stroking a m42?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmm, nice thread resurrection.

I have a stroker build that's coming along quite nicely.

M44 crank
    modified S52 pistons (I decked them 2mm and did new valve pockets)
    M44 rods (much lighter)
    Lightweight wrist pins from CP

This combo will be good for 1996cc's and 10.5:1CR

Lifters from VW's AEG engine work and they are much lighter
    I have a late head with 6mm valve stems
    lightweight cam gears (I am teh machinist, why not? :))

I'm still not sure what do do about cams, but I am exploring some possibilities. I have regrinds in my car now but the lift is less than stock and they really arent that impressive. I dont want to pay the $$ for schricks, but I might end up doing it.

With the lighter valvetrain I'm going to set the revlimit at a conservative 7500. Hoping for 140-150whp

I just need to get a flywheel and clutch so I can have the bottom end balanced, and then assemble it. Well, i also need to get the vw lifters, some seals and bearings, and work out the cam situation. I might just use my Delta regrinds to get it broken in.

Comment

Originally posted by ehlpitel View Post
      Everyone who has dreams of building the M42 has to realize it has a harmonic balancer that is no good past 7200 rpm, that is the first obstacle in building a M42 screamer. The second, third and so on are as follow: it needs solid lifters, it needs Megasquirt, which no-one has been able to setup on the M42, YET, and the e30 M42 lacks knock sensors...
      All these things have been proven false. Metric mechanic has had race motors past 8000rpm using the cast (GASP) M44 crank and stock harmonic balancer.

Comment

Originally posted by el_4ever View Post
        i'm near ray j...didn't even know about it but my girl's from brooksville. where? what time? you going?
        It's at the Brooksville Airport.
        253rwhp

My Vids(OLD)
        http://www.youtube.com/user/aeryk7#p/a/u/0/hS4ZAzSdUdY
        http://www.youtube.com/user/aeryk7#p/u/2/C-0hnV2k_xU

Comment

Originally posted by AdamF 88iS View Post
          And it would last about 6 months before needing a rebuild.

The head is decent on M42s, the problem is finding a good crank and cams for it.
          i have the crank 88mm for $550 + postage
          Last edited by frost_dxb; 07-18-2007, 02:34 AM.
          2002 C200 KOMPRESSOR
          1995 318i - M42B21 on the making
          1986 325e - Just another Project
          1989 M6 - SOLD in DXB

Comment

There was a Hartge 2.1 M44 on ebay.de two weeks ago, went for big dollars.

Comment

Sorry if someone already said this... But can't the lifter problem be solved with some euro s50 bits? I believe those are the parts, sorry if I'm mistaken. I've never built an m42 before.

~Zar4

Comment

Originally posted by swimstarguy View Post
                Sorry if someone already said this... But can't the lifter problem be solved with some euro s50 bits? I believe those are the parts, sorry if I'm mistaken. I've never built an m42 before.

~Zar4
                sure, but the parts are very expensive..

Comment

Originally posted by 2002maniac View Post
                  sure, but the parts are very expensive..
                  This is an m42 build; it's going to be expensive. But it would help extend the RPM range, that will free up a lot of space to work with.

~Zar4

Comment

Working...
                  X