M10 mild performance rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M10 mild performance rebuild

So i know i've seen lots of posts asking about m10 performance parts but most of these only seem to go into the bolt on options (which are useless) and cams and don't really get into any sort of nitty gritty build details. What i'm debating on is that I know i want to build a motor for my e30 in the not so distant future. I have an 85 318i and I want to retain the same weight and handling characteristics but get a bit of a boost in power.

Essentially what i'm trying to figure out is if i was able to get the rotating assembly from a 2002, and had custom pistons made so it retained the same compression ratio that my 318i has stock but was 2.0L of displacement, combining that with the 318 head and a mild cam would i be able to reasonably expect a motor that puts out 130hp at the crank and passes emissions (i live in california) with the stock injection system?

Hoping some other people have done some builds like this, i'm in no rush to finish the build as my current m10 works fine so i'd be able to hunt for deals on some of the parts. Realistically I don't want it to be a speed demon but if i cant even get 130hp at the crank from a build like that then i might as well plan on doing an m42 swap and getting it BAR legal.

I was thinking M42 swap, too. The early cars seem to be noticably lighter,
    which makes the swap that much more attractive. And the M42 will respond to
    a bit of chip, too.

Yes, you can put a 2l crank in there, and you could probably even modify E21 pistons
    (if you could find them cheaply enough) to fit the 1.8i head- they're similar enough,
    and you don't need a lot of dome volume to get compression back up.

Alternately, just use the E21/E12 head of your choice with matching pistons that get the compression
    up to 9.x:1 and you'd be doing pretty well. Yes, it'd not be technically CA legal,
    but I bet you could get away with it, especially if it blew legal out the tailpipe.

The E30 efi seems to hold up ok to that setup in 2002's.

hth

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

There are many things you can do with the m10 and I encourage you to stick with it! I've rebuilt my m10 completely for boost. You could do upgraded pistons and rods, 144mm rods and a shorter piston with a 2l crank to stroke out the engine. That's what I did. You can also do a head rebuild with port and polish.

Check out my thread on my m10. I'm almost done. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

The m10 Turbo thread! http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=342633

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just buy my car:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438607159.702149.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	7177929

Engine was built by Korman Motorworks.
        The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Yeah if I didn't live in California I'd plan on boost and megasquirt but alas I need it to visually look stock because even if it passes a sniffer all it takes is a smog tech to say he doesn't think somethings smog legal and I might have to visit a ref.

Do u know about how much HP your getting with the side drafts, metric mechanics say their m10s that pass emissions put out about 150 at the crank but who knows if that's just optimistic.

Comment

Look on Ireland Engineering under 2002 parts. They have a bunch of great upgrade parts.

Comment

I'll have to keep them in mind, just looked on the sight and they do have the pistons you need to use with the 318i head so thats already good to know.

Really i've got a couple things that are up in the air financially right now that once they get settled in if i can find a steal on a 2002 m10 I may just be in business. I'd really like to get a motor built in the garage to just drop in so i'm in no huge rush because my e30 runs and is my DD right now so as parts come my way i'll get it figured out.

I will say though ireland engineerings website has so many goodies :).

Comment

Just buy my car:
                and Dear God, get some sort of air filter on it!

<grin>

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                  and Dear God, get some sort of air filter on it!

<grin>

t

I have ITG foam elements. She is just sitting right now.
                  The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Most of my build is from IE Motorsports. They have quality parts. Check my thread on all of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Rom, if you're in CA, the carbs won't fly there.

That's where the M42 really will win- swap all the parts, document it,
                      and if you have to get ref'd, you WILL be able to pass-
                      you've 'upgraded' to a cleaner, more modern engine.

Not to say it will be easy, but it WILL be legal when you're done.

Then you can chip it afterwards...

t

Comment

If you use a 2002 block, make sure to do some homework about engine mounts.

Comment

...as in, the bosses aren't there for the E21/E30 engine mounts. But the 2002 parts to go 2l will fit into the E30 block,
                          you use E30 ancillaries, and get a genuine 2 liters for a few (up to 20) fewer pounds than
                          a 2002 block...

t

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                            Rom, if you're in CA, the carbs won't fly there.

That's where the M42 really will win- swap all the parts, document it,
                            and if you have to get ref'd, you WILL be able to pass-
                            you've 'upgraded' to a cleaner, more modern engine.

Not to say it will be easy, but it WILL be legal when you're done.

Then you can chip it afterwards...

t
                            Thats my only other consideration, i understand the carbs wont fly for smog so essentially I would be stuck running the stock injection system. Really the appeal to building the m10 is that its different, and its a swap I can do in a weekend if i build the motor on the side then drop it in.

Really it comes down to also if i can get an 02 motor for cheap to get the rotating assembly, if that comes together for me then I know i'm building an m10 for sure. Got a couple months before i can do that though as i finally moved into a house and have my 86 xr4ti i gotta fix so it will smog.

Comment

"Mild performmance rebuild"

Raise compression, increase displacement, add lift and duration to cam. Make sure you're using a head with the 46/38mm valves.
                              Put it together with thought. Replace every worn or suspicious part.
                              Pretty much the route I'm going with M10. Don't know any other route and don't know how to do it without spending a few coins. Check out my project topic about my parts pile, you'll get a general idea of what I'm doing.

Jarno

Comment

Working...
                              X