• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farkin' oath, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooffenstein HD View Post
      Not drunk, just Australian.
      I swear man, this is why I want to live in Australia.

I love Australians
      Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Walter Sobchak does not approve.
        Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
        Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
        One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

I guess I must be in denial, but the idea that you have to love John McCain or you are un-American. The hyperbole running out of Maher's mouth is really not funny and completely undermines his arguments.

That's what makes him impossible to watch unless you have an incredible amount of hatred in your heart for anything conservative.
          Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
          Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
          Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

I don't think Maher was saying you need to love John McCain. The point he was making is that John McCain has most certainly served his country, whether it is in the form of military service or as a politician, which makes Trumps slight about his service irksome.

Comment

Originally posted by mbonder View Post
              I don't think Maher was saying you need to love John McCain. The point he was making is that John McCain has most certainly served his country, whether it is in the form of military service or as a politician, which makes Trumps slight about his service irksome.
              I think the greater issue is that McCain has ridden on the coat-tails of his POW experience for far too long. I certainly believe that vets should be honored for their service, but that's not a license for being a fuck-wad either. McCain is a fuck-wad. It was a comment directed specifically to him, not all veterans.

For instance, decay was a vet in Iraq. I respect his service, but I won't stop calling him out just because he served in Iraq.

If you believe that serving in the military gives someone a license to not be criticized, then I think you are doing yourself and the world a disservice.

Would it be better to stick to the issues? Should Trump have attacked McCain for his record instead of going low? Yeah, maybe so. But that's not Trump's style, he goes low. I have no issue with it.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not a McCain supporter, and having been in the military doesn't remove you from debate on the same level as everyone else.

My point here is that I don't think you can ever make the statement that McCain hasn't served his country. Even if he was never in the military, having been in politics for so long would still qualify him as having completed service to his country. Which is what Trump attacked him for, which I think is the point Maher was trying to make in the clip.

I guess I'm curious why you are ok with the person representing the country "going low"?

In my mind shouldn't he rise above some of that now that he's the official face of the nation?

I'm not attacking you here, I'm genuinely curious as you're not the first person to express this same feeling and it's the first time that I've come across this sentiment in regard to the president.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not a McCain supporter, and having been in the military doesn't remove you from debate on the same level as everyone else.

My point here is that I don't think you can ever make the statement that McCain hasn't served his country. Even if he was never in the military, having been in politics for so long would still qualify him as having completed service to his country. Which is what Trump attacked him for, which I think is the point Maher was trying to make in the clip.

I guess I'm curious why you are ok with the person representing the country "going low"?

In my mind shouldn't he rise above some of that now that he's the official face of the nation?

I'm not attacking you here, I'm genuinely curious as you're not the first person to express this same feeling and it's the first time that I've come across this sentiment in regard to the president.
                  No, and the reason why its ok to go low is because for decades, we have been rising above and constantly getting hammered. I, as a conservative, am tired of being marginalized by people who do not treat me with the same respect we have been giving the opposition for years.

This is one of the reasons why Trump won and all the other republican candidates have not: He is not afraid to call out bullshit he feels he is being attacked for. More over, he does it with massive flair.

In McCain's case, the guy is a RINO. I am under no illusion that Trump is a Classical Liberal, but that has no bearing on the self-serving piece of trash that John McCain is, his service notwithstanding. Straight shooting down of the establishment is what we, who voted for Trump, want from him. That's why no one gave a crap about those comments.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

As a member of the military, yes he served his country, but as a politician, he has served himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                      As a member of the military, yes he served his country, but as a politician, he has served himself.
                      Keating 5

for those who don't know about McCain

You're John McCain, a fallen hero who wanted to become president so desperately that you sold yourself to Charlie Keating, the wealthy con man who bears such an incredible resemblance to The Joker. Obviously, Keating thought you could make it to the White House, too. He poured $112,000 into your...
                      “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                      Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Just wait until we find out John McCain has been the WH leak all along.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                          Just wait until we find out John McCain has been the WH leak all along.
                          would perhaps be a fitting end to a checkered history
                          “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                          Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                            Walter Sobchak does not approve.
                            Walter was a man of contradictions. Remember "China-man is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian American, please". Sounds pretty PC to me.

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
                              No, and the reason why its ok to go low is because for decades, we have been rising above and constantly getting hammered. I, as a conservative, am tired of being marginalized by people who do not treat me with the same respect we have been giving the opposition for years.

This is one of the reasons why Trump won and all the other republican candidates have not: He is not afraid to call out bullshit he feels he is being attacked for. More over, he does it with massive flair.
                              I see your point here that in a sense you need to fight fire with fire so to speak, but Trump won. At this point he's not going to be marginalized because he's the most powerful man on earth.

Just seems like he should be more "presidential". I don't know if there is an exact definition for what that entails, but all caps on twitter doesn't seem to fall into that category.

Who knows, but that's my observation.

The other half of the point about McCain, I'd say that he has definitely become very self-serving as a politician, but I don't think he started out that way. His biggest issue now is that he can't realize that his time has passed and that he should exit the stage. After his failed presidential bid that's exactly what he should have done and no one would have faulted him for it, but everything after that has definitely hurt his image in the eyes of many, including me.

Comment

Working...
                              X