No announcement yet.

stroking a m42?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what about some cams and a Multi throttle body intake, and maybe MS. you could probably put down atleast 160+ i would think. I am beginning to like driving my 318is. I wouldn't mind a bit more go though.

Comment

some of us don't have to worry about smogging. gray market smog exempt. my euro 320i is smog exempt. dont ask me how, but even on the title it says non-catalyst. no cat from the factory and passed inspection like that! plus the county i live in requires no exhaust gas check. digitalway, with m44 crank it is closer to 11.02:1 or something. gotta call peteMC up again.

Comment

I think getting 160 to the wheels out of an M42 is a unicorn, you might hear tons about it, but no one has ever seen it...160 crank maybe, but wheels, hrmm...

having an m42 built would cost what, in comparison to a 2.5L m50 swap (which would probably have a lot more torque...)?
        BEERTECH

Comment

well that may be, but it would be a cool project. The 318is so nimble that for some it isn't worth the hp to throw off the weight distribution, that being said. If was to mod my 318 i would swap an s50. Unless for some reason i had unlimited funds to play with.

Comment

Why, The increase of stoke would make more Tq and not gain that much lbs.

If some one is willing to do it then so be it let them. Maybe they don't want to upset the balance of the 318iS.

Comment

I dont remember where I said 'dont do it!DFOJNSDOGJN", I simply made arguments against it. *shrug*
              BEERTECH

Comment

Originally posted by SchnellerVert
                Why, The increase of stoke would make more Tq and not gain that much lbs.
                Increase in torque from a stroked M42 ~20-30ft lbs, from a fully sorted touring car-style rebuild. (max torque peak at probably 7k) The S42 touring car engines IIRC only made ~180ft lbs.

Increase in torque from swapping a lowly 2.5L M50 ~at least 30ft-lbs gain, with more from mods.

Despite the fact that you've 'stroked' the engine, you are still down when it comes to the displacement game.

Fun street engines have gobs of torque.

If you want torque from a M42, blow it, or spend gobs of money increasing the redline of the engine, and bolt up at least a 4.5:1 ratio differential.

Don't get me wrong, the M42 is a good design. And I'm sure it would be a killer set up with a 9k redline..... in a car that weighs less than a E30 (i.e. Lotus 7 replica)
                San Diego BMW repair -> Jake @ www.littlecarshop.com Great guy :up:

Comment

Originally posted by Bavarian3
                  Where in Tampa are you located? Coming to the AutoX in Brooksville this Sunday?

i'm near ray j...didn't even know about it but my girl's from brooksville. where? what time? you going?

Comment

http://members.shaw.ca/kfgroup/sr20det.htm

check that out...enough said

Comment

i think im gunna install a chip, intake, exhuast, flywheel, itbs, and maybe a MAF and some porting and polishing and call it a day. Anything more seems to have a dump cost/hp ratio, although a dasc might be worth it

Comment

Originally posted by split6752
                        http://members.shaw.ca/kfgroup/sr20det.htm

check that out...enough said

perhaps an explanation of how that pertains to a thread about building m42s?
                        BEERTECH

Comment

Well there has been alot of talk about modding a m42, alot of people dont agree with it because its a 4cyl and its to costly to make ALOT of power out of an M42. I was just posting that site because i thought it was rather interesting and a different alternative than just swapping an m20 or 50 or any of the S series engines. SR20DET's have alot of potential

Comment

thats a pretty fucking stupid comment. (RE a post that got deleted)
                            Last edited by Streetspec_iS; 10-02-2005, 10:19 PM.
                            sigpicM42 Brigade ... Throwing craze in the 318

Comment

Originally posted by split6752
                              Well there has been alot of talk about modding a m42, alot of people dont agree with it because its a 4cyl and its to costly to make ALOT of power out of an M42. I was just posting that site because i thought it was rather interesting and a different alternative than just swapping an m20 or 50 or any of the S series engines. SR20DET's have alot of potential

Fair enough. I'd love 250whp in my 318, because I think 240 interiors are awful in comparison.
                              BEERTECH

Comment

winnar ;p

Comment

Working...
                                X