone breakdown what all I need to do to mate the e36 engine harness to the e30 harness?

Comment

Hockey puck early model e30 S54 radiator mount

Originally posted by raj View Post
      I fit a MZ3 S54 radiator to an early model with custom mounts. I was unable to find an OEM solution so a friend had the idea to make simple mounts with hockey pucks and bolts. Works amazingly well and cost almost nothing. PM if you want a picture.

This is the part number you want: 17112227281
      In for a photo of the hockey puck solution. Did you freeze the puck first raj?

Comment

Originally posted by Shockwave103 View Post
        So I have a 98 M3 that Is currently my Daily I want to swap everything from it into an e30. I'm not really good at electrical stuff. Can someone breakdown what all I need to do to mate the e36 engine harness to the e30 harness?
        I can see you're a newbie, so I won't go off too much, but FFS, if you simply start at the beginning of this thread you'll see the recommendations for doing the wiring.
        [Edit] Sorry, I see that the start of this thread doesn't cover electrical much. However, this post does: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20&postcount=1

That said, if you're a complete electrical doofus, and that's a technical term, I'd suggest just saving your pennies and paying somebody to modify the harness or buy an adaptor.
        S52-Powered 1987
        sigpic

Comment

the stock one works fine, you just need to drill new holes in the firewall and move it away from the engine about 1 inch or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockwave103 View Post
            If you would like to have you e36 harness modified or if you rather just get an adapter, I can help you out.
            You can check out the link in my signature below
            PNP Adapter Harness Wiring for M52TU, M54, S54, M60, M62, M62TU, S62, M50, S50, M52, S52 & MORE

sigpic

Comment

I finally fix all the pictures after min.us fails and now photobucket won't host for free anymore haha... can't win.

One day I will have the photos hosted by the forum
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
              1998 BMW Estoril Blue e36 M3/4/5 SOLD
              1987 BMW 325 (The Piece) SOLD
              1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

Originally posted by craiggroves91 View Post
                I finally fix all the pictures after min.us fails and now photobucket won't host for free anymore haha... can't win.

One day I will have the photos hosted by the forum
                flickr is life
                1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                  flickr is life
                  But how long until something happens with them?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
                  1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

But how long until something happens with them?
                    Seriously, though. I think about that all the time. I have a 56 page build thread that went down with photobucket on a different forum. I'm hoping flickr holds out.

Thanks for your work on this thread, it has helped me greatly!
                    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

I'd love to follow this, any way to update the picture host?

Comment

^^^ very interested and pics would be awsome

Comment

Originally posted by eThirtyAaron View Post
                          I'd love to follow this, any way to update the picture host?
                          +1! I am completing an S52 OBD swap and there are a few pics I'd love to see! :)
                          '90 325is/S52
                          '76 2002
                          '74 2002tii
                          '06 325i sedan
                          '05 X5 3.0i
                          '86 Alfa Spider Veloce

Comment

Originally posted by RenaissanceMan View Post
                            +1! I am completing an S52 OBD swap and there are a few pics I'd love to see! :)
                            Sorry I am very busy with work. I'll try to find time to hunt down the pictures. I made this so long ago I have to search through all my documents for them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1989 BMW 325i SOLD

Comment

Sorry I am very busy with work. I'll try to find time to hunt down the pictures. I made this so long ago I have to search through all my documents for them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                              There is an extension in Google chrome that bypasses the dumb Photobucket bs. Works for me but sadly only on my PC.

Comment

Does anybody have suggestions as to why s52s often get converted to the OBD1 coolant hose during OBD1 swaps?

Is it just so that the s50 intake manifold brackets don't hit the metal pipe as it goes to the expansion tank?

I am not excited about using epoxy to glue in the adapter barb for the rubber hose.

I have the m/s50 manifold swap stuff for adapting the s52 mounts to the m50 manifold, I would like to know if anybody has any other reason why the adapter and rubber hose would be better than the metal pipe.
                                sigpic
                                Gun control means using both hands
                                Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

Working...
                                X